U.S. Politics: End Testing, Make Schools Safe Again!

Jace, Extat

It's nothing new for me to be almost frothing at the mouth by now for football. In fact, I'm usually hitting peak preseason fever around this time of year. But now there's something else happening at the start of September that may actually have eclipsed my football lust. 

I close my eyes and I see slack jawed hillbillies moaning at the death of their loved one, unable to reconcile that their kid brought the virus home that did the deed. It's not just the immediate effects of sick or dead people, think about the baked-in resentment a newly single Republican parent will have for their children after such an occurrence. Not only for killing their spouse, but for failing to prove Trump correct. That's long term family trauma. I can't wait for the documentaries about these exact situations in 5 years.

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

It's nothing new for me to be almost frothing at the mouth by now for football. In fact, I'm usually hitting peak preseason fever around this time of year. But now there's something else happening at the start of September that may actually have eclipsed my football lust. 

I close my eyes and I see slack jawed hillbillies moaning at the death of their loved one, unable to reconcile that their kid brought the virus home that did the deed. It's not just the immediate effects of sick or dead people, think about the baked-in resentment a newly single Republican parent will have for their children after such an occurrence. Not only for killing their spouse, but for failing to prove Trump correct. That's long term family trauma. I can't wait for the documentaries about these exact situations in 5 years.

Seems to be a pretty good read on the state of affairs, considering I both almost laughed and almost cried while reading your post.

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

They will blame it on Obama, Dr. Fauci, and the Deep State, in that order. 

9 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Seems to be a pretty good read on the state of affairs, considering I both almost laughed and almost cried while reading your post.

That would suggest our resident medical professional might have a bit of dark tongue and cheek bedside manner. 

Just now, Martell Spy said:

They will blame it on Obama, Dr. Fauci, and the Deep State, in that order. 

Psh, the anti-Christian, lesbian, feminist Nazis still get blamed first. Especially if they have black or brown skin and are speaking Mexican to one another. 

Okay, we are finally down to the home stretch. 100 days until the election.

What's the most plausible October surprise you can imagine? Bonus points for bigger surprises, but you'll have to work harder to explain how it remains plausible.

Here's mine: we will get a leaked recording of a high-level administration official arguing that opening up faster will increase Trump's chances of winning because the virus is affecting PoCs far more than Trump's base. The rationale behind the leak is that rats always abandon a sinking ship, and someone doesn't want to go down in history as a total pariah.

1 minute ago, The Great Unwashed said:

What's the most plausible October surprise you can imagine? Bonus points for bigger surprises, but you'll have to work harder to explain how it remains plausible.

Here's mine: we will get a leaked recording of a high-level administration official arguing that opening up faster will increase Trump's chances of winning because the virus is affecting PoCs far more than Trump's base. The rationale behind the leak is that rats always abandon a sinking ship, and someone doesn't want to go down in history as a total pariah.

We’re fairly late in the game. 

They’d be a what? 90-95% pariah?

2 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

We’re fairly late in the game. 

They’d be a what? 90-95% pariah?

Well, apparently that's perfectly fine to get you a cushy Fox News gig these days, so that tracks.

4 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I’ve noticed a few about faces this week for 45, we have him wearing a mask in public, saying some schools may not be able to safely reopen, and showing support for some level of continued enhancement for unemployment benefits. The campaign must have some really bad internal polling numbers

The publicly available polling numbers are a disaster. However, his inability to have the rallies he loves may actually be governing his behavior more than the possibility that he's facing a wipe out in a few months. 

But then again, either of our thoughts assumes he still has some semblance of sanity, which is a risky bet.

Now, @Ran , I will go and watch The English Patient because it's on HBO. And JFC, if it's as bad as I've heard, one day in the future you will have to babysit my hypothetical children for  at least 161 minutes. 

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Now, @Ran , I will go and watch The English Patient because it's on HBO. And JFC, if it's as bad as I've heard, one day in the future you will have to babysit my hypothetical children for  at least 161 minutes. 

I'm watching Spotlight; better movie imo, shorter runtime.

ETA: Besides - The English Patient? Why do you hate freedumb??? 

2 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Go read the movie and T.V. thread. In what world does a person get criticized for giving hot takes on something they haven't actually seen? That takes away >95% of the conversations involving, politics, movies and sports, not to mention all the other artistic mediums.  

21 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

ETA: Besides - The English Patient? Why do you hate freedumb??? 

I offer Little Miss Sunshine.

I win.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Two words: Jack's Pizza.

Was that the one with the Clinton pedophile ring in the basement?

33 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Trump has his log awaited fatal cardiac event two weeks before the election.  Conservatives immediately deem it an assassination and within hours (minutes) there are videos circulating on the net showing Hilary Clinton cackling with glee as she drops something in (Trumps) water glass.  Said video is immediately taken as ironclad proof that Clinton is responsible.

44 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Which side?

A foreign nation drops something damaging on Biden. (Trump having set this up and he has already been cleared to engage in this behavior by the Senate) The Saudis maybe, if they are willing to make such a large gamble.

New York state charges Trump, releases damaging tax information, or both.

And just for laughs, Comey writes a letter about Biden's email practices.

2 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Which side?

A foreign nation drops something damaging on Biden. (Trump having set this up and he has already been cleared to engage in this behavior by the Senate) The Saudis maybe, if they are willing to make such a large gamble.

New York state charges Trump, releases damaging tax information, or both.

And just for laughs, Comey writes a letter about Biden's email practices.

Can be on either side.

Other than health emergencies for either of the two candidates, or the breakout of a real total war, I don't see an "October Surprise" that will make a difference at this point - either way.  It's all down to whether Trump can steal it.  If the election resembles anything close to the standard presidential general electorate, he's cooked.

1 minute ago, A True Kaniggit said:

REAL American’s have no idea what Jack’s pizza is. 

I used to order from a Jack's pizza down the block.

Archived