Arya Stark: Mindless Psycho Killer or Righteous Avenger?

TheLastWolf

1 minute ago, TheLastWolf said:

Nice choice of words. Indian and not Hindi. Because there were Tamil, Malayalam and Sanskrit words too. Root words. Aryan and Dravidian. Circumstantial knowledge on my part. Even I, the India expert, didn't pick on the goddesses. Kudos. Seems like you have been following my work for quite a while. 

I don't actually know the languages. Just attractive mysterious nature and exotic agelessness. Rich Literature. It's a very difficult parallel anyway. And I literally follow you,in case you haven't noticed

Just now, Thor Stark said:

I don't actually know the languages. Just attractive mysterious nature and exotic agelessness. Rich Literature. It's a very difficult parallel anyway. And I literally follow you,in case you haven't noticed

Oops. Sry. My bad. Your avatar change confused me. It was CR7 IIRC? Now Ned ig. Cleaning Ice in the gods wood pool? 

Just now, TheLastWolf said:

Oops. Sry. My bad. Your avatar change confused me. It was CR7 IIRC? Now Ned ig. Cleaning Ice in the gods wood pool? 

Yes, Yeah and Yep :D

And your Joan of Arc parallel doesn't work since Arya would have to die then. But George promised Parris...

On 11/12/2020 at 9:13 PM, Ibbison from Ibben said:

In the past on this board, many have created threads that compare ASOIAF characters to classical Greek mythological figures. Arya invariably ends up being equated to Artemis, the Virgin Huntress, despite the fact that she isn't a huntress (that's Meera) and the only reason she is a virgin is because she is prepubescent.

Arya is remarkably similar to a Fury, the embodiment of righteous revenge. And since everyone reading this is familiar with Aeschylus's "Oresteia", we all know how that ends up. Right?

Actually, GRRM piled Arya's arc with hints of her having the role of a Valkyrie - cupbearer and chooser who wins and loses on battlefields (and thus live and die).

To answer the OP: Arya's neither vigilante nor psychopath... she's a Valkyrie, a divinely inspired chooser of the slain ;)

3 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

o answer the OP: Arya's neither vigilante nor psychopath... she's a Valkyrie, a divinely inspired chooser of the slain

It is likely the First was in fact a woman, while women are rare in the order. With Arya ticking off so many Valkyrie features, I think the FM have a prophecy regarding a girl-child to be the FIrst Born Again who strongly knows the will of the Many Faced God, and want her as the god's voice to guide them against the foes who would destroy humanity and defy the natural order of life and death, for she will intuitively know which deaths and which sacrifices would please the Many Faced God.

I like this a lot. :D

I also think Arya was marked or chosen or promised to the Faceless Men: 

A Game of Thrones - Arya I

Nymeria nipped eagerly at her hand as Arya untied her. She had yellow eyes. When they caught the sunlight, they gleamed like two golden coins. Arya had named her after the warrior queen of the Rhoyne, who had led her people across the narrow sea. That had been a great scandal too. Sansa, of course, had named her pup "Lady." Arya made a face and hugged the wolfling tight. Nymeria licked her ear, and she giggled.

Still some comments about some of the things mentioned. 

• Her priorities are defend the pack and survive. She never actively sought to kill anyone until Braavos. Think back at the crossroads Inn. Arya wanted to leave. It was Sandor who wanted the fight and basically suicide by two hardened killers with a ten-year old in tow. 
  • Her list is about her powerlessness to defend her pack and subsequent submission or flight. She feels responsible for Mycah's death, she guilty that she fled the scene of her father's execution, the Mountain killed and captured her and turned her into a sheep, Weese turned her into mouse and at the Twins after trying to enter she run again from the Hound. 
  • That is why she joined the FM. Jaqen is the guy she knew who the monsters feared. She wants to exorcise her fear and guilt and the prayer is a checklist in that regard and not the end in itself. 
  • Her theme is death. Both the raw reality as well as the experience. The horror, the regret, the guilt, the sheer terror of it. That Martin chose one of the most vulnerable characters increases the impact that much more. 
  • Her moral code is that what she has picked up by her environment taken to its logical conclusion by a 10 year old left to fend for herself in a war zone. Nothing more, nothing less. 
  • Her role is more likely to be psychopomp and necromancer more than assassin. 
  • There is one obvious reason why the House of Black and White are interested in her. She is Arya of house Stark and valuable politically. If it were only that they would just stash her with a noble. But I certainly plays a part. 

Archived