Football: Calling Dr. Rashford. European Cup, transfer shenanigans

8 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Bayern might fancy themselves to score a few goals against City too.

I'm sure they will but City have more pace up front than Barca do and KdB to feed those players from midfield. The game certainly has the potential to be top entertainment and full of goals. Dodgy defending and suicidal high lines make for better viewing than parking the bus.

haha. Barca are getting reamed right now. Bayern look like they are going to score with every attack. This could get very ugly. Setien probably getting sacked in the morning. 

7 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I'm sure they will but City have more pace up front than Barca do and KdB to feed those players from midfield. The game certainly has the potential to be top entertainment and full of goals. Dodgy defending and suicidal high lines make for better viewing than parking the bus.

haha. Barca are getting reamed right now. Bayern look like they are going to score with every attack. This could get very ugly. Setien probably getting sacked in the morning. 

That, and Ederson has had a damn good season with City, I don't see him do so many mistakes as ter Stegen has done so far. It's like I'm watching Keppa.

3 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

How have Barcelona become this bad outside of Messi with all the money they've spent? Their transfer policy since they signed Suarez has been an absolute disaster.

Yep. Bartomeu's leadership has been rubbish. Their midfield is not good enough and can neither handle a press nor press effectively themselves anymore. Even Busquets has declined a lot. He just doesn't have the legs anymore to cope with well coordinated pressing from a mobile midfield. Messi has to drop ever deeper to be involved in the game as Barca's midfield are a lot more susceptible to being overrun. 

4 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

That, and Ederson has had a damn good season with City, I don't see him do so many mistakes as ter Stegen has done so far. It's like I'm watching Keppa.

Ter Stegen has been below his usual standards. I rate him above Ederson though. 

This Barca teams is simply past its prime. It's a effectively a two men team right now.

Ter Stegen in goal (who was Barca's fans' choice as their player of the season) and Messi up front.

They really need to start a global rebuild badly. Who would you really want to keep from this lot and play for two or more seasons?

Messi, who is still great despite his age. Ter Stegen, de Jong, Umtiti (if he is not injured).

The backbone of Pique and Busquets has been in need of being phased out for a while. But that's kinda the problem, pushing out such iconic players out the door is not easy. So you hope for them to hang up their boots and free wages before they get really bad.

5 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Umtiti (if he is not injured).

Umtiti is finished. Lenglet is better than him. Barca are desperately trying to get rid of Umtiti but nobody wants him because of his wages and crocked knees. He's also been refusing to undergo surgery. 

15 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

The backbone of Pique and Busquets has been in need of being phased out for a while. But that's kinda the problem, pushing out such iconic players out the door is not easy. So you hope for them to hang up their boots and free wages before they get really bad.

In fairness De Jong at Ajax looked like a pretty much no brainer replacement for Busquets. They just seem to have managed his integration into the side terribly. There's still time for that transfer to work out I suppose.

Suarez is still quite good at football.

ETA: Alphonso Davies isn't bad at football either.

Yes, with de Jong I stick with the assessment, that he is a class player, that's still being hidden somewhere inside of him. However, I think, he is no replacement for Busquets. They need something more workhorseish to replace him. Fabinho, Kante. That's the kinda player you want to replace him with.

6 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

De Jong isn't a replacement for Biscuits because they're playing him alongside the fucker while the ship is sinking.

De Jong's best position is as the deepest midfielder though. He should have been a replacement for Busquets but they play together because Barca's midfield options are shit. Just look at their bench. The midfield options are Rakitic (whose decline is even worse than Busquets), Reis, Puig and Monchu. 

Archived