Football: Calling Dr. Rashford. European Cup, transfer shenanigans

I'm fairly satisfied with our season. As I said, I think the 3 month hiatus helped us massively. Our starting XI were able to come back well rested with Pogba and Rashford fully recovered. I'm quite certain that without the postponement we would have run out of steam. Outside of our starting front 4, our options are really rubbish and clearly nowhere near good enough for a team looking to compete for a CL place. Lingard, Mata, James and Pereira are clearly not good enough and more often than not have absolutely no impact on a game and are merely just making up the numbers. 

Probably dodged a bullet? I know the Barca job is a coveted one but it is a bit of a poisoned chalice right now with a shit board and player power that has reached toxic levels some time ago. The Barca squad is also poorly suited to Poch's aggressive pressing style of play as well. Clearing out the squad is going to be a problem due to wages and the stalwarts wield a lot of power. Given Poch's association with Espanyol and some of the comments he made previously,  I don't think he would have been given the time to rebuild the squad. He really would have needed to hit the ground running immediately otherwise the fans and players were likely to turn on him very quickly. 

Some very concerning reports emerging regarding Valencia. It looks like Peter Lim's running of the club into the ground is almost complete. Reports that Valencia's financial situation is dire and the club cannot pay players. Players were offered IOUs but refused. If an agreement cannot be reached then Valencia will not be allowed to participate in any competition next season. 

One thing last night's game changed my mind on is that I do think we should sign Sarr now. Not as an alternative to Sancho and he certainly shouldn't be the only player we sign but we're so lacking in convincing depth we realistically need to replace every single attacking player that was on the bench (I want Ighalo to get more chances sure but he's leaving at Christmas anyway, the rest are useless). Get Sarr in to replace James, get my lad Buendia in as a Mata with balls and better dribbling skills, sort out the midfield with someone else who can impose themselves (it's like our fifth window being linked with Niguez so maybe we'll get him this time) and then even if we don't get the ideal big star for the right (which we still should go for) we've still got some viable options to switch things up and variations in attack.

With some of the names we're linked with the last couple days - Filip Stevanović of Partizan, Jens Petter Hauge of Glimt though that might just be someone reading too much into the presence of the scout- I'm a little worried the backup plan to Sancho is to buy as many promising-but-not-overly-coveted youngsters as possible on the cheap and hope one of them Greenwoods their way into the squad.

4 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Some very concerning reports emerging regarding Valencia. It looks like Peter Lim's running of the club into the ground is almost complete. Reports that Valencia's financial situation is dire and the club cannot pay players. Players were offered IOUs but refused. If an agreement cannot be reached then Valencia will not be allowed to participate in any competition next season. 

I would guess that’s what helped City to get Ferran Torres at such a low price, even with his contract situation.

It’s a pity for the club.  I don’t want irresponsible owners to be bailed out or insulated from consequences, but there are lots of other people who suffer if a club collapses. 

I'm not sure how much actual long term planning is going into things at Barcelona at the moment with elections coming up, probably not a lot, but they do need someone to be the bad guy and start turfing out a bunch of club legends. Pretty much any manager is on a bit of hiding to nothing at the moment with the rebuild they're going to have to do so I'm not sure how much it really matters who they get in.

A major problem is that this current board indulges players at the expense of the manager. Player power has reached toxic levels and Barca's board are solely responsible for that. Laporta is currently favourite to win the election next year - he was the one who appointed Guardiola and backed a rookie manager to get rid of any player (including the stars like Ronaldinho and Deco) who had become a problem and revamp the team. That is what's needed again.

Barca have sacked Eric Abidal. 

Joe Hart has signed for Spurs.  He can shout and beat his chest on their bench instead of Burnley’s.

Arsenal, with Saliba and Mari already arriving as new CBs, have also made a bid for another CB Gabriel.  They definitely need to strengthen at that position, but bringing in three young CBs with no experience in the PL might not be the best way to transition. 

And NUFC have a new bidder from a Singaporean group.

26 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Unless Spurs sell one of their other keepers, Hart won't even make the bench!

Back-up GK is a great position to contribute toward the homegrown quota for PL and CL squads. 

I assume Vorm is departing if they have signed Hart.

3 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Back-up GK is a great position to contribute toward the homegrown quota for PL and CL squads. 

I assume Vorm is departing if they have signed Hart.

Gazzaniga is their backup these days, and he's much better than Hart. They'd be daft to get rid of him, especially having seen Lloris miss a bunch of games recently through injury.

54 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Arsenal, with Saliba and Mari already arriving as new CBs, have also made a bid for another CB Gabriel.  They definitely need to strengthen at that position, but bringing in three young CBs with no experience in the PL might not be the best way to transition. 

Probably not the ideal but proven Prem CBs are fucking expensive and there aren't that many genuine standouts, taking a gamble for less money on three players gives them more depth and a decent chance of finding a pairing that works whereas buying someone proven is still a gamble, but for more money and with less depth.

Like who would they be buying from within the league? Lewis Dunk is reported to be going for 40mil. West Ham rejected 80mil for Rice, supposedly. 

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Probably not the ideal but proven Prem CBs are fucking expensive and there aren't that many genuine standouts, taking a gamble for less money on three players gives them more depth and a decent chance of finding a pairing that works whereas buying someone proven is still a gamble, but for more money and with less depth.

Pretty much my thoughts.

Archived