Why doesn't Kevan Lannister own any lands?

Falcon2909

"I hold no lands, that is true. But I have certain incomes, and chests of coin set aside. My own father forgot none of his children when he died, and Tywin knew how to reward good service. I feed two hundred knights and can double that number if need be. There are freeriders who will follow my banner, and I have the gold to hire sellswords. You would be wise not to take me lightly, Your Grace . . . and wiser still not to make of me a foe."

-Kevan AFFC

Kevan Lannister is brother to one of the richest if not the richest lord in the 7 Kingdoms. He also has some notable achievements where he fought in the War of the Ninepenny Kings and won his knighthood. He also helped Tywin crush the Reyne-Tarbeck rebellion, rid the westerlands of robber knights, collected outstanding debts owed to Casterly Rock. Not to mention, he's been Tywin's ardent followers. He also helped Tywin during the war of the 5 kings. 

In light of this, shouldn't he be owning or rewarded some land at least?

58 minutes ago, Falcon2909 said:

Kevan Lannister is brother to one of the richest if not the richest lord in the 7 Kingdoms. He also has some notable achievements where he fought in the War of the Ninepenny Kings and won his knighthood. He also helped Tywin crush the Reyne-Tarbeck rebellion, rid the westerlands of robber knights, collected outstanding debts owed to Casterly Rock. Not to mention, he's been Tywin's ardent followers. He also helped Tywin during the war of the 5 kings. 

He is like the Blackfish. Honor, Duty and Loyalty. And war. That's all he knows. 

7 hours ago, Falcon2909 said:

As Tywin's brother and right-hand man he co-rules Casterly Rock and has the pleasures of Lannisport to keep him happy. Why would he want to rule some smaller holdfast?

". . . and Lady Webber is much taken with his letters." The lady in question stood in the doorway, beside a homely young maester with a great hooked nose. "You would lose your wager, good-brother. Gerold will never willingly forsake the pleasures of Lannisport and the splendor of Casterly Rock for some little lordship. He has more influence as Lord Tybolt's brother and adviser than he could ever hope for as my husband."

The Sworn Sword gives a clear reason why one brother of the Lord of the Westerlands would not give that all up to rule over a small Lordship.

I think if he was telling the truth when he claimed he had 200 knights at his beck and call, then Kevan Lannister has plenty of land.  Just because you aren't a lord doesn't mean you don't have land.

He said he holds no land but can feed 200 knights anyway, due to other incomes he acquired from a generous father and grateful brother. This shows us how rich the Lannisters are, and how their wealth is not based on property of land.

10 hours ago, Pontius Pilate said:

primogeniture

Tywin got the inheritance.  

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

He said he holds no land but can feed 200 knights anyway, due to other incomes he acquired from a generous father and grateful brother. This shows us how rich the Lannisters are, and how their wealth is not based on property of land.

Just now, Lord Lannister said:

He's a younger son. His duty is to serve, not to rule. 

:agree::agree::agree:

Archived