Cricket 39: Playing COVID-19 With a Straight Bat

Jeor

On 9/26/2020 at 2:38 AM, TheLastWolf said:

Does anyone else apart from me think that Deepak Chahar (only bowler apart from Bhuvaneswar Kumar in India to bowl both inswing and outswing effectively) is eerily similar to Poe Dameron (Oscar Isaac in Star Wars)

Not as close a resemblance as Jonny Bairstow and Rupert Grint. But yes, I can see it.

Pretty awesome run chase in Sharjah tonight...Royals were gone for all money until a relatively unknown pinch-hitter (Rahul Tawatia) smashed Cottrell for 30 in an over. Ouch. 

ETA: What about Nasser and Putin? :P

9 hours ago, Paxter said:

Not as close a resemblance as Jonny Bairstow and Rupert Grint

:agree:

But yes, I can see it.

Glad

Pretty awesome run chase in Sharjah tonight...Royals were gone for all money until a relatively unknown pinch-hitter (Rahul Tawatia) smashed Cottrell for 30 in an over. Ouch

et the extra terrestrial

10 hours ago, Paxter said:

ETA: What about Nasser and Putin? :P

Maybe without Nasser's moustache

On 9/22/2020 at 9:20 PM, Paxter said:

Speaking of CSK...they just conceded 27 runs of two legal deliveries: 2 6s, 2 6s off no balls, 1 wide.

Now I've seen everything!

Now I bet you can't say the same.

10 wicket victory. 2. 2 overs to spare. Chasing 179 on a big ground where 155 is decent. Watto and Faf. 83 and 87 not out respectively. 

4 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Now I bet you can't say the same.

10 wicket victory. 2. 2 overs to spare. Chasing 179 on a big ground where 155 is decent. Watto and Faf. 83 and 87 not out respectively. 

Hehe. Check who's on top of the table!

(You know I'm kidding...Warner and Smith's teams are going pretty ordinarily. That's all I need to be happy!)

Some nice news this week with NZ's international cricket schedule for the 20/21 season released. It's a big touring schedule with the Windies, Pakistan, Australia and Bangladesh all set for appearances (the first two for tests). Sadly it looks like the wheels have fallen off in South Africa and it's hard to know what will happen to their usual summer of cricket. 

• 4 weeks later...

I know this isn't (at all) an IPL thread, but it's been a pretty decent tournament. It looked as if Mumbai, Delhi, RCB and KKR were all certainties for the finals, but then Kings XI went on a big winning streak (helped by Chris Gayle) and Rajasthan also scored some big wins (thanks, Ben Stokes).

Pakistan is hosting some limited overs stuff at home against Zim right now, which is nice for them as they slowly transition back to playing on home turf. And we are now under a month away from seeing Australia and NZ host matches for the summer season. England is also touring SA, which is going to be...interesting. South African cricket is at its lowest ebb since I started following cricket. 

I'm not a regular IPL watcher by any means but given we're going back into lockdown in England and I won't have much else to do I might as well watch some of the final round and play offs. I was leaning towards supporting Rajasthan considering they have a core of England players but I've just realised Steve Smith's the Rajasthan captain so I might have to have a bit of a rethink.

On 11/1/2020 at 9:14 AM, ljkeane said:

I'm not a regular IPL watcher by any means but given we're going back into lockdown in England and I won't have much else to do I might as well watch some of the final round and play offs. I was leaning towards supporting Rajasthan considering they have a core of England players but I've just realised Steve Smith's the Rajasthan captain so I might have to have a bit of a rethink.

Haha they are eliminated anyway. Cummins destroyed them in the final game and they ended up bottom of the table (suffer in your jocks Steve Smith!)

Warner's Sunrisers are still in the mix...they need to beat Mumbai in the final round robin match. 

I hate T20, but in The End Times you have to get your jollies where you can, so I was also supporting RR, though the presence of Smith made that bloody hard. Still, it was good to see Stokes finally hit some form, though I still maintain he’s not a great T20 player; it takes him so long to get in, it can even be frustrating in ODIs.

I think it's difficult for players who play across all formats to really master T20. Even Kohli (despite being 4th-highest run getter) has looked off the pace at times in this tournament as he struggled to find the right rhythm for T20 batting. It tends to suit guys like Dhawan, Gayle or De Kock who have a "see ball, swing" mentality. 

ETA: I can't believe you both had the stomach for Smith's team. Bleh. 

39 minutes ago, Paxter said:

ETA: I can't believe you both had the stomach for Smith's team. Bleh. 

In fairness I thought about it for about 10 minutes yesterday to come up with my initial massive Royals fandom and then jumped ship after noticing Smith was the captain just before their big defeat. So on balance it worked out ok for me.

As a Kolkota Knight Riders fan of going on 36 hours of course I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a Mumbai win tomorrow.

32 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

In fairness I thought about it for about 10 minutes yesterday to come up with my initial massive Royals fandom and then jumped ship after noticing Smith was the captain just before their big defeat. So on balance it worked out ok for me.

As a Kolkota Knight Riders fan of going on 36 hours of course I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a Mumbai win tomorrow.

Haha.

KKR are a bit of an odd side. They don't have a lot of big batting names other than Morgan (who has been awesome), while some of their regular performers like Karthik and Russell have been woefully out of touch. But they got just enough out of their local batsmen to give Cummins and Narine something to bowl at. 

Mumbai is the opposite - batting powerhouse led by Pollard who is averaging 109. Bowling wise, it's Bumrah or bust. 

Hoping that Warner's mob loses tomorrow too! Generally the Australian players haven't had a great tournament, outside of Cummins and maybe Stoinis and Warner. The Big Show was terrible with the bat. 

5 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I turned over from the US election coverage and Moeen's on a free hit, against a spinner, to get off the mark and he managed to get run out by a mile. Oh dear.

RCB continues tradition. Only CSK have broken theirs. DC too continues. KXIP no suprise in squandering wins with big names in the 11. MI ominously in form. SRH consistent (tho only half of csk's consistency). KKR  meh. RR beh

Unfortunately a good competition has produced two forgettable finals. Delhi were thrashed by Mumbai, while RCB were knocked out in reasonably comfortable fashion by Hyderabad. 

Looks like it will be Mumbai's year (again). 

So Kohli is going to head back to India after the first test of the Australian summer. Given Australia's current restrictions around quarantine, you'd think that rules him out of at least the next two tests. And, in turn, it's going to make for a significantly less interesting test series.

Indians v Capitals tomorrow. Mumbai is eyeing off a fifth title in the last eight years. 

Triple post...but I couldn't resist lamenting a poor IPL finals series. Didn't do justice to an otherwise absorbing tournament.

Kohli is confirmed to miss the final three tests of the Australian summer. Pretty frustrating and significantly reduces my interest! Unless Pujara can repeat his heroics from a couple of years ago, I'm not sure India can win in Australia without their captain and best bat. 

Archived