Cricket 39: Playing COVID-19 With a Straight Bat

Jeor

On 9/7/2020 at 3:56 AM, Jeor said:

Aussies definitely look out of shape and out of practice. Game 1 could have been forgiven as a collective brain fade in the final 6 overs of the match - up until then everything had gone pretty well. But Game 2 they were behind from the start and never recovered.

It was very sporting of Jos Buttler to take a break to give the Australians a chance of winning a match.

I went to bed thinking Australia were well on track to restricting England to a nice, gettable total.

Turns out I was correct, but underestimated the capacity for Australia to do their best collapsing impression of the 90s England sides...

That was a crazy game and a fitting end to what has been a rather bizarre series.

Lots of topsy-turvy stuff with England loseing two wickets from the first two balls, recovering to post a big total, then Australia reduced to 5/73 chasing 300+, and then recovering, and then having a last minute stutter. 

Maxwell has such low consistency, but when it comes off, no one can live with him. Seven big cow-corner sixes. 

Mitchell Starc must have some sort of record for "immediate impact". His first two balls of the match were wickets, and then his first ball as a batsman he hit for 6.

Yeah, it was a good game.

A bit of a mixed bag of a series for England. The bowling was pretty good and, despite last night's final over, Rashid looks back to his best after the shoulder problems he was struggling with last year. The batting was relatively disappointing by their usual standards though. England's two best limited overs batsmen this summer were probably the two guys who missed out in this series in Banton and Malan.

Cricket has had a very large viewership over the years, thanks to the former British Colonies (now in the Commonwealth), especially India with its 1.3 billion strong population just behind China and soon to overtake it (not something to be proud of, considering all the unemployment, poverty, hunger and crime that accompanies population explosions. Add religious riots between the Hindus and Muslims also, an Indian exclusive).

And even though I agree with Winston Churchill that it's a game where 11000 idiots watching 11 idiots play, I'm a proud idiot. And now stadiums can seat ten times the 11000 idiots easily. Not mentioning the millions of viewers via TV and Internet. 

The 2019 ICC World Cup had 2.6 billion viewers. Now the long awaited IPL (Indian Premier League) is going to start tomorrow. It's the biggest cash cow for BCCI, Indian's cricket council. India and Australia are arguably the finest teams in World cricket now. Last year's IPL had 462 million viewers. With no spectators allowed this year (being held in the UAE  BTW) viewership is expected to increase drastically. T20 cricket has never been more exciting. Chennai Super kings, the most consistent and the most successful team is the favorite, though Mumbai Indians, the defending champions (won by ONE RUN against the CSK last year !!! ONE RUN!!! )

Though it's played in a bubble, sports is limping towards a new normal.

So... Let the games begin!!!

On 9/18/2020 at 3:47 PM, TheLastWolf said:

Chennai Super kings, the most consistent and the most successful team is the favorite, though Mumbai Indians, the defending champions (won by ONE RUN against the CSK last year !!! ONE RUN!!! )

Just as I said. Csk whooped MI's ass. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.india.com/sports/live-cricket-score-mi-vs-csk-dream11-ipl-2020-live-updates-mumbai-indians-vs-chennai-super-kings-match-1-ipl-live-ball-by-ball-commentary-hotstar-app-rayudu-du-plessis-fifties-power-csk-5-wicket-win-v-4146209/amp/

6 hours ago, Hereward said:

A man can dream.

It will happen. Australia has had a knack for making life completely impossible for its citizens since the beginning of the pandemic, but really quite easy for its professional sporting codes. 

On 9/18/2020 at 6:17 AM, TheLastWolf said:

Chennai Super kings, the most consistent and the most successful team is the favorite, though Mumbai Indians, the defending champions (won by ONE RUN against the CSK last year !!! ONE RUN!!! )

Depends on your metric. Arguably MI are the most successful team in the IPL (having won four of the last six tournaments and most overall). The Super Kings won two championships in the early 2010s, then again in 2018. They've also lost the final a ridiculous five times. 

As long as Smith and Warner's teams suck (the latter lost today), I am happy. Probably rooting for Kings XI and RCB. 

ETA: I do wish that Rising Pune Supergiant was still in the IPL. Best franchise name ever. They didn't even bother going for "Supergiants". One Supergiant and that's all folks. 

9 minutes ago, Paxter said:

It will happen. Australia has had a knack for making life completely impossible for its citizens since the beginning of the pandemic, but really quite easy for its professional sporting codes. 

I’m sure, you’re right. I was just hoping to be there.

1 minute ago, Hereward said:

I’m sure, you’re right. I was just hoping to be there.

Nonsense. There's really no benefit to smelling the freshly mown grass, queuing excitedly for a meat pie amongst colourful, one-eyed fans, hearing the excited hubbub of the packed crowd and tasting that ice-cold lager, just as Nasser wins the toss and fields first.

The TV broadcast is perfectly adequate. 

*Paxter dies inside*

12 hours ago, Paxter said:

Arguably MI are the most successful team in the IPL

Coz they played two more seasons than CSK during the ban in which RPS (Rising Pune Supergiants) replaced it. And losing finals was due to an individual's match fixing that led to the ban in the first place. And last years final was controversial due to a run out error (intentionally?!) 

Archived