HOUSE OF THE DRAGON confirmed to be covering the Dance

Werthead

I think it's more that it's confirmed that there will be no Aegon, Maegor and maybe we're gonna get an episode or two of Jaeharys (the show will probably begin with the Grand Council or Jaehaerys's death), when it wasn't clear before how much backstory we would get.

1 hour ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

the show will probably begin with the Grand Council or Jaehaerys's death

As they should! The Dance started after Viserys I's death but it is rooted in the last few decisions of Jaehaerys I. Plus if you start with the Great Council, you can easily introduce the people who will be important during the Dance.

I that that's extremely unlikely and way too early for the show's main narrative.

I suspect it will start with the tourney where they take the name "blacks" and "greens" and we'll get a feeling for who the players are during that tourney, with the events of The Rogue Prince forming a storyline for Season 1. I suspect the Dance won't start in earnest until the end of Season 1.

12 hours ago, Werthead said:

I that that's extremely unlikely and way too early for the show's main narrative.

I suspect it will start with the tourney where they take the name "blacks" and "greens" and we'll get a feeling for who the players are during that tourney, with the events of The Rogue Prince forming a storyline for Season 1. I suspect the Dance won't start in earnest until the end of Season 1.

Makes sense for it to be the big ending moment. Perhaps it will be Aegon being crowned and his dad's death being covered up or the moment Rhaenrya discovers that her crown has been stolen from her and declares war. 

If Rhaenyra's actress is supposed to be a woman in her late twenties we would assume the main storyline would start shortly before the Dance itself, i.e. at some point in the 120s.

Unless, of course, they don't bother with George's bad chronology - another army of young children, etc. - and make Rhaenyra and thus her children somewhat older. They don't have to bother with dates in the show, but they could easily make the reign of Viserys I longer or move Rhaenyra's birth further back in time to the early 90s.

What's good is that the lead roles seem to be both Rhaenyra and Alicent. That relationship should be at the heart of this story. And it should not just be blind hatred but something that grew out of a friendship of sorts.

I think they could/should still work with some flashbacks and the like, but who knows.

Still not sure if that is going to be a good show. It is not very complex as a conflict, and effectively just a rehash of the game of thrones aspect of ASoIaF on a smaller scale. More dragons are fun, of course, but having just two factions shouldn't make the story as compelling as ASoIaF.

Considering my bitching about this albino thing in another threat, I wanted to ask if anybody knows any great albino actors you would like to see play Targaryens/Velaryons/Hull boys/Two Betrayers in the upcoming show?

I'd prefer it if they found actors and actresses having natural platinum blond hair, pale skin, and those violet eyes than doing that by ways of weird wigs and contact lenses. Although I have to say they did really great work with those purple eyes of Yennefer's in 'The Witcher' - although not with an albino playing an albino in the lead role.

• 3 weeks later...

Just because "The House of the Dragon" is covering the Dance doesn't mean that they are skipping over Aegon, Aenys or Maegor. In fact, I think skipping over the stories of Maegor, Rhaena, Aerea as well as the other big, early events of the reign of Jaehaerys would be a huuuuuuuuge mistake.

After a certain point, you can jump ahead decades into the future. If they play with the chronology as @Lord Varys suggests (I think it's an absolute necessity), you can combine the two public marital spats of Jaehaerys and Alysanne into one large one and have it take place at the same time as the Great Council. You can also have the stories of Saera and Viserra take place around the same time as the Great Council or even shortly afterwards for added drama.

The first season could be about the fall of King Maegor with the final episode pointing to the ascension of Jaehaerys. The second could be about King Jaehaerys and his family, including the sad stories of Rhaena and Aerea. The third season could set the stage for the Dance.

However, if they had any sense, they'd start with the Great Council in the last few years of Jaehaerys I. All of the big movers and shakers in the Dance (with a few exceptions) either had a significant part to play in the events of the Great Council, they were personally present for the proceedings or the outcome of the Great Council informed their politics.

I would also think it best that they try really hard not to make the Dance one-dimensional. It's not just a two-faction war. The Tullys, the Starks, the Baratheons, the Arryns, the Lannisters, the Greyjoys and the Tyrells all need to be involved. If they want to make it interesting by writing original material for the Martells and the Free Cities....great! All the better.

If not, the Dance becomes too much like a tennis match with one side doing this and the other side responding.

On 7/22/2020 at 8:55 PM, Lord Varys said:

Considering my bitching about this albino thing in another threat, I wanted to ask if anybody knows any great albino actors you would like to see play Targaryens/Velaryons/Hull boys/Two Betrayers in the upcoming show?

I'd prefer it if they found actors and actresses having natural platinum blond hair, pale skin, and those violet eyes than doing that by ways of weird wigs and contact lenses. Although I have to say they did really great work with those purple eyes of Yennefer's in 'The Witcher' - although not with an albino playing an albino in the lead role.

Sorry but no. Don't know any...

Archived