"Cancel Culture" 3

DMC

13 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

It’s pretty easy to imagine how “great” that would have been.

Uh, yeah, while things like show-runner and writers matter, I like the characters and it would be a great basis for a show. Maybe you prefer the old Star Wars universe though, where there was only one black person in the entire galaxy.

‘SNL': Donald Glover’s Lando Calrissian Addresses All Four Black People in ‘Star Wars’ (Video)

https://www.thewrap.com/snl-donald-glover-lando-calrissian-addresses-four-black-people-star-wars-video/

7 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Uh, yeah, while things like show-runner and writers matter, I like the characters and it would be a great basis for a show. Maybe you prefer the old Star Wars universe though, where there was only one black person in the entire galaxy.

‘SNL': Donald Glover’s Lando Calrissian Addresses All Four Black People in ‘Star Wars’ (Video)

https://www.thewrap.com/snl-donald-glover-lando-calrissian-addresses-four-black-people-star-wars-video/

Roses character gets a lot of hate... because she’s a terrible terrible character, in the weakest storyline of a bad Star Wars movie. 

Finn could have been the most interesting character in the new sequels but ended up being butchered and turned into a clownish sideshow. 

None of which has anything to do with their race. 

Anyway this is moving well away from the topic, and is old ground. But I think again this all goes back to the main problem with this discussion in that there doesn’t seem to be a good definition of what ‘cancel culture’ is. 

Subjective assessment of the character aside, there is just a teeny tiny difference between hating a character and harassing the actress that played them. But nice false equivalence.

1 minute ago, Darth Richard II said:

Rose is actually quite a popular character among the normal fandom, got a standing ovation at SWC a few years ago and had fans constantly nagging him about when we would she her in a trailer.

Star Wars fan’s would cheer and clap a ham sandwich if it had a Star Wars logo on it.

Tran did some great voice acting (main character) for Passenger List. I hope she gets more work and isn't completely turned off of acting by everything she experienced.

Dismissing the hate and abuse she got as "well the character sucked" is ridiculous. There's a difference between not liking a character and a massive movement of bullying driving someone off of social media and out of one of the biggest movie franchises out there because she dared be a female POC in the dudebro's precious childhood white male fantasy. 

1 minute ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Tran did some great voice acting for Passenger List. 

Dismissing the hate and abuse she got as "well the character sucked" is ridiculous. There's a difference between not liking a character and a massive movement of bullying driving someone off of social media and out of one of the biggest movie franchises out there because she dared be a female POC in the dudebro's precious childhood white male fantasy. 

Not dismissing the bullying. It’s disgusting. Shouldn’t have happened.

But what is ridiculous is that the hatred towards her character is labelled as being because she ‘dared to be a female POC’ in a SW movie, which is a total mischaracterisation of the argument.

Rogue one isn’t getting a lot of hatred because it’s a good movie that respects the brand and the fans, and happens to have an extremely diverse cast.

I think she gets most of the hatred because she’s at the centre of everything bad in that movie.

35 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

she’s at the centre of everything bad in that movie

There's other badness in that movie that has nothing to do with the character or actress. Lets not overstate things.

it’s a good movie that respects the brand and the fans,

but there's no pure criterion that can serve as a basis for this judgment?  similarly, in my estimation, episode VIII is to be preferred over the other numbered films precisely because it breaks with the insipid, aesthetically conservative, politically retrograde foundations of the overall narrative. 

3 hours ago, TrackerNeil said:

Hey, this is interesting, thanks. I might submit an entry for Adria Richards; her story IMO demonstrates just how bananas canceling can be--and how it can turn on you.

The Adria Richards story is an interesting one and I remember getting into heated debates about it at the time it happened. She tried to get some bros making dongle jokes in trouble by photographing them and tweeting a picture, the guys got fired, and the Internet snapped back on her. At the time I was closer to being a techbro and had made plenty of dongle jokes at work myself. I've gotten more liberal since then but I still think it was a bad idea for her to tweet the picture of the jokey bros.

As for this cancelled people database, it's interesting but I'm already detecting an editorial bent to the descriptions, and some things left out of cases I'm familiar with that minimize the transgressions of the people who got cancelled.

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Seconded on this being interesting and thanks.  Looks like a well organized and diligent list.  Will dig in later when I actually wake up.

I had not heard about Aleksander Katai. Let go from the LA Galaxy not because of anything he did or said, but because his wife posted racist, violent stuff which he denounced when asked. 

Gary Garrels is a sad one, basically dubbed a white supremacist for saying SF's MoMA would continue to collect white artists as a bit of a lighthearted aside at the end of a meeting about expanding their collection of female, PoC, and LGBTQ artists (an expansion he had championed and which was funded from the proceeds of the auction -- for which he had advocated -- of a minor Rothko painting.) 

9 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Tran did some great voice acting (main character) for Passenger List. I hope she gets more work and isn't completely turned off of acting by everything she experienced.

I dispute Rose being a sucky character. However, even if someone dislikes the character, the campaign against her was extraordinary, especially when you consider that she wasn't even one of the big 3 main heroes of the trilogy. 

Now, if there is someone that deserves a vicious campaign like that, it is Christian Bale and Sam Worthington for Terminator Salvation.

8 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

I dispute Rose being a sucky character. However, even if someone dislikes the character, the campaign against her was extraordinary, especially when you consider that she wasn't even one of the big 3 main heroes of the trilogy. 

Now, if there is someone that deserves a vicious campaign like that, it is Christian Bale and Sam Worthington for Terminator Salvation.

Bit odd to call out Bale and Worthington when we’ve just been tormented by 2 more awful chapters in the franchise since, both of which managed to lower the bar of just how bad a Terminator movie can be.

Super off topic btw.

Archived