Cricket 39: Playing COVID-19 With a Straight Bat

Jeor

Good first day from India, but the test will be whether their batting can put up a decent total and make their bowlers' efforts count. Australia has some problems with their batting order, Labuschagne and Smith aside, there doesn't seem to be anyone who can reliably make a score. With those two, (Smith's duck aside), you know that even if they don't score a big century or whatever, you're still going to get a decent innings out of them.

I went to bed toward the end of the second session and I wake up and Australia went 195 all out?! I mean, they were not covering themselves with glory but I thought the middle order and tail could at least hold out until Day 2. Good effort from India's bowlers -- I really enjoyed watching them pick apart the Australian batsmen.

On the Australian batting performance - the last time they failed to make 200 in two consecutive first innings in Australia was 1978. And that was the Kim Hughes era. Warner can't return quickly enough!

New Zealand are just being themselves, pacing themselves to a strong position against a decent Pakistani attack. Sri Lanka was a surprise. 

ETA: Another (slightly cheeky) way I like to think about how ordinary Australia's test batting is, is to ask: how many NZers would walk into the Aus batting line-up?

Williamson obviously, replacing, let's say, Green. But maybe also Latham (averages 43 compared to Burns at 39); Taylor (averages 46 compared to Head at 41); Nicholls (averages 42 compared to Wade at 31); and Watling (averages 38 compared to Paine's 33). In other words, only Marnus and Steve Smith would keep their places in a combined top 7...

What’s going on with this pitch? It looks like it’s rained, which is clearly impossible. I fondly remember Desire accusing all other countries’ groundsmen of cheating cause their pitches don’t behave like Australian pitches, which are clearly the default!

Archived