Football: Calling Dr. Rashford. European Cup, transfer shenanigans

Sterling had a good game, miss aside.

And it's probably worth bearing in mind how imbecilic fans of all clubs are before making fun of one particular set for an overreaction.

I mean, the LFC subreddit is quite possibly the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen and leaves all other club subbreddits in its wake

City had a relatively easy match-up in the CL quarterfinal, but basically blocked themselves with Pep’s over-thinking again.  Is it still funny or just sad now? 

Sterling is still an erratic finisher, even if he does get 20+ goals a season by making the same late run from wide to tap in a cross.  City need Aguero for the CL knock-out games, but he was injured playing in a meaningless 5-0 PL victory when City had nothing to play for.

I remember being disappointed when City signed Rodri last year.  It seemed like they had found an easy replacement for an aging Fernandinho.  But he hasn’t really done much.  He’s not bad, and City’s problems aren’t his fault, but he didn’t improve City at all. (I hope I haven’t jjust inxed him into a massive improvement next season)  City feel a bit like Barcelona of two years ago: aging stars are hard to fully replace, still have incredible talent and can win their league by picking off cowering opponents, but are increasingly fragile when a good team stands up to them.

I hope Bayern win it.

Keith Downie reporting that Newcastle want to sign Smalling. Roma have made him a priority signing as well. 

ETA. Paul Joyce has reported in The Times that Liverpool have already received almost all of the £145m fee for Coutinho. £108.6m initial payment + £9.05m for Barca's CL progress + £22.6m for Coutinho's 76 appearances. 

We handled Sevilla's pressing a lot better than I thought we would. Just one of those frustrating games really. We were the better side, created more and better chances but we were not clinical enough where it really matters and got punished for it. 

It's infuriating coz normally at least one of the three will have a finishing on-night but this time all three flubbed their lines simultaneously

Also the depth of our bench is embarassing. Okay Solskjaer should have made changes earlier, Ighalo in particular because of the finishing thing, but I almost can't blame him for freezing when his best options are fucking Juan Mata and Danny James.

Disappointed but not surprised. As soon as we stepped back after our penalty, and as we started the 2nd half strong but didn't make it concrete, the end of it was quite predictable.

The positive take-aways, are that we played some lapses of good football, and the team is on holidays, so perhaps our fucking board can be concentrated on landing some attackers.

(that last sentence sounded a bit Arsenalish, though)

Our bench is embarrassing for a club with ambitions to compete at the top end. We have to make at least 3 quality signings this window.

I know there's losses due to the pandemic but if this transfer window is a poor one then we will not finish in the top 4 next season. We were lucky to have finished in the top 4 this season. If not for the 3 month postponement our lack of depth would have seen us finish sixth at best. 

15 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

We handled Sevilla's pressing a lot better than I thought we would.

Fred had a lot to do with this, there were quite a few occasions especially early on when they did break a line with the press but just ran straight into Fred who won it right back and then ran through their counter-counter-press himself. That was a good selection by Ole coz Matic couldn't have done that.

7 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Fred had a lot to do with this, there were quite a few occasions especially early on when they did break a line with the press but just ran straight into Fred who won it right back and then ran through their counter-counter-press himself. That was a good selection by Ole coz Matic couldn't have done that.

Fred has had a good season and improved a lot. Before this season Fred would have been the absolute worst player to have against a team that presses aggressively due to his tendency of dwelling on the ball and getting caught in dangerous positions. 

So how would you rate United’s season?

Finishing 3rd, qualifying for CL and reaching three semi-finals sounds pretty competitive, plus they saw a mid-season signing make a big impact, saw a couple of youth players break into the starting XI (Williams and Greenwood), and saw Fred find his feet after being woefully out of his depth for a long time, plus they added 130m worth of new defenders to the defense which had a pretty respectable number of PL goals conceded, and they cut quite a bit of deadwood from the squad, and saw their two young strikers significantly increase their tallies for the season.

On paper that sounds a lot better than the  lived experience through the season, which was pretty abject much of the time aside from a Bruno-inspired purple patch (which helped those cup runs), some speedy counterattacks and a lot of penalties awarded.  OGS in each season has overseen a long run of very good form, but it almost seems like it happens by chance rather than design, and he has no way to prolong it when the momentum falters.  Plus they spend almost as much as City, with little to show for it.  A tough schedule early in the season added a headwind while things were going badly, but the reverse was an easier schedule late in the season that gave them a tailwind to grab 3rd place.  The league doesn’t lie, as they saying goes, but it shows that United were the 3rd best team while only getting 66 points (which sounds like an Everton-ish kind of haul).

If Mourinho was like Graeme Souness managing Liverpool, then perhaps OGS is like Roy Evans.  Although the Spice Boys were better because they came 2nd in the PL and reached the FA Cup final.

Archived