Cricket 39: Playing COVID-19 With a Straight Bat

Jeor

On 9/21/2020 at 7:04 PM, Paxter said:

ETA: I do wish that Rising Pune Supergiant was still in the IPL. Best franchise name ever. They didn't even bother going for "Supergiants". One Supergiant and that's all folks. 

I always wondered how Kolkata Knight Riders got their name, was someone a really big fan of David Hasselhoff TV shows?

14 hours ago, Paxter said:

Speaking of CSK...they just conceded 27 runs of two legal deliveries: 2 6s, 2 6s off no balls, 1 wide.

Now I've seen everything!

Stuart Broadis a great bowler IMO and yet he conceded 6 sixes in an over to Yuvraj Singh. 

How can you judge a team which has made it to the playoffs in every season it has played with ruthless consistency , has the highest win percentage, has the longest serving captain who has won the World Cup, T20 world cup and champions trophy (only one to do so), the best finisher (aforementioned capt cool), only team to defend the title, best chasing team by ONE OVER!!??!? 

Lungi NGIDI is a promising young SA pacer with great career economy and wicket tally. Don't judge him or his team by one over. Piyush Chawla is Old. Simply couldn't face Sanju Samson's onslaught. 

I could go on about Csk's records, but I simply don't have the time. Look it up yourself. 

https://www.iplt20.com/teams/chennai-super-kings

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chennai_Super_Kings_records#:~:text=The Super Kings have lifted,Twenty20 in 2010 and 2014.

Adios amigo. 

16 hours ago, Paxter said:

Speaking of CSK...they just conceded 27 runs of two legal deliveries: 2 6s, 2 6s off no balls, 1 wide.

Now I've seen everything!

To get done like that by another Bowler as well, pretty rough!

1 hour ago, TheLastWolf said:

Stuart Broadis a great bowler IMO and yet he conceded 6 sixes in an over to Yuvraj Singh. 

How can you judge a team which has made it to the playoffs in every season it has played with ruthless consistency , has the highest win percentage, has the longest serving captain who has won the World Cup, T20 world cup and champions trophy (only one to do so), the best finisher (aforementioned capt cool), only team to defend the title, best chasing team by ONE OVER!!??!? 

Lungi NGIDI is a promising young SA pacer with great career economy and wicket tally. Don't judge him or his team by one over. Piyush Chawla is Old. Simply couldn't face Sanju Samson's onslaught. 

I could go on about Csk's records, but I simply don't have the time. Look it up yourself. 

https://www.iplt20.com/teams/chennai-super-kings

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chennai_Super_Kings_records#:~:text=The Super Kings have lifted,Twenty20 in 2010 and 2014.

Adios amigo. 

By your supreme lack of chill, I am going to assume you're a CSK fan? :lol:

8 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

I was only needling RE: CSK. They have made it to the final so many times you couldn't argue that any other team has been better. We aren't accustomed to much IPL passion here!

I only watch it to see Warner lose.  

9 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Oh! Your Aussie Brit rivalry, eh? 

Nope. I'm Australian. (Living in Canada). Warner is just a pain in the butt. 

ETA: Vale Dean Jones. I never watched him play live, but I did enjoy his commentary over the years. 

46 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Nope. I'm Australian. (Living in Canada). Warner is just a pain in the butt. 

I was once convinced he was the anti-Christ, but I’m pretty sure the anti-Christ would be more effective against medium pace round the wicket bowling. 

5 hours ago, Hereward said:

I was once convinced he was the anti-Christ, but I’m pretty sure the anti-Christ would be more effective in any conditions outside Australia.

Fixed that for you!

Putting Warner's struggles against Broady to one side, the guy is pretty useless outside of home conditions.

The current gap between his Away/Home test average is -33 runs...

ETA: He's still the anti-Christ. 

2 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

I wonder if the anti-Christ would have more patience at the crease. 

You’re right - the anti-Christ would probably have more patience. Constantly shuffling around the crease; an exaggerated back lift; never really looking in good form, but nevertheless able to survive. Occasionally getting away a nicely timed shot to the boundary (all along the carpet of course). A real motherfucker to get out. 

So yeah, Steve Smith is the anti-Christ.

4 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

And no rivalry in death. Please 

I don’t think you get the nature of the England/Australia rivalry. It’s pretty good natured and tongue in cheek, so this is not something you need to worry about. We’re not India and Pakistan!

5 hours ago, Hereward said:

We’re not India and Pakistan!

Haha so true.

Cricket is not the same without India v Pakistan. I was looking this up the other day: their last test match was in December 2007. Kumble was captaining India and Younis was in charge of Pakistan. Ishant is I think the only current player to ever experience the test rivalry. 

For the record...Pakistan has more test wins overall (11-9), with 38 (!) test draws between the nations.

Archived