US Politics: Portlandia

Kalbear

11 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Chuck Woolery tweets COVID-19 is all lies, son gets COVID-19, tweets COVID-19 is real, deletes twitter account.

So non-Latin whites are for Trump 49-42 on that YouGov poll. What's the historically typical split for Republican presidential candidates?

There are a lot of missing votes for the Black and Latin voters. Undecided? 3rd party? Won't say?

I think it was close to 60-40 for Republicans in the past couple cycles at least. So for Biden to be within 10 points seems earthshaking if it holds up.

31 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I think it was close to 60-40 for Republicans in the past couple cycles at least. So for Biden to be within 10 points seems earthshaking if it holds up.

So that's probably like 80/20 for white men then? IIRC white women have been about 50/50 historically?

Just because I'm pretty sure I haven't seen mention of it, and in case anyone else missed it:

16 term Representative Eliot Engel officially lost his primary race to progressive challenger Jamaal Bowman

Democrat Jamaal Bowman has defeated Rep. Eliot Engel in a primary in New York, ousting the 16-term incumbent and chair of the House Foreign Affairs Committee in an election that took nearly a month to resolve.

The Associated Press declared Bowman the winner on Friday morning, more than three weeks after the June 23 primary in New York, where local authorities had to process unusually large numbers of absentee ballots cast because of the coronavirus pandemic. When The AP called the race, Bowman led Engel, 56 percent to 40 percent.

Bowman, a middle-school principal who was endorsed by most national progressives, challenged Engel from the left and argued that the incumbent had lost touch with his solidly Democratic district, which extends from the Bronx into Westchester County. He campaigned on liberal priorities, like Medicare for All, the single-payer health care plan, and the Green New Deal.

“The world has changed. Congress needs to change, too,” Bowman said in a statement sent to reporters minutes after he was declared the winner. “But if we can take on entrenched power and wealthy interests here in Westchester and the Bronx, then we can do it all across this country.

Progressives latched onto Bowman’s candidacy in the closing weeks of the race. He earned late endorsements from prominent liberals, like Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) — along with Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.), whose district borders Engel’s in the Bronx.

Bowman's campaign gained more steam amid the protests that followed the killing of George Floyd by the Minneapolis police in late May. Alexandra Rojas, the executive director of the progressive group Justice Democrats, which supported Ocasio-Cortez’s successful campaign against an incumbent in 2018, directly tied Bowman’s victory to the demonstrations against racial injustice and police brutality.

The district is heavily Democratic — Hillary Clinton won 75 percent the vote in the 2016 presidential race — and Bowman will be heavily favored to win the general election in November.

Engel, who was first elected in 1988, came under fire for riding out the initial weeks of the pandemic at his home in Potomac, Md., a tony suburb just outside Washington. When he did return home, he was caught in an embarrassing, “hot mic” moment, asking the Bronx borough president to speak at a news conference. “If I didn’t have a primary, I wouldn’t care” about not speaking, Engel said.

He conceded in a statement after the race was called. "The numbers are clear, and I will not be the Democratic nominee for the 16th Congressional District seat in the fall election," said Engel.

Engel has chaired the Foreign Affairs Committee since Democrats took over the House following the 2018 elections. His ouster makes official a scramble for his chairmanship that has already been underway for weeks.

Rep. Gregory Meeks (D-N.Y.) is seen as the frontrunner in the race, according to multiple Democratic sources. Meeks, a senior member of the Congressional Black Caucus, is running against Rep. Brad Sherman of California, who is next in line on the Democratic roster.

Both members began privately reaching out to their fellow Democrats after early results from the New York primary signaled Engel was in serious jeopardy. Rep. Joaquin Castro (D-Texas), who is more junior but serves as vice-chairman of the panel, is also eyeing a bid for the gavel.

The Democratic caucus will not vote on Engel’s successor until December, after the 2020 elections.

Man, I am so horrified by what I am seeing coming out of Portland, but the fact that Portlanders keep coming out night after night makes me feel so proud to be from Portland. There is something of a disconnect seeing the streets that you once knew under fascist occupation. I recently moved away from the Portland area, but though I am now many miles away, my heart is in Portland right now.

5 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

What's the historically typical split for Republican presidential candidates?

2004 Exits:  41/58 white; 88/11 AA; 53/44 Latino; 56/44 Asian; 37/62 white male.

2008 Exits - 43/55 white; 95/4 AA; 67/31 Latino; 62/35 Asian; 41/57 white male.

2012 Exits - 39/59 white; 93/6 AA; 71/28 Latino; 73/26 Asian; 35/62 white male.

2016 Exits - 37/57 white; 89/8 AA; 66/28 Latino; 65/27 Asian; 31/62 white male.

There are, plainly, way too many undecideds and/or third party voters in that yougov poll.  But, assuming that splits remotely even, Biden is indeed doing much better with white people.

6 hours ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Just because I'm pretty sure I haven't seen mention of it, and in case anyone else missed it:

16 term Representative Eliot Engel officially lost his primary race to progressive challenger Jamaal Bowman

I remember once, while on statewide assignment, telling a state senator that primary challenges were a good thing. I thought he would agree given he had been a legislator for three decades. However he harshly rebuked me and maintained he never wanted one. 

Fucking coward. I was told this in a dump of a town, Mountain Iron. A dead small town on its last breath. 

On 7/17/2020 at 11:49 PM, Fragile Bird said:

I was writing a response in the last thread when it was locked.

I am going on my recollections of the stories back in 2010. There were a lot of American protestors in Toronto for the summit, lots of interviews on local television. And the claims are not current claims, they would have been made by the police back in 2010. There are professional protestors who go to these summits, you know. In fact, iirc, Members of Parliament were asking if their entry into the country could be blocked at the border, and I don't doubt some people didn't get in.

The fears of violence were based on what was called the 3rd Summit of the Americas, held in the province of Quebec in 2001, which turned very violent (well, by Canadian standards). These summits were meetings between countries from North and South America, held to discuss freer trade. 20,000 protestors from all over the Americas showed up, plus maybe 100,000 protestors from Canada. It was the largest anti-globalization protest held up until that time. There were violent clashes between police and protestors, and tear gas was used. ("Tear gas was used" is not a common statement in Canada)

The claim that Antifa members were involved in Toronto relate to the reports of the folks dressed head to foot in black, and masked, and carrying baseball bats to smash windows. At the time they were commonly called 'the black bloc', a reference to clothing not race. While Antifa may not have 'members' because it's not an organized group, there is some organization involved in order to have people show up. I don't know what other word to use. We have had the discussion before about the fact Antifa is not a traditional organization, more a philosophy. But people still get together to protest, so what do you call them? The claim they were Antifa was made afterwards, as I said "black bloc" was the terminology at the time, and their presence at many different protests in previous years was cited.

The police reacted with a heavy hand, likely due to what happened in Quebec, and tear gas was used for the first time ever in Toronto. Riots regularly happen at G8 and G20 summits which made the Canadian government and police very determined to make sure that didn't happen here. They failed, of course. About $750,000 damage was done during rioting, not much by today's standards, but nothing like that had been seen here before.

And to be fair, 9/11 and threats of terrorism against western nations was very fresh in everybody's minds. But a lot of people live in downtown Toronto, and people were getting arrested while walking their dogs in the wrong areas, or going out for a jog. You'd think they'd notice the heavy police presence and give it a pass.

So just to summarize, there was no actual recollection of Antifa being involved in the stuff you mentioned, people just said that years after the fact.  Antifa means anti-fascist, something I'd hope most people would identify with.  But right now, when the US president is calling for anti-fascists to be labelled terrorists, I'd hope we might be a little cautious about spreading the false idea that Antifa committed a bunch of "nastiness" in Toronto.  Thanks for clarifying. 

26 minutes ago, Toth said:

Federal Judge's home attacked by an unknown shooter, son dead and husband seriously injured

Of course it's an Obama apointee... and she's currently appointed to an Epstein case. Sigh...

Crazy story. But one of those things where we definitely shouldn't jump to conclusions. Her husband is a criminal defense attorney, in New Jersey. And was the one who was shot, not her. He could've easily been the target instead. Perhaps some client wasn't thrilled with how a case went down. Or, if she was the target, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of cases she'll have been involved with where one of the parties may have been seriously disappointed with how it turned out.

1 minute ago, Fez said:

Crazy story. But one of those things where we definitely shouldn't jump to conclusions. Her husband is a criminal defense attorney, in New Jersey. And was the one who was shot, not her. He could've easily been the target instead. Perhaps some client wasn't thrilled with how a case went down. Or, if she was the target, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of cases she'll have been involved with where one of the parties may have been seriously disappointed with how it turned out.

I know, the first headline I saw about this didn't even bother to bring up the Epstein connection. It still looks like a hit though, no matter for which case.

13 hours ago, Zorral said:

She reported today on FB that feds have closed the airspace over Portland to private aircraft (such as news helicopters, as well as privately owned planes). This is being seen as an attempt by the feds to cut Portland off from the rest of the world and from being able to film what has been going on.

That’s very serious. This is the FAA’s notice of the shutdown over Portland from 7/16-8/16:

https://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_0_1203.html

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That’s very serious. This is the FAA’s notice of the shutdown over Portland from 7/16-8/16:

It's fucking creepy. This may be all political theatre, but it could easily get out of hand if say a federal agent, cop, or protester is killed. Trump is playing with fire....while the country is already on fire from the virus. 

37 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

It's fucking creepy. This may be all political theatre, but it could easily get out of hand if say a federal agent, cop, or protester is killed. Trump is playing with fire....while the country is already on fire from the virus. 

Yes. 

a thousand times, yes.

Apparently John Kasich is going to speak and endorse Biden at the DNC Convention.  I'm not on board with the idea of Kasich being held up as an example of "Republicans we can work with" because the guy holds some pretty extreme positions himself. 

But I'm not surprised this is something Biden would want to do.  Biden loves signalling to anti-Trump Republicans that it's ok to vote for him.  We'll see if those overtures pay off.  There's some polling to indicate it is, but I'm skeptical until we see the results in the ballot box. 

Navy veteran Chris David, 53, told CNN over the phone Sunday that he had never been to a protest, but felt "enraged" when he saw federal officers on the scene and wanted to ask them what they were doing there.
Officers from federal agencies have been spotted in the city taking protesters off the street, arresting them and putting them in unmarked vehicles over the past week.
"I was going to ask why they weren't living up to their oath of office, the Constitution," David explained. " All I wanted to do was ask them why?"
He put on his Naval Academy gear with the hope they would listen, and would feel like he was one of them. What he was met with couldn't have been further from that.
When approaching them to talk, David said they pushed him down, and started beating him with their batons and using pepper spray.
"I was hoping they wouldn't shoot me, because one had a weapon pointing it right at my chest,
" said David. "I'm relieved that I only got hit by batons and pepper spray.'
When asked how he was able to not react during the beating, David said he knew if he acted it would escalate the situation.
"The baton hits weren't the issue but when they used pepper spray it was over; it felt like they dumped a gallon of burning gasoline on my head."
He says he suffered a broken hand in two places, and plans to have surgery later this week.

A Navy veteran says he was beaten and pepper sprayed by authorities while attending his first protest in Portland

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/20/us/portland-protester-navy-veteran-beaten/index.html

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Apparently John Kasich is going to speak and endorse Biden at the DNC Convention.  I'm not on board with the idea of Kasich being held up as an example of "Republicans we can work with" because the guy holds some pretty extreme positions himself. 

But I'm not surprised this is something Biden would want to do.  Biden loves signalling to anti-Trump Republicans that it's ok to vote for him.  We'll see if those overtures pay off.  There's some polling to indicate it is, but I'm skeptical until we see the results in the ballot box. 

Kasich has very high approval in Ohio, particularly among independent voters. If it helps Biden win Ohio, I'm all for it. 

He holds some "extreme" positions to us, that are seen as "moderate" to Republicans. He also expanded medicaid in his state, and is capable of independent thought and working across the aisle. Might be a low bar but these things are rare right now in that party 

Moved to a ‘burb of Portland several years ago after the kids got too big for our little townhouse in SE.  This secret police bullshit is really worrisome - I am looking at the best options to contribute to the protests in a meaningful way, but have several random thoughts I would like to think through, regarding how this plays for conservatives and what you may consider saying to any R in your family. 

1. This is the sole federal response I have seen to the ongoing COVID crisis.  Troops to protect buildings from vandalism.  Not handing out masks, or coordinating shelters, or helping anyone.  This is what we want our federal gov’t spending time and resources on?

2. If this type of federal response occurred for Ammon Bundy in E Oregon (recent example), or for any/all secessionist jackholes in Idaho,Texas or in any other states-rights/libertarian/religious context, how is this NOT the “one world government” or “they want to take our rights away” or “they are going to put us in camps” federal overreach and conspiracy-bait being spouted for years by the red state idiots?  Are they only ok because it is not happening to them?  Where is the congressional outrage?

6 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

And how many declared, going way back, even here, that things could never get to this point in the USA . . . .

You all hear of Portland's naked Athena?

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-07-19/portland-protest-naked-athena

Also don't you love that BLM are doing huge yoga classes in front of the WH?

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

The suspect in the shooting of the judge's son and husband has been found, dead, from a self-inflicted gun shot.

It seems that authorities have not identified him yet.

Seems it was some men's rights lawyer who apparently made some degree of headlines a while back regarding trying to end ladies nights because they were discrimination.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/gunman-ambushes-nj-federal-judge-esther-salas-husband-mark-anderl-and-son-at-home

Here is his personal website. which is totally a fun read and not a horrifying mass of misogyny.

http://www.roydenhollander.com/main/index.htm

Archived