Football: Calling Dr. Rashford. European Cup, transfer shenanigans

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

Arsenal really need to tie Ceballos down permanently or have a proper plan for a replacement, coz he's been key to Artetaball.

At the very least, it looks like the loan will be extended another year. 

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Yea, he hasn't been very good. Glad to see Saliba in training. 

His decision making has been good, but his fitness doesn't seem to be there. Hoping he comes back strong next season cause we'll need him.

That really sucks about Pulisic. I guess Chelsea wasn't coming back against Bayern anyways but it would have been fun to see him out there. 

Maybe the silver lining is he's be slow to come back and stay off the USMNT and Berhalter will get fired after a few losses. Barron Trump probably would have been a better choice than MLS Greg, at least he knows about European football.

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

Arsenal really need to tie Ceballos down permanently or have a proper plan for a replacement, coz he's been key to Artetaball.

I'm sure they will reach an agreement with Real Madrid. Zidane doesn't rate Ceballos so Real will want to offload him.

This game showcased Lampard's weakness at organising a defence (or even recognising a defensive issue). Arteta's game plan really exposed Chelsea's right hand side and there were so many instances where Aubameyang was in acres of space. Lampard did precisely nothing to counter that all game. 

28 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

That really sucks about Pulisic. I guess Chelsea wasn't coming back against Bayern anyways but it would have been fun to see him out there. 

Maybe the silver lining is he's be slow to come back and stay off the USMNT and Berhalter will get fired after a few losses. Barron Trump probably would have been a better choice than MLS Greg, at least he knows about European football.

You are aware Berhalter spent a part of his playing career in Germany?

4 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

You are aware Berhalter spent a part of his playing career in Germany?

He spent almost all his playing career in Europe tbf. Six years in the Netherlands, seven in Germany, one interim year at Crystal Palace.

41 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

He spent almost all his playing career in Europe tbf. Six years in the Netherlands, seven in Germany, one interim year at Crystal Palace.

Yeah, I remember him playing for Cottbus and 1860 I think. That's why I found that statement of Berhalter being oblivious to football being played outside the MLS so weird.

He may have played there but Berhalter will only play a Euro based player as a last resort or if they are truly top level talent like CP. He's atrocious and got the job through typical MLS / US Soccer self-dealing, not on merit.

No tactics, no eye for talent, zero interest in trying to get Latino talent on the team - he's Don Garber's bitch and any success the team has will be in spite of, not due to him. Reyna and Pulisic if healthy could probably get the US to the World Cup (with what 96 teams now?) with my mom coaching them. 

Reyna is merely 17 y.o. and just came off his first senior season, he has played less than 20 games. He will get into the USMNT eventually, but letting him take his first steps and trying to establish himself at that level, before calling him up doesn't strike me as totally outlandish. I am assuming we are talking about Gio(vanni) Reyna btw., or did you have somebody else in mind?

Tyler Adams is imo closer to getting called up, but he has struggled with injuries. So that was not really down Berhalter being ignorant.

As mentioned before, Pulisic's performances during the 18/19 season were simply not good - despite his exceptional talent. I don't hold a particularly strong opinion on Berhalter as a coach/manager. But I don't think he has totally mismanaged Pulisic or Reyna.

On a related note, I find it funny that Berhalter is getting hammered over being to MLS centered, while Klinsmann got stick over talking foreign trained into US passports (likesay Brooks).

On a sidenote, I just had to check whether Giovanni's dad (Claudio) and Berhalter played against each other in Germany. As I could remember Claudio playing for Wolfsburg, but they missed each other by a few years, as the latter had already left for a rather upleasent club in Scotland. Anyway, I think Berhalter is aware of the existence of the son of his old teammate from USMNT.

Well done to Arsenal.  They salvaged something from this season, qualified for EL and got some revenge for the EL final last year.

That new Liverpool shirt is pretty blah.  The teal green stripe in the trim is a throw-back to the early 90’s shirt as worn by Rush, Fowler and McManaman together.

The Liverpool players are a likable bunch who obviously have fun together doing these skits, but this one for the Nike shirt launch was cringeworthy.  

I really hope Arsenal man up and go after the players they need to support Arteta because he has it. That starts with getting Auba to sign and I think the FA Cup win should solidify that. Lots of Auba/Arteta love on social media today.

Arsenal have won four of the last seven FA  Cups, which has been a pretty incredible source of trophies for a club not challenging particularly for the league or in Europe over that period (EL run last year aside).  Those contrasting situations are not unrelated, obviously. 

Just watched the final now, couldn’t get to it yesterday. What was Aubameyang doing while lifting the cup? Was that some sort of skit?

Pulisic screaming in pain as he took a perfectly decent shot off the back of a bad injury was something to see.

20 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Arsenal have won four of the last seven FA  Cups, which has been a pretty incredible source of trophies for a club not challenging particularly for the league or in Europe over that period (EL run last year aside).  Those contrasting situations are not unrelated, obviously. 

Yes, Arsenal has become a cup side. The success is fantastic, especially considering the gauntlet that has to be run and the level of competition in the later rounds of the FA Cup, but the lack of league or European success or even the semblance of it is disappointing. I'd happily take the FA Cups, but I expect most fans look to them as a stepping stone or something to tide them over until "proper" success returns to the club.

Conte is a nutter. After beating Atalanta, he goes on a meltdown rant attacking Inter's board for not protecting him from media scrutiny and criticism. Also said that he had to jump through hoops to get in his transfer targets. Reports are that there will be crunch talks with Inter's management after the EL and there's a possibility that Conte could walk. Allegri is said to be the top choice to replace him should that happen. 

La Repubblica had also published an article claiming that Conte was in contact with Juve asking about whether Sarri would be sacked. Conte has vehemently denied these allegations and said that he plans to sue the author of the article. 

Conte is being a real drama queen. Facing media scrutiny and criticism is part and parcel of the job and he's not faced even a fraction of the criticism that Sarri has had to put up with. Only Conte will have a total meltdown and attack his own board just after completing the best season Inter have had in 9 years. This guy is more volatile than Mourinho. 

Archived