Cricket 39: Playing COVID-19 With a Straight Bat

Jeor

5 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Paternity leave man! Expecting first child with Anushka. 

Nah I’m not blaming him or anything! It’s just that usually you would be able to go back to India and return soonish. With COVID that’s impossible.

• 3 weeks later...

So I'll make my periodic attempt to revitalise this thread. In the next couple of weeks we have:

• A 3-match ODI series between Aus and India
  • A 3-match T20 series between NZ and WI
  • A 3-match T20 series between SA and Eng

Potentially a yawnfest but hey...some respite from a mostly cricket-less year. 

The T20 series in South Africa is pretty swiftly followed by a 3 match ODI series. A shame there aren't any tests but we'll have to take what we can get.

England are ringing the changes a little bit between the series so there's no Stokes and Archer for the T20s and then Woakes, Root (slightly strangely) and a few others are out for the ODIs.

India deserves the loss for including Saini instead of Natarajan. The latter's Yorkers took all the death over big wickets for SRH. Only because Saini was in RCB kohli took him. He could have taken Washington Sundar at least. 

And Maxwell and Finch flopped in the IPL for their respective teams of Punjab and RCB. But internationally... Mass

Apparently I read England’s ODI and T20 squads the wrong way round so it’s Archer and Stokes in the T20s and Root in the ODIs. That does make more sense.

I don’t have BT Sport so I can’t watch any of the cricket in Australia but that looks like a disappointing score for India.

6 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

And Maxwell and Finch flopped in the IPL for their respective teams of Punjab and RCB. But internationally... Mass

Forgot to mention - it was actually a pretty bad IPL for the majority of the Aussie players. Warner made 500+ runs but even he wasn't always on song. Cummins was brilliant. Stoinis was good. And the rest were all ordinary or poor (especially Maxwell with the bat). 

I may have underestimated how good South Africa’s score was. England with a very strong looking batting lineup were really battling to get to 180 until the wheels came off for Hendricks in the 17th over.

Good performance from Bairstow and a pretty good game overall.

From the incoming ICC Chairman:

"Test cricket has got its legacy and I am a purist but I do accept that as much as I want to keep it as it is, less and less countries are able to afford that arrangement and are able to play it."

Well, that sounds promising.

1 hour ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Depends how you read it. To me it sounds like Test cricket is going to get smashed/be low priority. I am assuming you think it is promising because it means other countries will get more funding to be able to afford to play more tests?

I agree.  It sounds like he likes Test cricket but is acknowledging that for a lot of countries it is not the top priority.

4 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Depends how you read it. To me it sounds like Test cricket is going to get smashed/be low priority. I am assuming you think it is promising because it means other countries will get more funding to be able to afford to play more tests?

I was assuming Paxter was being sarcastic.

5 hours ago, williamjm said:

I was assuming Paxter was being sarcastic.

Ding!

Come on TWS, surely you know me better than to be optimistic about cricket administrators. A real purist would let test cricket end over their dead body. 

On 11/27/2020 at 11:57 PM, TheLastWolf said:

India deserves the loss for including Saini instead of Natarajan. The latter's Yorkers took all the death over big wickets for SRH. Only because Saini was in RCB kohli took him. He could have taken Washington Sundar at least.

Natarajan looked pretty average today. I never get hyped about "good" bowler performance in T20. The format makes bowlers look better than they actually are since batters have to take so much risk and more often than not get themselves out. Pretty rare to see a T20 bowler transfer their success to ODI or test. Bumrah is probably the notable exception.

edit: after Hazlewood, Cummins and Starc, the aussie fast bowling stock is full of T20 hacks....

30 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Natarajan looked pretty average today.

International debut. Pressure match. Pride match. Low on confidence due to Kohli persisting with his RCB team ate Saini. Bad luck due to drop(s), misfielding, inside edge etc. But yeah, not phenomenal debut but better than Saini. Who knows what might have happened if Natarajan was starting instead of Saini in first ODI?

33 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Bumrah is probably the notable exception.

World's number one across all formats of the game 

34 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

edit: after Hazlewood, Cummins and Starc, the aussie fast bowling stock is full of T20 hacks...

:agree:

Plus++++..... Shardul Thakur was great. New to international... 

Archived