I love Cersei in Feast

Yup. She is the ultimate mean girl and it is glorious.

Cersei did not intend to squander Tommen's strength playing wet nurse to sparrows, or guarding the wrinkled cunts of a thousand sour septas. Half of them are probably praying for a good raping.

"Your lackwit sister gets herself raped by half of King's Landing, and Tanda thinks to honor the bastard with my lord father's name? I think not."

"I understand." Ser Balman raised a finger.

A turnip would have grasped it quicker. 

Someday I will teach you the meaning of "ill luck," the queen had vowed.

What brings you to the Maidenvault so often? Not Margaery's vapid conversation, surely? Are you courting that pox-faced septa of hers? Diddling little Lady Bulwer?

Septa Moelle was a white-haired harridan with a face as sharp as an axe and lips pursed in perpetual disapproval. This one still has her maidenhead, I'll wager, Cersei thought, though by now it's hard and stiff as boiled leather. 

The picture of this sour old crone poking her wrinkled fingers up Margaery's little pink cunt was so droll that Cersei almost laughed.

"A Frey girl, and not of my choosing. She is not even maiden. A widow, of Darry blood. My father says that will help me with the peasants, but the peasants are all dead." He reached for her hand. "It is cruel, Cersei. Your Grace knows that I love—"

"—House Lannister," she finished for him. "No one can doubt that, Lancel. May your wife give you strong sons." Best not let her lord grandfather host the wedding, though.

"Would Your Grace honor her white knight with a dance?"

She gave him a withering look. "And have you fumbling at me with that stump? No. I will let you fill my wine cup for me, though. If you think you can manage it without spilling"

George has done a great job of portraying her slow descent into madness.  She's losing respect for her friends and supporters, thinking them to be false or stupid, even as she appoints false or stupid ones to the Small Council.  She's drinking more (as Jaime notices; sorry, I don't recall the specific book and chapter), and gaining weight (blaming it on serving girls who she thinks washed her clothes wrong and made them shrink).  And all the while she thinks she's being a great ruler.  I hate her, but I love reading about her. (I feel the same way about the Iron Islanders -- most of them, anyway.)

1 hour ago, Aebram said:

George has done a great job of portraying her slow descent into madness. 

And then there's her Tyrion obsession. She sees him everywhere, burned down the ancient Tower of the Hand trying to kill him, has become the bane of all dwarves from Westeros to the Free Cities with her bounty on the little guy's head.

2 hours ago, Aebram said:

George has done a great job of portraying her slow descent into madness.  She's losing respect for her friends and supporters, thinking them to be false or stupid, even as she appoints false or stupid ones to the Small Council.  She's drinking more (as Jaime notices; sorry, I don't recall the specific book and chapter), and gaining weight (blaming it on serving girls who she thinks washed her clothes wrong and made them shrink).  And all the while she thinks she's being a great ruler.  I hate her, but I love reading about her. (I feel the same way about the Iron Islanders -- most of them, anyway.)

Really well said. First couple of POVs you can see her going hard on the strong wine before Jamie thinks about it. 

I love how self assured she is while making her decisions too, and throwing the wine in Kevans dumb face was a real highlight. 

I've always found it fascinating that she hated (still hates) Robert Baratheon so much yet she becomes more and more like him with the drinking and rape fantasies with Tana. Some of that is she resents being excluded from power solely because she's a woman but she is often thinking about Robert just before or during all that kinda stuff.

Edit: and that monologue where she talks about jerking Robert off and eating his semen and describing it as eating his children in the dark is pretty wildly psychotic. The more I reread those Feast chapters the more I love to hate Cersei. She is truly goddamn nuts. 

Cersei is wonderfully nuts. She is wonderfully narcissistic. The way she pats herself on the back for what she thinks is a job well done is. She thinks she knows everything, she thinks her plans are so very awesome as they blow up in her face one by one. Cersei is such a stable genius.

Cersei thought of all the King's Hands that she had known through the years: Owen Merryweather, Jon Connington, Qarlton Chelsted, Jon Arryn, Eddard Stark, her brother Tyrion. And her father, Lord Tywin Lannister, her father most of all. All of them are burning now, she told herself, savoring the thought. They are dead and burning, every one, with all their plots and schemes and betrayals. It is my day now. It is my castle and my kingdom.

The thing is, it's Feast. I love Brienne, and it's so so nice to have someone even try to be honourable, but... after all that Brienne, there's quite a long, though altogether praiseworthy, sermon from Meribald. Which I always read respectfully. But after that, I am really not ready for yet another sermon from Elder Brother. I want to read Cersei going nuts, getting drunk and wanting to slap everyone.

"... When we find the Imp, we will find the Lady Sansa too. She is not dead... but before I am done, I promise you, she will be singing to the Stranger, begging for his kiss."

An awkward silence followed. Have they all swallowed their tongues? Cersei thought, with irritation. It was enough to make her wonder why she bothered with a council.

On 7/23/2020 at 2:28 PM, Lord Lannister said:

She's definitely a toxic person and it's refreshing to get a glimpse at that unfiltered. So yeah, be sure to remember her petty hate in Feast when you're tempted to feel sorry for her walk of shame in Dance.

Never felt sorry for her at all. Might have done if she hadn't been the one to arm the faith to begin with, but this is just her homemade bomb blowing up on her kitchen table.

• 9 months later...

I love Cersei's chapters too but feel they were a bit overdone.  Like I felt the same amount of material could have been cut down a couple more chapters and would have been even better.  But I do love the humor and you could tell GRRM was having a blast writing a POV for a paranoid delusional maniac.  I also love how behind all the humor there is legitimate pathos to be mined from Cersei's descent into madness.  You can just see and feel how much she is suffering from losing Joffrey and Myrcella and she is sort of justified to be terrified of Tyrion considering from her POV she would hold him responsible for both (and from Tyrion's POV we know Cersei is right to be afraid of him considering all he wants is revenge on her).  My favorite thing about her POV is probably how funny it is to see her essentially turn into Robert Baratheon while thinking she is doing the exact opposite- watching her turn into a drunk careless idiot who thinks she's Tywin but is actually more like Robert is hilarious.  

Archived