Why was there no justice given to Elia Martell and her children ?

Sasuke Targaryen

15 minutes ago, frenin said:

The sea is full of Gregors that don't think too hard about it, the West particularly is full of them

I think if he did give up his goons who did his dirty work, then the Gregors might be less inclined to work with him...........

Also makes him look weak........

1 minute ago, Orm said:

think if he did give up his goons who did his dirty work, then the Gregors might be less inclined to work with him....

I find that hard to believe, goons are goons and there always will people ready to do the dirty work.

1 minute ago, Orm said:

Also makes him look weak.....

Even more doubtful, he was completely fine with handing him over to Doran after the Trial. 

21 minutes ago, frenin said:

find that hard to believe, goons are goons and there always will people ready to do the dirty work.

Well it's just.... this is a midieval society and they are also his Banner men.......

If he does that, then his reputation takes a dent........ precisely because he is handing goons over after the job is done.......

But Let's agree to disagree.......

25 minutes ago, frenin said:

Even more doubtful, he was completely fine with handing him over to Doran after the Trial. 

You mean after he was poisoned and half dead?

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

Yandel's account sounds more like official propaganda than an honest account.  

Of course. But if Yandel was able to write that it is because the identities of the murderers were not publicly known.

1 hour ago, frenin said:

The sea is full of Gregors that don't think too hard about it, the West particularly is full of them.

You may find many other people who would be willing to rape women and murder infants. But it would be very difficult to replace a loyal battle-tested knight way over two meters high who can lead men into battle wielding a two-handed greatsword with a single hand.

Let's remember that Gregor was semifinalist in the Tourney of the Hand, and that he was eliminated only because of a dirty trick. He is one of the best fighters of Westeros.

51 minutes ago, Orm said:

Well it's just.... this is a midieval society and they are also his Banner men.......

Sure and there a lot of tof them, they aren't even semi important bannerman, they are very repleaceable hired muscle.

51 minutes ago, Orm said:

You mean after he was poisoned and half dead?

Yes.

“Then I fear Ser Gregor may die.” “Undoubtedly. I swore as much in the letter I sent to Prince Doran with his brother’s body. But it must be seen to be the sword of the King’s Justice that slays him, not a poisoned spear. Heal him.” Grand Maester Pycelle blinked in dismay. “My lord—” “Heal him,” Lord Tywin said again, vexed. “You are aware that Lord Varys has sent fishermen into the waters around Dragonstone. They report that only a token force remains to defend the island. The Lyseni are gone from the bay, and the great part of Lord Stannis’s strength with them.” “Well and good,” announced Pycelle. “Let Stannis rot in Lys, I say. We are well rid of the man and his ambitions.” “Did you turn into an utter fool when Tyrion shaved your beard? This is Stannis Baratheon. The man will fight to the bitter end and then some. If he is gone, it can only mean he intends to resume the war. Most likely he will land at Storm’s End and try and rouse the storm lords. If so, he’s finished. But a bolder man might roll the dice for Dorne. If he should win Sunspear to his cause, he might prolong this war for years. So we will not offend the Martells any further, for any reason. The Dornishmen are free to go, and you will heal Ser Gregor.” And so the Mountain screamed, day and night. Lord Tywin Lannister could cow even the Stranger, it would seem.

32 minutes ago, The hairy bear said:

Of course. But if Yandel was able to write that it is because the identities of the murderers were not publicly known.

They weren't. Ned was there and is uncapable of saying for certain that Gregor was the one killing Elia and Aegon and Lorch's involvement wasn't known at all.

That doesn't mean that the truth couldn't have been found rather easily with a little  digging but the rebels coulsn't be bothered to do it.

32 minutes ago, The hairy bear said:

You may find many other people who would be willing to rape women and murder infants. But it would be very difficult to replace a loyal battle-tested knight way over two meters high who can lead men into battle wielding a two-handed greatsword with a single hand.

Let's remember that Gregor was semifinalist in the Tourney of the Hand, and that he was only eliminated because a dirty trick. He is one of the best warriors of Westeros.

That's very true, but Dorne well worths it i'd say.

@SeanF

Who says the rebels were honourable?

Bar the handling of Elia and her children, they pretty much were, only Daemon Blackfyre seems to have been more honorable than them.

Robert Baratheon was delighted at their deaths, and rewarded their murderer. 

Oh i see that you have fully  embraced the terms of Goebbels's propaganda.

In-universe, there is considerable racial prejudice against the Dornish, which would be a further factor.

That prejudice beyond the marches is pretty much nonexistent, the Dornish have been in the fold forw what??  A hundred years by the time the rebellion starts.

12 hours ago, Orm said:

Yeah....... But then Aerys the mad cunt and Rhaegar the mad pussy, are even way beyond them in depravity........

Where was justice when Jon Arryn's Nephew was being roasted alive?

Just because someone does one evil doesn’t justify doing another evil. 

And all Rhaegar did was take a girl(we don’t even know the whole story yet)his punishment didn’t fit his crime. Aerys was mad who should have been put down earlier in life or his power taken away. 

Aerys and Rhaegar made their mistakes but theirs is NOTHING compared to the fact that Jon Arryn and Robert Baratheon stood in the middle of thousands of dead innocent women, children, and men who were raped, brutalized, and other horrors and rewarded their murderers. As the new King and Hand, Elia, her children and the citizens of Kings  Landing deserved justice which they never saw. 

It’s karma that these two monsters were murdered and their legacy ended in corruption, death, blood, and war. 

The village was just where Notch had promised it would be. They took shelter in a grey stone stable. Only half a roof remained, but that was half a roof more than any other building in the village. It's not a village, it's only black stones and old bones. "Did the Lannisters kill the people who lived here?" Arya asked as she helped Anguy dry the horses.

"No." He pointed. "Look at how thick the moss grows on the stones. No one's moved them for a long time. And there's a tree growing out of the wall there, see? This place was put to the torch a long time ago."

"Who did it, then?" asked Gendry.

"Hoster Tully." Notch was a stooped thin grey-haired man, born in these parts. "This was Lord Goodbrook's village. When Riverrun declared for Robert, Goodbrook stayed loyal to the king, so Lord Tully came down on him with fire and sword. After the Trident, Goodbrook's son made his peace with Robert and Lord Hoster, but that didn't help the dead none."

Honorable.

7 hours ago, frenin said:

Bar the handling of Elia and her children, they pretty much were

Bar the RW, Walder Frey throws nice weddings.

Imo, Tywin didnt give up Gregor because thatd reinforce the idea (truth) that Elia was murdered by Tywin.

Might as well ask why there was no justice for Catelyn and her son

44 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Honorable

Pretty honorable i'd say. I see no difference with other nice dudes such as Dany and Robb. It's what war is, it's not like he went and ordered a mass raping a la Tywin. He personally attacked and killed in battle Lord Goodbrok.

I mean, what was supposed to do for it to be "honorable"?? ... Not attack him??

47 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Bar the RW, Walder Frey throws nice weddings.

But he was a pretty disliked dude before that, before the rebels just swept Elia under a rug, none of their actions were dishonorable.

48 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Imo, Tywin didnt give up Gregor because thatd reinforce the idea (truth) that Elia was murdered by Tywin.

It reinforces it as much as Lorch does,  the lone wolf idea he thought for Lorch served just as right for Gregor.

He himself tells us why he is not handing Gregor over. He doesn't feel like it.

14 minutes ago, frenin said:

Pretty honorable i'd say. I see no difference with other nice dudes such as Dany and Robb. It's what war is, it's not like he went and ordered a mass raping a la Tywin. He personally attacked and killed in battle Lord Goodbrok.

I mean, what was supposed to do for it to be "honorable"?? ... Not attack him??

Dany and Robb dont set fire to an entire village so only a half burnt stable remians 20 years later.

Yea attack him, not his houses, livestock and subjects.

Stannis once asked Davos' opinion about a similar attack he was planning. Davos called it evil

18 minutes ago, frenin said:

But he was a pretty disliked dude before that

Still, with that many kids, that many wives, dude threw some ragers. Like since day one, hes the matchmaker

Lord Frey's son was so taken by their antics that he joined in, pummeling the wedding guests with a bladder borrowed from a dwarf. The child had the most irritating laugh Dunk had ever heard, a high shrill hiccup of a laugh that made him want to take the boy over a knee or throw him down a well. If he hits me with that bladder, I may do it.

"There's the lad who made this marriage," Ser Maynard said as the chinless urchin went screaming past.

Now? I wouldnt call him a good party planner

20 minutes ago, frenin said:

before the rebels just swept Elia under a rug, none of their actions were dishonorable.

So, thats not true. But even if it was, who cares?

Robert ascended the steps of the iron throne on the bones of Elia and her children. Whatever bullshit chivalry the rebels told themselves left with the dragonspawn

34 minutes ago, frenin said:

It reinforces it as much as Lorch does,  the lone wolf idea he thought for Lorch served just as right for Gregor.

True. But he didnt want to at first and only agreed after much advice. Plus Lorch was dead so it was more meaningless

36 minutes ago, frenin said:

He himself tells us why he is not handing Gregor over. He doesn't feel like it.

Word. He doesnt feel like admitting hes a fucking scumbag 

17 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Dany and Robb dont set fire to an entire village so only a half burnt stable remians 20 years later.

Yes they do.

Robb paid the Westerlands in kind and Dany... Let's say she does do.

Yea attack him, not his houses, livestock and subjects.

Because...

Stannis once asked Davos' opinion about a similar attack he was planning. Davos called it evil

It wasn't similar at all, Axell Florent wanted to kill civilians and outright plunder, just what Dany and Robb did btw, just for the sake of it, Adrian Celtigar wasn't even at Claw Isle.

Hoster Tully went after Goodbrok in person.

Still, with that many kids, that many wives, dude threw some ragers. Like since day one, hes the matchmaker

Not very difficult tbh, there are always people ready enough to jump on the boat.

So, thats not true. But even if it was, who cares?

It's true and i mean, that was the whole point of the conversation wasn't it.

Robert ascended the steps of the iron throne on the bones of Elia and her children. Whatever bullshit chivalry the rebels told themselves left with the dragonspawn

As if he wasn't going to ascend the steps of that pointy chair regardless.

And you talk as if the rebels actually had a hand on killing Elia and her children, the rebels sin is condoning that murder.

True. But he didnt want to at first and only agreed after much advice. Plus Lorch was dead so it was more meaningless

How he didn't want to?? Tyrion offered him Dorne in exchange of nothing and given that he doesn't want  Dorne to side with his enemies, i think he should've just given it a thought.

Word. He doesnt feel like admitting hes a fucking scumbag 

Just an arrogant asshole, meh.

Perhaps the answer to every single dispute is not independence. Dorne was formally in the fold for between 90-100 years at this point. >= 1/3 of the time of the other regions and with more autonomy, but still a region. Also, not to be "that guy" but I imagine some of the other Lords would be thinking: why appease Dorne? Dorne had a strong association with the Targaryen dynasty and historical animosity with the region where the new monarch came from. Hugs were not likely on the table.

16 hours ago, Orm said:

But unfortunately for the Targs it was Rhaegar the Mad Pussy............ But Daemon would have been smashed to pulp as well (if no dragon).........

Besides Rob had balls of Valyrian Steel.........

Robert  got wounded by Randyll Tarly.

Spoiler

Daemon Targaryen is chad. He isn’t a cuckold like Robert.

2 hours ago, frenin said:

Yes they do.

No they dont

Robb paid the Westerlands in kind

He stole some cows, or told Mormont to. He didnt go Darry on any village though

and Dany... Let's say she does do.

But she doesnt

It wasn't similar at all, Axell Florent wanted to kill civilians and outright plunder, just what Dany and Robb did btw, just for the sake of it,

You think these lords care about money? Means to an end. (Saan cared) 

Florent, like Tully, wanted to show their strength as a message to their other bannermen lordlings. 

Robb was bating Tywin and Dany has a campaign to finance. Which doesnt sound great, but its against slavers not serfs so it does sound a little better

Hoster Tully went after Goodbrok in person.

And proceeded to massacre their smallfolk and annihilate their home

It's true

That Eddard sneaking into the Sisters like the six fingered Davos was honorable? Thats true? Cuz that's how honorable lords address their men in times of war "I was never here". Ok

How about Hoster the honorable? Cuz what doesnt scream honor like pimping out, not one, but both daughters! Lysas practically a maiden, even better really cuz of all that honorable tansy she got pumped into her

Then we come to the king of honor, hiding under a prostitutes skirt in the middle of fucking battle

3 hours ago, frenin said:

i mean, that was the whole point of the conversation wasn't it.

Yea, but i think dragonspawn overshadows whatever else Robert and co did.

As if he wasn't going to ascend the steps of that pointy chair regardless

Exactly

And you talk as if the rebels actually had a hand on killing Elia and her children, the rebels sin is condoning that murder

Sure. Sins a sin, right? 

And honestly itd be better if they did. The greatest lord of the realm proudly laid out on an honorable crimson cloak the two small bodies, like the animal he was. 

Pretty bad precedent Roberts setting here. Tywin is, apparently, above the law. Far above it. He flaunts it. So Robert marries his daughter

How he didn't want to?? Tyrion offered him Dorne in exchange of nothing and given that he doesn't want  Dorne to side with his enemies, i think he should've just given it a thought

Yea, they also got his granddaughter, not that he thought about that. 

Idk, I thought I remember him procrastinating with Lorch as well as Gregor

Just an arrogant asshole, meh

There's few worse

17 hours ago, frenin said:

The sea is full of Gregors that don't think too hard about it, the West particularly is full of them.

How do you figure the West is particularly full of them?

But no, the Westerlands is not going to be full of Gregor Clegane's, notable warriors, commanders who are willing to murder royal infants.

Crakehall and Westerling, who are sent to track down Aerys, have no idea about what is happening to the children. Most nobles would not go do what Clegane did to royal children.

You could argue that there would be commoners like Bronn all around the continent, but they would not have the same trust in them.

17 hours ago, SeanF said:

Yandel's account sounds more like official propaganda than an honest account.  

Yes. That is how propaganda works. From the bodies being discovered they news would be about other forms of her death rather than the truth.

The reason why Oberyn needs Gregor to admit it is because it is not common knowledge to the regular folk. Some people know the truth, but the official story if that it is unclear how she and her children died.

Similar to the real Princes in the Tower from history. Some people at the time would have known the truth, but propaganda means we have no idea who it was, though we can give educated guesses.

13 hours ago, The Wolves said:

Just because someone does one evil doesn’t justify doing another evil. 

Ok......... Just saying the Targs threw the first punch/heinous act......... And the rebels condoned one done by the Lannisters.......

And all Rhaegar did was take a girl(we don’t even know the whole story yet)his punishment didn’t fit his crime. Aerys was mad who should have been put down earlier in life or his power taken away. 

So you are going to whitewash Aerys and Rhaegar but demonize Rob and Jon? I'll give you Rhaegar's full story and that according to Martin is 'A Love-sick Fool'.......... Who started the war which killed thousands...... And let's not talk about the mad cunt.....

Aerys and Rhaegar made their mistakes but theirs is NOTHING compared to the fact that Jon Arryn and Robert Baratheon stood in the middle of thousands of dead innocent women, children, and men who were raped, brutalized, and other horrors and rewarded their murderers. As the new King and Hand, Elia, her children and the citizens of Kings  Landing deserved justice which they never saw. 

Oh PLEASE Aerys and Rhaegar are the ones , it happened in the first place........ I'll give that Rob was being a moral coward on that occasion, But what the hell were you expecting Jon to do!? The mad Targs are the reason that his house is down to one family member (himself)...... Declare War on the West?? 

Having said that Robert's only mistake he could have avoided  was not trusting/liking Stannis..........

It’s karma that these two monsters were murdered and their legacy ended in corruption, death, blood, and war

Yeah, then it's Karma that Targs were disposed this way............

It also must have been Robb's Karma which caused the red wedding, right?

9 hours ago, BloodyJollyRoger said:

Robert  got wounded by Randyll Tarly.

Evidence?

The Sack of Kings Landing was a dishonourable act on the part of the rebels, by in-universe standards.  A city that offers resistance can expect a sacking, when taken by storm.  But, sacking a city that peacefully admits an army, which then turns on the inhabitants, would be considered a war crime.  Nor was it just Western men who took part.  Northern soldiers did so, as well.

Aerys was appalling, and had to be removed, but the rebels didn't emerge from this conflict with clean hands.

The slaughter of the villagers, by Hoster Tully?  Here, I think is a case of values dissonance.  Very few people, in-universe, would see anything wrong with it.  Nor with whole concept of the chevauchee. 

3 hours ago, Orm said:

Ok......... Just saying the Targs threw the first punch/heinous act......... And the rebels condoned one done by the Lannisters.......

So you are going to whitewash Aerys and Rhaegar but demonize Rob and Jon? I'll give you Rhaegar's full story and that according to Martin is 'A Love-sick Fool'.......... Who started the war which killed thousands...... And let's not talk about the mad cunt.....

Oh PLEASE Aerys and Rhaegar are the ones , it happened in the first place........ I'll give that Rob was being a moral coward on that occasion, But what the hell were you expecting Jon to do!? The mad Targs are the reason that his house is down to one family member (himself)...... Declare War on the West?? 

Having said that Robert's only mistake he could have avoided was trusting/liking Stannis..........

Yeah, then it's Karma that Targs were disposed this way............

It also must have been Robb's Karma which caused the red wedding, right?

Evidence?

The Battle Of Ashford..

43 minutes ago, BloodyJollyRoger said:

The Battle Of Ashford

So battle of Ashford is where Randyll met Rob in single combat and Rob was wounded.......... Or was it Rob fought in the front lines, saw that he was outnumbered/outsmarted, made a tactical retreat and got wounded somewhere in the process?

7 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

No they dont

You have the text and you have their exploits, I'm too sleepy right now to quote anything else.

He stole some cows, or told Mormont to. He didnt go Darry on any village though

Stole some cows... So did Hoster Tully then. If you're just retorting to plausible deniability...

But she doesnt

Suure.

Astapor and Meereen were like that when she came by, it happened to other one.

You think these lords care about money? Means to an end. (Saan cared) 

Given that Stannis was at the moment without it and one of the goals of the attack was plundering, you tell me.

What's the point of giving an example If you're just going to ignore whatever that example says to try and fit it with your preconceived notion??

Florent, like Tully, wanted to show their strength as a message to their other bannermen lordlings. 

Sure, by personally killing Lord Goodbrok. Again, it's not like he acted a place just to send a message, he went to there to battle Goodbrok.

Robb was bating Tywin and Dany has a campaign to finance. Which doesnt sound great, but its against slavers not serfs so it does sound a little better

Aaaah, i see, the nuance. Here i thought that they didn't do it.

Hoster was fighting Aerys so, apparently that's a scape goat... He didn't go after the folj, he went after Goodbrok, for like tenth time.

8 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

And proceeded to massacre their smallfolk and annihilate their home

Did he now?? You will certainly have to show me, because we're not told that he just massacred the smallfolk. We're told that he torched the place however.

That Eddard sneaking into the Sisters like the six fingered Davos was honorable? Thats true? Cuz that's how honorable lords address their men in times of war "I was never here". Ok

What's the dishonorable part about that??

Eddard didn't say that he was never here, Lord Borrell específically told him that if he loses he was never there. 

How about Hoster the honorable? Cuz what doesnt scream honor like pimping out, not one, but both daughters! Lysas practically a maiden, even better really cuz of all that honorable tansy she got pumped into her

Either you're picking the honorability terms in a Disney book, or you're simply set on venting.

Pimping out children is literally their job, nor do i know what is dishonorable about the tansy.

Then we come to the king of honor, hiding under a prostitutes skirt in the middle of fucking battle

See?? You just want to rant.

Tell me, what's the dishonorable part about that??

Yea, but i think dragonspawn overshadows whatever else Robert and co did.

Fair enough. You're entirely right on this, if they were ok with the dragonspawn thing, the rest doesn't really mean shit.

Exactly

Oh, wasn't Robert going to be named King whether the children lived or die?? That's new.

Pretty bad precedent Roberts setting here. Tywin is, apparently, above the law. Far above it. He flaunts it. So Robert marries his daughter

What law??

Tywin himself never admitted the crime and Robert marries his daughter because his own bride dies in childbirth.

Yea, they also got his granddaughter, not that he thought about that. 

Idk, I thought I remember him procrastinating with Lorch as well as Gregor

Nah, he says Gregor is useful and that the rest are lesser beasts.

4 hours ago, Bernie Mac said:

How do you figure the West is particularly full of them?

It was a manner of speaking, Tywin would not be at need of need of hired muscle if he gets rid of Gregor. 

As he himself planned to do, once Gregor confessed.

4 hours ago, Bernie Mac said:

You could argue that there would be commoners like Bronn all around the continent, but they would not have the same trust in them.

How so?? Lorch was pretty easy to find too.

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

The Sack of Kings Landing was a dishonourable act on the part of the rebels,

Tywin, if the rebels did something bad, by all means say it, but just as I'm pretty sure you don't pin the Greyjoy's actions on the rebels, I'm not sure what makes you decide that Tywin is part of the rebels... Hindsight??

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

by in-universe standards

True.

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

Northern soldiers did so, as well.

When?? 

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

Aerys was appalling, and had to be removed, but the rebels didn't emerge from this conflict with clean hands.

No side emerge from a war with clean hands. You do seem to understand that concept when talking about Dany and the Blacks in the Dance...

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

The slaughter of the villagers, by Hoster Tully?

I'm sorry... What slaughter of villagers??

Here, I think is a case of values dissonance.  Very few people, in-universe, would see anything wrong with it.  Nor with whole concept of the chevauchee. 

True, the system is messed up.

58 minutes ago, frenin said:

No side emerge from a war with clean hands. You do seem to understand that concept when talking about Dany and the Blacks in the Dance...

That I understand.  I'll reiterate.  I think that Robert, Jon Arryn, Ned had every right to raise their banners, once Aerys called for their heads.  That was a breach of the feudal bargain.  Once they did so, Aerys had to die, and so realistically, did Rhaegar, once he chose to fight for his father.  Plainly, innocents were going to die in such a conflict, but the rebels could not be expected to act as Aerys' doormats.

But, I think Robert's decision to claim the throne endangered the royal children, as much as Richard III's decision to claim the throne endangered Edward and Richard of York.  I think that his decision to condone - and I would argue, reward - the murder of Elia and her children was a huge black mark against him.  It sends the message that not only will such murders not be punished by the new King, but that the way to gain reward from him is to act similarly in the future.  A man who discovered the identity of Jon Snow, or who captured Rhaella, Viserys, or Daenerys - and slew them - could expect similar treatment at Robert's hands.

It's not even very intelligent on Robert's part.  A ruler who was either more ethical, or more cunning, would have very publicly executed Clegane and Lorch, proclaiming his horror at their deeds, boosting the standing of the new regime in the eyes of his subjects. 

Archived