Why Euron Greyjoy Is Mad?

His madness could be caused by his tendency to flirt with magic. Or I suspect that it would impossible to use magic without paying some kind of price like mental maladjustment.

Another thing is that mages or witches seem to be special people and so it is also a possibility that only already mad people could have access to magic.

9 hours ago, Loose Bolt said:

His madness could be caused by his tendency to flirt with magic. Or I suspect that it would impossible to use magic without paying some kind of price like mental maladjustment.

Another thing is that mages or witches seem to be special people and so it is also a possibility that only already mad people could have access to magic.

Where did Euron get those magical abilities? He has to be born with the right amount of genetics. Maybe Greyjoys have Targaryen and Stark blood? 

15 hours ago, sexyprinceviserys said:

Where did Euron get those magical abilities? He has to be born with the right amount of genetics. Maybe Greyjoys have Targaryen and Stark blood? 

Actually author of the AsoIaF has not told us how people gain their magical abilities in Planetos. But at least some people seem to believe that certain sacrifices might help people gaining some supernatural powers. So Euron could have tried that method. Or he simply has sacrificed blood and souls to many supernatural beings. Naturally it is also possible that he simply is so mad that he could ignore normal laws of nature.

However I am almost certain that Euron does not have any Stark of Targ blood. So his any inherited magical abilities would have to have different origin.

As others have said he flirts with magic, drinks shade of evening, visits possibly Valyria which all could take toil on persons sanity, culture and upbringing and occupation as pirate would make him also more cruel.

Though most of it is probably his character from beginning, he may have been a damaged Warg, who failed Bloodraven, judging him a bad seed and dreams in his youth affected him so that he continues chasing empowerment offered through them. 

Euron stood by the window, drinking from a silver cup. He wore the sable cloak he took from Blacktyde, his red leather eye patch, and nothing else. "When I was a boy, I dreamt that I could fly," he announced. "When I woke, I couldn't . . . or so the maester said. But what if he lied?" 

Euron turned to face him, his bruised blue lips curled in a half smile. "Perhaps we can fly. All of us. How will we ever know unless we leap from some tall tower?" The wind came gusting through the window and stirred his sable cloak. There was something obscene and disturbing about his nakedness. "No man ever truly knows what he can do unless he dares to leap."

"The choice is yours, brother. Live a thrall or die a king. Do you dare to fly? Unless you take the leap, you'll never know."

In vision we see many dreamers don't succeed:

"Bran looked at the crow on his shoulder, and the crow looked back. It had three eyes, and the third eye was full of a terrible knowledge. Bran looked down. There was nothing below him now but snow and cold and death, a frozen wasteland where jagged blue-white spires of ice waited to embrace him. They flew up at him like spears. He saw the bones of a thousand other dreamers impaled upon their points. He was desperately afraid."

• 1 month later...

Personally I think Euron might be suffering from bipolar disorder.

One moment he can have a decent conversation, the next he's a madman.

People in Planetos just don't know about bipolar to have a name for it, so they use their umbrella term for anyone that doesn't fit their norm.

Archived