Football: Calling Dr. Rashford. European Cup, transfer shenanigans

30 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Sure, not trying to blame Ozil for anything, just using him as an example of how little 55 people's wages actually matters as far as players go - if they'd kept the 55 people in employment it would basically make no difference to the playing side of things.

Yeah, I totally agree.

( Though of course, the Ozil situation has basically been a disaster)

But amusing to watch from the outside. It's like those Mourinho meltdowns. You know it's only funny, when it happens to other teams. In the Özil sense, I am also disappointed that United managed to offload Sanchez. Btw. is Mkhitaryan staying at Roma, or will he return to Arsenal?

Marotta has confirmed that Inter have completed the signing of Sánchez. Says that an official statement will be released tomorrow. 

14 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Btw. is Mkhitaryan staying at Roma, or will he return to Arsenal?

I don't recall there being any firm reports. Roma are in limbo at the moment as it looks like there is going to be a change of ownership. Smalling's transfer is on hold as well. 

Some reports today that Dortmund are claiming we've not even been in contact over Sancho, leading me to the baffling situation of actively wanting this to be a reverse/repeat of the Herrera situation where we've been negotiating with a bunch of shysters pretending to be Dortmund because that would be far less stupid than not having made any kind of attempt to sign him at all.

The report that no contact has been made comes from a German newspaper (Süddeutsche Zeitung). The newspaper reports that Watzke told them that there has been no contact at all even through intermediaries. Dortmund officials issuing denials is not new though. Zorc was denying any contact with Barca for the Dembele transfer (contrary to every reliable report at the time) and a few days later Dembele was a Barca player.

It doesn't look like a deal is close at all unfortunately. All the reliable journos for United (Stone, Peach, Ducker, Ornstein) came out last night with a report that the two clubs are far apart in valuation. I hope that we have alternatives lined up. Sancho is quality but if Dortmund aren't willing to compromise and United don't have the usual budget available due to losses as a result of the pandemic then we need to move on quickly. Other areas of the squad need strengthening too so we cannot afford to get bogged down on this one transfer. 

Guardiola has confirmed that Eric Garcia has rejected a contract extension at City (his contract ends next June). Reports are that Barca are interested. Sam Lee reported in The Athletic that Koulibaly is the top target with Sevilla's Diego Carlos an alternative. Also mentioned that Stones and Otamendi are not in Guardiola's plans. 

22 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Starting to look like the speculation that Sanllehi and Edu are dismantling the club's scouting structure in order to implement agent-led recruitment might actually be true. Apparently Kia Joorabchian is going to have a lot of influence on Arsenal's recruitment which is why you guys have been so strongly linked with moves for Willian and Coutinho. 

Yup. Not sure this is really Edu's doing but Sanllehi's. Not a fan of this at all. I hate the agent driven approach though we all knew this was going to happen the minute Sanllehi was hired.

Liverpool Tiago saga is rumoredly stalling, because FSG haven't given LFC money to play with. So they'd have to sell to generate the transfer fees (Keita's name popped up) for the more interesting players. That would be absolute insanity on Liverpool's part imo. But okay.

If it didn't sound so inappropriate, I'd say I was mildly interested whether Woody would cough up the money or not. But right now, I don't think he will.

Roma confirm that an agreement has been reached for the sale of the club to Dan Friedkin in a deal worth €591m. The sale is expected to be finalised by the end of this month. 

With the ownership situation sorted, Roma might make another attempt to sign Smalling on a permanent basis. Reports said United were looking for around €20m. Not a bad fee for a player who was hand's down Roma's best defender this past season. There have been reports that Roma were negotiating with Vertonghen as well though. Solskjaer has also intimated in an interview a couple of days ago that he'd be happy for Smalling to remain at United. 

ETA.

Ah reminds me. Silly German-Italian transfer tale of  contracts and release clauses.

Kaan Ayhan got relegated from the Bundesliga with Düsseldorf this season.

According to his contract, there are to release fee clause. He could leave for a fee of 2m € in case of relegation, or for 6m had they stayed up.  Kaan announced last Friday his transfer to Sassuolo. So far, so good. Now comes the kicker.

The fee had to deposited by July 31st.

Düsseldorf now claim, nope, didn't happen. Thus the clause is void, and the fee is up for negotiations. Now it-äs work for the lawyers.

In other news.

Max Kruse chose ot to return to Werder, and is instead joining Union Berlin.

Werder are linked to United's Chong for a loan.

And Schalke are rumoredly interested in Ulreich as a consolation prize after the Schwolow deal didn't materialize.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

Yup. Not sure this is really Edu's doing but Sanllehi's. Not a fan of this at all. I hate the agent driven approach though we all knew this was going to happen the minute Sanllehi was hired.

Why would an owner even keep someone in charge who quite literally and openly puts the interests of the club second?

I mean the asnwer is that the owners don't care about football but even still -he's about making someone else money ahead of them, too, they should care about that.

2 hours ago, Vaughn said:

Does the German ownership structure reduce the amount of fuckery or not really because those public ownership elements don't actually have any power (see Packers, Green Bay)?

Depends. The board traditionally gets elected by club members at a conference. DOF is a hired position. So a board pulling something like that wouldn't last long, and would face votes of no confidence rather quick. I am basically also eligible to vote for or against the board at my club.

However, I can easily name a few clubs, who have become too dependent on one sponsor or where a  sugar daddy (1860, H$V, and to a lesser degree Hannover where there's a pushback by fans against Martin Kindt going on for a few years) is basically calling the shots, which has been rather destructive.

Our dearest neighbour over at the H$V are really a cautionary tale of a bilionaire of adavanced age using it as some kinda vanity project. Where he threw money in, wanted/got shares in return, and has been heckling from the sidelines calling a director of football as third tier director, and basically demanded the firing of either manager or director of football every 10 months or so in a very Trumpian fashion. Pointing at the money he has given/invested into the club and demanding better results form the losers on the pitch. It's been highly entertaining for those not supporting them.

1860 is kinda sad story, of a little working class club in Munich deluding itself to have the same pull and strength as their neighbours (Bayern), thus building a for them oversized arena together with Bayern, to then fall to relegation, and failing to get promoted for a few years, with the money from the arena being a millstone around their neck, being bought out of their arena shares, but still being stuck their as tennants, with Bayern bleeding them dry, and them eventually turning to some Jordan investor, displaying similar traits as the our dearest neighbours sugar daddy. Resulting in them dropping another time, and not being able to afford the license for third tier football. It was really sad. And he really has them on life support, and his deluded hirings were a major contributor.

I've left out Hoffenheim (Dietmar Hopp, SAP) out of those crazed sugar daddies, because he is not crazy, and has stayed away from interfering with the day-to-day business of the actual footballing side of things.

Leipzig is just shit, not even bothering with the Red Bull model. Fuck Mateschitz btw.

Another curious and sad case is TeBe Berlin. Club with a tradition and a left/liberal fan scene, and their club has been taken hostage by a total bell end of a sponsor. He got himself elected on the board, and the fans finally had it (I think it was him removing CSD flags or someting like that), and wanted to vote him out. That guy is running a temp work comapny, so a bunch of Bulgarians, who didn't really speak German and didn't know nor care for the club (not blaming them) became members, and thus he literally had his employees on the clock to vote for him.  Of course, that wouldn't work with bigger clubs, with more members. Not sure, whether they were able to get their club back. Probably should check.

Anyway, the German model is also not homogenous. Up to 49% of club shares can be sold. My club hasn't sold any shares (ok, we haven't also sold naming right to our stadium).

While Borussia Dortmund has shares on the Stock Exchange. And Bayern has sold shares to Adidas, and Leverkusen (Bayer) and Wolfsburg (Volkswagen) are basically the football department of companies.

17 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Roma confirm that an agreement has been reached for the sale of the club to Dan Friedkin in a deal worth €591m. The sale is expected to be finalised by the end of this month. 

I hope they still sell Zaniolo to Juventus.

Archived