"Cancel Culture" 3

DMC

25 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

There was a large effort to cancel Kelly Marie Tran. It might have been partially successful, in that it might have had an effect on decisions made for the next movie.

And there was the James Gunn thing. 

It certainly drove her completely off social media. :(

28 minutes ago, Durckad said:

Everything is political.

Also, everything is Star Wars now too.

Star Wars has always been political that's not the point.  My objection was about how such discussion rapidly metastasizes into throwing monkey poo at each other and I'd rather not.

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

Star Wars has always been political that's not the point. 

Lalalala, I can't hear you. Keep your politics out of my cherished childhood memories. Lalalalala.

My objection was about how such discussion rapidly metastasizes into throwing monkey poo at each other and I'd rather not.

That's silly. 

When have discussions about Star Wars been anything other than civil?

Besides, in a discussion about cancel culture, this should be one of the primary examples that cancelling is something the right-wing attempts to employ, considering the level of hate and vitriol leveled at some of its stars and creators over the past five years.

1 minute ago, Darth Richard II said:

Hey, you should see some of the arguments going on in the DC movies fandom right now.

No, I really shouldn't. Fandoms are insufferable nowadays.

1 minute ago, Durckad said:

When have discussions about Star Wars been anything other than civil?

I'm hoping this is sarcasm.

2 minutes ago, Durckad said:

Besides, in a discussion about cancel culture, this should be one of the primary examples that cancelling is something the right-wing attempts to employ, considering the level of hate and vitriol leveled at some of its stars and creators over the past five years.

...ugh.  Yeah, fair enough.  I just hate doing another iteration of the same damn stupid argument.  Go to the top of the board for that.

2 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

There was a large effort to cancel Kelly Marie Tran. It might have been partially successful, in that it might have had an effect on decisions made for the next movie.

And there was the James Gunn thing. 

Did you read the (dozens of) James Gunn tweets?! Rape apologia, pedophilia apologia, homophobia, hate for the mentally disabled, antisemitism- the whole fucking gamut. As a rape survivor and person of color it really makes me feel less safe in this country that people don’t find that stuff offensive enough to want someone else to direct their children’s’ movies.

its really inconceivable to compare him to Kelly Marie Tran, who didn’t really do anything other than play a character the bro-sphere (Which James Gunn was trying to court when writing all those awful things) didn’t like.

2 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Did you read the (dozens of) James Gunn tweets?! Rape apologia, pedophilia apologia, homophobia, hate for the mentally disabled, antisemitism- the whole fucking gamut. As a rape survivor and person of color it really makes me feel less safe in this country that people don’t find that stuff offensive enough to want someone else to direct their children’s’ movies.

its really inconceivable to compare him to Kelly Marie Tran, who didn’t really do anything other than play a character the bro-sphere (Which James Gunn was trying to court when writing all those awful things) didn’t like.

I didn't compare them. I brought them up as 2 people that were "cancelled."

1 minute ago, Martell Spy said:

I didn't compare them. I brought them up as 2 people that were "cancelled."

I don’t know that Gunn was cancelled as he still gets to Scrooge McDuck it into his vault full of money from still getting to do everything he was slated to do. Tran was harassed with misogyny and racism until she left social media and was all but written out of the Rise of Skywalker. James Gunn had to read some bad press for a second and that was about it. The difference was one was a powerful white guy and one was a not powerful not white not guy. 

Well, Gunn apologized many times for those tweets before they were dug up, though I do agree they were foul. I’d like to believe he’s legit changed and grown as a person per what people who worked with him have said. But I think the point was not that he says them but that were dragged out to light by the guy who literally started pizza gate as retribution for both things Gunn said about trump and for Rosanne getting fired.

1 minute ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I don’t know that Gunn was cancelled as he still gets to Scrooge McDuck it into his vault full of money from still getting to do everything he was slated to do. Tran was harassed with misogyny and racism until she left social media and was all but written out of the Rise of Skywalker. James Gunn had to read some bad press for a second and that was about it. The difference was one was a powerful white guy and one was a not powerful not white not guy. 

Yeah sadly true. I thought Gunn handled it well though, he apologized, said the stuff he said was gross and that he’s grown, and never once complained or insulted Disney.

The Rose Tico stuff is way way way more horrible for many different reasons, though there is still rumor she may get her own show. 

4 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Also don’t know if you can say Gunn was cancelled. He got rehired.

Yeah, neither of these cases I brought up are perfect cancellations. None the less, they were attempted cancellations. The Pizzagate guy tried to take down Gunn, and apparently failed, but it appeared successful for a while. 

And a right-wing mob tried to take down Tran. 

I was pissed by both cases, as people were fucking my content.  We will probably never know how great a Finn/Rose series could have been, as John Boyega apparently has left Star Wars behind in his career.

Archived