Covid-19 #3: It's More Personal Than Ever

Zorral

The US is so sick that watching the price being set like this is just a spectator sport for wall street and people like deathcultchief, because, you know, it can be done it should be done so let it be done!  And then demand AOC be put in jail for ripping us a new one for letting it be.

27 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I was legit wondering if you were keeping human males somehow which I still consider a possibility that this could be so, but I am also reminded of Guava!!  :love:

What is Danzig's problem that he can't get solid on appropriate behavior?  

Young Boring Danzig is now following all the COVID protocols. But if he was symptomatic he’d be sent elsewhere (I would do the same to myself and demand he care for the cats while I sequestered myself elsewhere)

4 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Dude, you are looking at this very narrowly, and I'm honestly disappointed (total side note, and awkward moment, but I love you dude):

I think the problem is that you are seeing this like "how can we save human lives at a sustainable cost?" 

Great way to look at it.  But another way to look at it is "Does it sound like a badaas goblin-slaying blade in a fantasy realm regardless of what it does in the real world?"  

So tough call on how to frame it.  

I'll admit to being torn between giving this a laugh or sad reaction. 

I deferred to the laugh, so do imagine I'm laughing.

Sadly.

[tips hat]

How much is too much? Sister and I just had a huge fight about who’s under or overreacting the coronavirus situation. 

Obviously I don’t think I’m overdoing it and obviously she doesn’t think she’s underdoing it. Technically we are both following all guidelines and restrictions that are in place. We wear masks in shops and on public transport, we sanitize hands when signs so request, we aren’t traveling abroad and obviously aren’t attending events that are closed. 

I do sanitize groceries and essentially everything I buy, I regularly sanitize my hands throughout the day when I’m out and about, but I use a lot of public transport, even trains that are longer than 15-20 minutes. I also always sanitize my phone, wallet, keys, sunglasses, glasses. handbag after I get home, I wash masks after each use and I frequently wash canvas shopping bags as well. I also wipe heavy traffic areas (kitchen counter, where we unload all our shit upon getting home) multiple times a day. I avoid crowds and feel anxious to go to grocery stores at peak time, though I do shop multiple times a week. I frequent cafes, restaurants multiple times a week as well and aim to sit outside even if I don’t always succeed. I only mop once a week, and I only remember to wipe down light switches, alarm panel, door handles about once a week too. I don’t wear rubber gloves anywhere. I wouldn’t go on holiday locally, or someone would have to pay me a hefty amount to make me go to a lakeside hotel and I would never ever for any amount of money take a trip abroad. 

Sister is a little unreliable with sanitizing her purchases, phone and bags, though sometimes I manage to guilt trip her into it and sometimes she just does it herself. She does wear masks but she doesn’t really wash them regularly and sometimes remembers to sanitize her hands throughout the day too. She does always wash them when she gets home. She has been using public transport and visiting cafes and restaurants as much as I do, and she also had a couple nights out with friends (this is miraculously, and to my narrow little mind inexplicably  allowed, pubs and clubs are allowed to be stay open at their regular hours and people are allowed to visit under 500-person events , so it isn’t technically against any guidelines or restrictions). She’s also going on a 3 day trip with them to a friend’s vacation house at previously mentioned lakeside. But she doesn’t travel abroad nor would she if she had the chance. 

Having made a written assessment, the difference is mostly in the mindset. Sister’s always got to be on the move she can’t sit still on her arse, she’s highly social and rather scattered and absent minded. While I’ve been an introverted, control freak worry worm for as long as I’ve lived. And that’s just a fundamental difference we should handle and live with. Well 2020 has not been kind to my mental health anyway, and scary and traumatizing events, serious changes aside from or loosely related to coronavirus are in the baggage as well. 

So as an objective outside viewpoint, do you all think that either of us tends to over or underdo coronavirus precautions? 
context: we live in a city of 2 million people, which has 2050ish confirmed cases in total and 180ish active cases. (We do test rather little so it’s likely that these numbers are somewhat higher in reality) The virus situation wasn’t ever nearly as severe here as in Spain, Italy or the UK or even France and Germany as more heavily hit countries in Europe. 

I haven't sanitized a single thing other than general normal house cleaning. Didn't realise that was a thing tbh. So I'd side with your sister personally. 

Why would you sanitise your phone? Is someone else using it also? 

A lot of this seems super over the top to me but maybe it's me who's not taking it seriously enough. 

20 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

I haven't sanitized a single thing other than general normal house cleaning. Didn't realise that was a thing tbh. So I'd side with your sister personally. 

Why would you sanitise your phone? Is someone else using it also? 

A lot of this seems super over the top to me but maybe it's me who's not taking it seriously enough. 

Because you touch it and touch your face and then you touch all kinds of other stuff. I don’t bring my phone into stores and I use hand sanitizer before I get out of the car and when I get back. I have sanitizing wipes for my phone when I get to work and before I leave because I need it to maintain my schedule and to take pictures of work. If you are not sanitizing your phone, and not cleaning your hands after touching it, you are contaminating things. 

My understanding of the most likely pathways of infection are being in crowds around other people and touching something and then touching your face.    If you wear a mask in public and wash/sanitize your hands after being out and about and before eating or doing anything that requires touching your face, you have taken the two most effective preventative steps.  

The rest depends on your living situation.   Are you living alone, just with your sister, or with a lot more people?   And do you have a lot of guests coming over?   The more traffic in the home, the more inclined to do a more thorough/frequent cleaning.   But if its just you and your immediate family, and no one has tested positive or shows any symptoms, it may be a bit of overkill.

Wiping down the phone makes some sense, you are handling it all day, even when you out in public, and it is something you often put near your face even when you don't have a mask on, so can't hurt to clean it when you come home.

22 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Because you touch it and touch your face and then you touch all kinds of other stuff. I don’t bring my phone into stores and I use hand sanitizer before I get out of the car and when I get back. I have sanitizing wipes for my phone when I get to work and before I leave because I need it to maintain my schedule and to take pictures of work. If you are not sanitizing your phone, and not cleaning your hands after touching it, you are contaminating things. 

Fair enough. 

I don't really go anywhere to touch this stuff that could be contaminated but I get your point. 

I did suggest it may be me who's not taking it seriously enough but it's hard to in this country at this point tbh. 

5 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

Fair enough. 

I don't really go anywhere to touch this stuff that could be contaminated but I get your point. 

I did suggest it may be me who's not taking it seriously enough but it's hard to in this country at this point tbh. 

It’s that you yourself are the contaminant. To avoid cross contamination (especially with a disease that you can be a asymptomatic carrier of), you gotta assume for the sake of others that YOU have Covid and that anything you’ve touched to your face or touched after touching your face is contaminated. If everyone did that, we’d drastically reduce spread

7 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

So as an objective outside viewpoint, do you all think that either of us tends to over or underdo coronavirus precautions?  

I don't think you are overdoing it.  I do everything you do...plus more.  I won't go out to restaurants - I'll only do takeout twice a week and I wipe everything down before opening it.  And I won't ride public transportation - I'm lucky I can walk to most places I need to go and I'll just not go to places I can't walk to.  I live in a large city and I live in a large high rise apartment building - just leaving my apartment, walking the corridor, taking the elevator and walking through my building lobby potentially exposes me to the virus.

2 minutes ago, lady narcissa said:

I don't think you are overdoing it.  I do everything you do...plus more.  I won't go out to restaurants - I'll only do takeout twice a week and I wipe everything down before opening it.  And I won't ride public transportation - I'm lucky I can walk to most places I need to go and I'll just not go to places I can't walk to.  I live in a large city and I live in a large high rise apartment building - just leaving my apartment, walking the corridor, taking the elevator and walking through my building lobby potentially exposes me to the virus.

We did these back in April and May when restrictions about leaving your home were in place. Restaurants weren’t even open then. We sanitized takeout and walked to the nearest grocery shop/pharmacy. then the government lifted the restrictions in mid May and around June we started leaving the house a bit more. I still walk a lot compared to before but there are some destinations I can’t reach without public transport - the other option is a full hour of Walking and 35C just doesn’t inspire me to do that. 

7 hours ago, Leofric said:

My understanding of the most likely pathways of infection are being in crowds around other people and touching something and then touching your face.    If you wear a mask in public and wash/sanitize your hands after being out and about and before eating or doing anything that requires touching your face, you have taken the two most effective preventative steps.  

The rest depends on your living situation.   Are you living alone, just with your sister, or with a lot more people?   And do you have a lot of guests coming over?   The more traffic in the home, the more inclined to do a more thorough/frequent cleaning.   But if its just you and your immediate family, and no one has tested positive or shows any symptoms, it may be a bit of overkill.

Wiping down the phone makes some sense, you are handling it all day, even when you out in public, and it is something you often put near your face even when you don't have a mask on, so can't hurt to clean it when you come home.

I live with sister and we visit immediate family/they visit us quite regularly. I don’t suppose you’d call that high traffic. Sister had friends over twice but she did clean after them and we weren’t even home for two days after so the virus had time to die on surfaces. Again, back in April I did clean after anybody we came in contact with, but that makes no realistic sense at this point. 

As for the phone, we are millennials (well I am, sister already counts as gen z) and are on phones all damn day (I know I know). So it makes sense to clean the thing you drag around on public transport before you drag it into your bed regardless of any virus actually. That’s actually something we agree on, she’s just inconsistent about it. 

10 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

How much is too much? Sister and I just had a huge fight about who’s under or overreacting the coronavirus situation. 

Obviously I don’t think I’m overdoing it and obviously she doesn’t think she’s underdoing it. Technically we are both following all guidelines and restrictions that are in place. We wear masks in shops and on public transport, we sanitize hands when signs so request, we aren’t traveling abroad and obviously aren’t attending events that are closed. 

I do sanitize groceries and essentially everything I buy, I regularly sanitize my hands throughout the day when I’m out and about, but I use a lot of public transport, even trains that are longer than 15-20 minutes. I also always sanitize my phone, wallet, keys, sunglasses, glasses. handbag after I get home, I wash masks after each use and I frequently wash canvas shopping bags as well. I also wipe heavy traffic areas (kitchen counter, where we unload all our shit upon getting home) multiple times a day. I avoid crowds and feel anxious to go to grocery stores at peak time, though I do shop multiple times a week. I frequent cafes, restaurants multiple times a week as well and aim to sit outside even if I don’t always succeed. I only mop once a week, and I only remember to wipe down light switches, alarm panel, door handles about once a week too. I don’t wear rubber gloves anywhere. I wouldn’t go on holiday locally, or someone would have to pay me a hefty amount to make me go to a lakeside hotel and I would never ever for any amount of money take a trip abroad. 

Sister is a little unreliable with sanitizing her purchases, phone and bags, though sometimes I manage to guilt trip her into it and sometimes she just does it herself. She does wear masks but she doesn’t really wash them regularly and sometimes remembers to sanitize her hands throughout the day too. She does always wash them when she gets home. She has been using public transport and visiting cafes and restaurants as much as I do, and she also had a couple nights out with friends (this is miraculously, and to my narrow little mind inexplicably  allowed, pubs and clubs are allowed to be stay open at their regular hours and people are allowed to visit under 500-person events] , so it isn’t technically against any guidelines or restrictions). She’s also going on a 3 day trip with them to a friend’s vacation house at previously mentioned lakeside. But she doesn’t travel abroad nor would she if she had the chance. 

Having made a written assessment, the difference is mostly in the mindset. Sister’s always got to be on the move she can’t sit still on her arse, she’s highly social and rather scattered and absent minded. While I’ve been an introverted, control freak worry worm for as long as I’ve lived. And that’s just a fundamental difference we should handle and live with. Well 2020 has not been kind to my mental health anyway, and scary and traumatizing events, serious changes aside from or loosely related to coronavirus are in the baggage as well. 

context: we live in a city of 2 million people, which has 2050ish confirmed cases in total and 180ish active cases. (We do test rather little so it’s likely that these numbers are somewhat higher in reality) The virus situation wasn’t ever nearly as severe here as in Spain, Italy or the UK or even France and Germany as more heavily hit countries in Europe. 

From my point of view you are both underdoing it. I would never dream of eating at a restaurant or going to a pub right now or for the foreseeable future.

You should only need to grocery shop once a week then cook at home during the pandemic.

All that disinfecting your doing will be for naught if one infected drunk pollutes your air stream or one infected shopper gets too close during these multi weekly trips your doing. It's just that much more difficult to socially distance when your spending that much time in public.

Here's one I've filed under personal experiences during covid-

Certain workmate has a daughter at home that he"s co-raising with his ex.

He's mentioned being nervous about bringing home the virus to her and that's a real guilt/fear many essential workers have to rationalize their way through for sure.

Thing is the guys been hitting the strip clubs and he's actively tried recruiting others from work to go with him on more than one occasion.

I can't see how one squares that type of behavior with saying they are concerned about exposing the girl to the virus, but then going on ahead with the whole lap dance scene. That just doesn't add up.

One step forward, two steps back. Young Boring Danzig’s bandmate (we’ll call him Brandon because that’s his name) just posted on Instagram he is in Sturgis. Brandon is a fucking idiot. I saw this and told YBD (let’s just call him Casey) that because of my lupus he definitely can’t be around Brandon for at least two weeks after he returns because he’s at fucking Sturgis. He had a shitty attitude about it because he’s sick of Covid but of course he doesn’t consider I have an autoimmune disorder and only one functioning kidney, I’m sick of his idiot bandmate killing me with disease being my daily concern. I hate this.

10 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

Fair enough. 

If you arent actively licking strangers in the UK, you are doing better than most. 

5 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

From my point of view you are both underdoing it. I would never dream of eating at a restaurant or going to a pub right now or for the foreseeable future.

You should only need to grocery shop once a week then cook at home during the pandemic.

All that disinfecting your doing will be for naught if one infected drunk pollutes your air stream or one infected shopper gets too close during these multi weekly trips your doing. It's just that much more difficult to socially distance when your spending that much time in public.

See this is half of the anxiety. Just in a handful of responses you guys kindly provided opinions entirely clash. And there’s just no way of telling what’s the right approach and behavior. I can of course absolutely understand all opinions. I just have no idea what I should do. The majority wear and mask and wash their hands a bit more than they used to and just don’t think about the whole thing. And then there are those who never come out of self isolation even after restrictions were lifted, like you say. And there’s me in the middle doing the hand washing and mask wearing and trying to compensate for my general anxiety with disinfecting personal items.  

What you describe is what we did at the peak of the first wave here, between mid March and late May, when we have daily 100ish new cases in the country. Then restrictions were lifted, businesses reopened, citizens were allowed to move freely. At this point we have an average of 20-25 new cases per day in the country. The infection rate of my area is 0.1% . If we say it’s ten times more than that because of lack of testing, it’s still only 1%. I just cannot justify, to myself or to my environment remaining in that kind of strict self-isolation when there’s no regulation in action to obligate me or particularly steep statistics to scare me into it. Not while the entire country is back at work, on holiday, out partying, at the mall and throwing weddings. I don’t do any of that. I just buy a coffee and a custard bun to have on a park bench where I read and have existential crises and then pick up shampoo on the way back. (Yes I realize that’s an entirely twisted logic and selfish self-validation of whatever I chose to do based on wrong/little information, illogical instinct and emotion)

As far as social distancing goes, my last understanding was that 15+ minutes indoors within 2 meters is what counts as close contact. I can count on one hand how many close contacts (aside from immediate family) I have in two weeks by this definition. 

I don’t know. Realistically I can be more calculated with shopping and reduce it to online orders and just one trip a week. I suppose I should do that. It will at least wean me back to not seeing the sun for the second wave. 

Generally I suppose the takeaway is that it all comes down to abiding regulations and doing whatever else is comfortable to the individual. People here are generally following rules, at least the vast majority, there are always exceptions. And the rules are more or less sensible to make sure people are safe while also trying to leave some wiggle room for the economy to recover. I do think we should have closed boarders when neighbors throughout Europe started to see a rise in new cases, but what do I know. 

This is a really shitty historic event to go through and I can only hope we will be rid of it in another year. The Spanish flu lasted only 2 years too. (Yes I do realize the two events bear no scientific resemblance whatsoever, it’s just an irrational comfort I tend to turn to) 

Okay then, I’ll pull myself out of this rut and do some doggy training. Way too much time spent thinking about coronavirus again. 

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

Generally I suppose the takeaway is that it all comes down to abiding regulations and doing whatever else is comfortable to the individual.

This is it. But for me, no matter what I do, so much of this comes down to everyone else. Outside of the people I know and trust to be doing the 'right' things for our area, I treat everyone else as if they aren't until proven otherwise. 

7 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

One step forward, two steps back. Young Boring Danzig’s bandmate (we’ll call him Brandon because that’s his name) just posted on Instagram he is in Sturgis. Brandon is a fucking idiot. I saw this and told YBD (let’s just call him Casey) that because of my lupus he definitely can’t be around Brandon for at least two weeks after he returns because he’s at fucking Sturgis. He had a shitty attitude about it because he’s sick of Covid but of course he doesn’t consider I have an autoimmune disorder and only one functioning kidney, I’m sick of his idiot bandmate killing me with disease being my daily concern. I hate this.

That's fucking brutal

And tangentially brought to mind a conversation I had several days ago with my ex-wife. We were discussing what to do about school in September [our Province's plan is trash] and while she acknowledged that I might die if either girl brought it home, she also didn't want to rob our girls of school's social aspects and them missing their friends. I let it slide because we'd already had a tilt about the efficacy of facemasks [eyeroll] but jesus christ. If I make through all of this bullshit without turning into a full on misanthrope, it might legitimately shock me.

I hope B Danzig pulls his head out of his ass.  

Archived