US Politics: Portlandia

Kalbear

It’s 2020, people are dying, secret police roam the streets, and Trump has been a shit everyday he has been in office, yet we are still playing this game.

I can’t seem to find evidence of this “new tone” in his tweets or public comments, maybe they accidentally used WH talking points as a headline.

When, oh, when will he become a real boy!?

42 minutes ago, Tywin Manderly said:

The smarter move for Ghislaine Maxwell it would be to lobby Trump to pardon her after the November election. It might work because there is little love lost between Trump and the SDNY and he would love it to screw them over.

Not a chance. Right-wing loonies are convinced Maxwell has dirt on the Clintons and Trump will fuel any conspiracy theory that makes others look worse than him.

Good grief, a bunch of Republicans in Ohio have been arrested for taking $60M in bribes for passing a bail-out package for a nuclear power plant. The House Speaker is one of them and people are demanding he resign immediately.

This just popped up on CNBC...

Boy, they go big when they get bribed, don’t they? No more penny ante 5 million bucks!

Trump wants to stop counting undocumented immigrants for the census:

President Trump released a memorandum Tuesday that calls for an unprecedented change to the constitutionally mandated count of every person living in the country — the exclusion of unauthorized immigrants from the numbers used to divide up seats in Congress among the states.

He should just go for the gusto and say he'll compromise at them counting 3/5ths.

50 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Good grief, a bunch of Republicans in Ohio have been arrested for taking $60M in bribes for passing a bail-out package for a nuclear power plant. The House Speaker is one of them and people are demanding he resign immediately.

Boy, they go big when they get bribed, don’t they? No more penny ante 5 million bucks!

You mean to say ... that's ... illegal?  Who knew!

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

I still remember Abscam and the revealing of how little it took to bribe a House member. If I recall it was on the order of a cheap suit or $100 for some. 

3 hours ago, Morpheus said:

I can’t seem to find evidence of this “new tone” in his tweets or public comments, maybe they accidentally used WH talking points as a headline.

When, oh, when will he become a real boy!?

Trump has been just about to straighten up and fly right for 3.5 years now. I don't when the news media stop falling for this stuff.

5 minutes ago, TrackerNeil said:

Trump has been just about to straighten up and fly right for 3.5 years now. I don't when the news media stop falling for this stuff.

I think it's a misnomer to say the media is "buying" it.  It's just a different narrative.  I don't agree with it, but it's something new to talk about, which is what they're always looking for.

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

I think it's a misnomer to say the media is "buying" it.  It's just a different narrative.  I don't agree with it, but it's something new to talk about, which is what they're always looking for.

7 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

[snip]

For Trump?  No, I wouldn't say it is for the guy that defended Roy Moore as long as it was politically expedient.  And other countless examples.

Behold the pitfalls of POMO, obfuscating terms so they constantly need to be redefined, these days people can't even discern an ephebophile from a pedophile.

Of course, another distinction would be pederast vs pedophile, where the bifurcation is predicated on action vs thought.  We can probably prioritize prosecuting the epheborasts and pederasts over their -phile counterparts, while at the same time ecognizing the intersection of these distinctions, as well as the intersection with sex trafficking.

8 hours ago, DMC said:

AOC called ‘f---ing b--ch’ by Rep. Ted Yoho after spat on Capitol steps

You stay classy GOP!  Sadly, Yoho represents my parents district.  I guess it's good he's not running for reelection....so someone even worse will get elected.

Is it still a right-wing axiom that poverty, unemployment and economic desperation does not contribute to crime?

23 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Is it still a right-wing axiom that poverty, unemployment and economic desperation does not contribute to crime?

Of course!  Or at least, poverty and unemployment are the fault of those that are poor and unemployed, so suggesting they contribute to crime makes you "disgusting."

2 hours ago, DMC said:

And Trump has certainly been able to say more reasonable things for a few hours at a time before. I don't think the media reporting his "new tone" means in any way that they expect that to last more than a day at the most.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Wasn't he technically an a?

Ephebophile is not an official diagnostic term. But the official diagnosis for pedophilia is sexual attraction to those 13 years of age or younger, so yes he did miss the official designation of the term by one year. Obviously everyday use of the term pedophilia is now broader than the official diagnostic definition.

Archived