Covid-19 #3: It's More Personal Than Ever

Zorral

Ha! I got my hair cut on Saturday for the first time since, I don't know, before Christmas maybe, and that took a lot for me to get up the nerve. The door was open but there were 4 people in there, the hairdresser, her assistant, a lady at the back of the shop who does nails, and an elderly woman waiting for her husband to pick her up (she has cancer and was going to her first chemo this week, and wanted her messy hair cleaned up before everything falls out). We all had masks on.

I decided I had better get my hair cut before stuff gets locked down again. My hair was a pretty wild mess. Back in April or so I had cut my bangs because I kept putting my hands up to my face to clear them out of my eyes and mask, and also had blindly chopped the back off because it was so long. I think I'm good for another 6 months if need be. 

The hair cut was $35. I usually give a $5 tip but I gave her $50 and told her to keep the change, that I appreciated her services and hoped to see her sooner than last time. Nice Portuguese lady.

The mask recommendations in my country change almost every day now, it is hard to keep up with the news. And apparently now the government and the national institute of public health disagree about what the recommendation should be, so they give out different information.

Yesterday, it was still said I had to wear a mask the whole time in my workplace, starting today. But then in the middle of today, we got an email that we only needed to wear a mask while less than 1,5 m away from others and in shared spaces (the way it was last week). And the stricter recommendation was that all the students needed to wear one even during class, but then the new rule was that they don't. Most of the people cannot keep up with the rules changing every day, which is not surprising.

16 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

If you were in my position would you use your warrant card every time you got on the tube to tell people to mask up or get off? I really want to but its draining after a while. 

You can't be the only person who does that. There should be tube employees who do that, for one thing.

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

Here in Toronto you are not allowed on a bus, streetcar or subway train without a mask.

Same here. But Londoners are dicks. In my carriage on the tube there were about 15 people, 4 didn't have masks on, that feels about par for the course. 

My train into london is pretty much 100% compliant. 

On 9/21/2020 at 2:13 PM, Buckwheat said:

The mask recommendations in my country change almost every day now, it is hard to keep up with the news. And apparently now the government and the national institute of public health disagree about what the recommendation should be, so they give out different information.

Yesterday, it was still said I had to wear a mask the whole time in my workplace, starting today. But then in the middle of today, we got an email that we only needed to wear a mask while less than 1,5 m away from others and in shared spaces (the way it was last week). And the stricter recommendation was that all the students needed to wear one even during class, but then the new rule was that they don't. Most of the people cannot keep up with the rules changing every day, which is not surprising.

I have never given 2 thoughts or cares to what any "authorities" have guided about masks right from the beginning of the pandemic. I self intuitively decided to mask up out of self preservation and will continue to practice wearing masks as long as the pandemic lasts.

What any "expert" is droning about was never part of my calculus.

This is the attitude Americans need to adopt while we live under a untrustworthy govt imo.

15 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

If you were in my position would you use your warrant card every time you got on the tube to tell people to mask up or get off? I really want to but its draining after a while. 

Yes, yes I would. And Id make sure onlookers saw it so maybe enough people would see me do it they’d eventually expect to be confronted and change their behavior

On 9/24/2020 at 7:26 AM, Fury Resurrected said:

Yes, yes I would. And Id make sure onlookers saw it so maybe enough people would see me do it they’d eventually expect to be confronted and change their behavior

Funnily enough when I do, it's one of the more positive reactions I get from the general public.

My biggest issue is if I'm off duty and they say 'no', I have limited options. I either let it slide, or have to call someone down to deal who probably has lots of other things to deal with already.  

10 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I've been told I'm working a funeral today where they expect 1000 people to turn up in breach of regs. Imagine trying to ticket 1000 people. 

Cordon them all off and export them to one of our deep South red states. They will be released to their natural habitat.

I got my hair cut. A-- made short order of the mess that developed since the last time he styled-cut my hair back in February. Woo!  A-- works only on Sundays, only one client scheduled at a time, and all people whose heads he did regularly Before, but still only those he trusts to have been behaving as he and his partner of 26 years have. He takes an occasional new client, but those are still people he's known for years and believes is trustworthy. Like us, he and his partner are very isolated and wouldn't even dream of eating in a 'restaurant' or going to a party and have seen about 3 people all together since March -- beyond his clients, which he only started to see again last month. It felt very comfortable, and I was so grateful to have this done by someone I have known for years and thus feel is trustworthy too, and with whom I always was comfortable.

But not good at all -- new infections here are rising quickly.

Worst of all, my friend whose cancer had been remission -- not only did it return, but she's had to return to the hospital today for the third time since this week: first for the first chemo treatment; 2) a complication; and now, home again, for the 3rd time yesterday, back to the ER and hospital last night due to excessive vomiting.  A scan shows a mass in her stomach, which they will operate on tomorrow.  I was fearing we were going to lose her before Christmas. Now I wonder if she will survive the week.  It's just damned awful.  If it were a different time I'd travel down to see her, at least to say 'au revoir." She taught both French and German for years; France was her soul's home.

Archived