Football: Calling Dr. Rashford. European Cup, transfer shenanigans

25 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I do. I find it to be unprofessional and it looks especially bad when your captain and talisman looks like he couldn't be arsed. It's fine if you and others are cool about ignoring it though.

Why? For most positions, it's not a two way sport. If the defense falls apart that quickly and gives up so many goals early in the match, do you really expect any forward to stay engaged? It was 4-1 at halftime. No one comes back from that when they're by far the weaker side.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Why? For most positions, it's not a two way sport. If the defense falls apart that quickly and gives up so many goals early in the match, do you really expect any forward to stay engaged? It was 4-1 at halftime. No one comes back from that when they're by far the weaker side.

Yes I do. It's called being professional. 

3 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Yes I do. It's called being professional. 

Professional just means you get paid for your work, and most professionals across every field put in little to no effort. Being a highly paid pro athlete doesn't change that.

Forgot to mention: it looks like Dean Henderson might not be heading back to Sheffield United on loan. Bournemouth have accepted an £18.5m bid from SU for Aaron Ramsdale. There were rumours these past few days that United wanted to send Henderson on loan abroad.

Also United have signed a 17y/o (Filip Stevanovic) from Partizan Belgrade. He will remain with Partizan on loan for the upcoming season. 

42 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Forgot to mention: it looks like Dean Henderson might not be heading back to Sheffield United on loan. Bournemouth have accepted an £18.5m bid from SU for Aaron Ramsdale. There were rumours these past few days that United wanted to send Henderson on loan abroad.

Also United have signed a 17y/o (Filip Stevanovic) from Partizan Belgrade. He will remain with Partizan on loan for the upcoming season. 

I wonder how Henderson feels about that? I know he desperately wants to play for United, but if they fuck him around enough that'll eventually change.

United shouldn't really be viewing  Sheffield United as a rival, so no real reason why they couldn't have given him the stability of staying with them another year. Instead he'll end up having to uproot completely and move to another country.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Side note, since Bundesliga is only aired here now and then, is Bayern really this much of a monster? Whenever I do see them or just check the daily scores it seems like they're bashing everyone's heads in.

Yes. Biggest club with the deepest pockets in the land, which translates into the strongest team on the pitch. So they are usually the big favorite to win the domestic titles (league and cup). After they sacked Kovac and placed Flick in charge, that team has been back to performing accordingly. Dortmund is the next strongest club domestically, but they really need a subpar season from Bayern to win the league. Anyway, minimum expectations for Bayern to have had a good season. Win the league (bare minimum requirement), reach the CL semi-final, and win the German Cup (in that order). So if you are Bayern headcoach, and do well in the CL (semi-final+) then a slip up in the cup is forgiveable. Winning the league and the cup, but crashing out of the CL prematurely, you have to answer a few unpleasent questions from the higher ups. You fail to win the league, usually means you are out of the job, unless you lift the CL trophy. Unless there are mitigating circumstances, like the domestic league winner just had a freak season.

39 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I wonder how Henderson feels about that? I know he desperately wants to play for United, but if they fuck him around enough that'll eventually change.

United shouldn't really be viewing  Sheffield United as a rival, so no real reason why they couldn't have given him the stability of staying with them another year. Instead he'll end up having to uproot completely and move to another country.

Not sure why we would have been looking to loan him to a foreign club. Perhaps Sheffield United wanted to make a permanent signing for the position and so were no longer an option for another loan. In any event, Solskjaer has a decision to make by the end of next season. Henderson isn't going to stick around to be a backup. 

Guardiola's gone with a surprisingly conservative looking midfield for a game against Lyon. Fernandinho, Rodri and Gundogan in midfield and De Bruyne off the front or out wide? Classic Champions League knock outs Guardiola tactical twist.

ETA: Heh, he's gone for 3 at the back. Even more of an unexpected tactical twist.

Looks like he's gone with a back three with Walker and Cancelo as wingbacks. Not sure why he's using this formation against Lyon though and it's probably a bad idea to go with a back three and two not-so-good-defensively wingbacks against Bayern. There's already quite a bit of space for Lyon down the sides. 

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Do you give 100% every day at work?

If you work 9 to 5 5 days a week you can be forgiven for coasting if there's some dead time but you'd be expected to give 100% surely when things are actually on the line. If your work consists of 90 minutes at most twice a week then you damn sure should be giving 100% every time, especially if  fans are paying money to pay you hundreds of thousands a week so that can be your job.

4 hours ago, MercenaryChef said:

yes, it was a horrific collapse, but how much can be put at his feet? 

what does everyone expect from even one as great as messi when the opposition is completely ignoring your team's attempts at defense?

Like I said though my point is slightly different from Consigliere, in that yes, on the night he didn't look good, but my real problem is that I believe he's part of the problem in the squad looking like it does right now. Player power has made it hard for Barca to refresh and he's at the center of that.

Archived