Football: Calling Dr. Rashford. European Cup, transfer shenanigans

18 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Plus injuries to Pulisic, Azpi, Willian and Pedro, seriously diminishing our attacking options we'd need in a game to make a miraculous comeback. I'm ready for next season.

I'm still a big noob. This is it for us this season, right, but we still are in the CL for next year?

Also, was Kante hurt a lot of the year? It felt like I never saw him, though I only caught 10-15 matches and they don't air a lot of stuff here unless you pay for it.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm still a big noob. This is it for us this season, right, but we still are in the CL for next year?

Yes. This is the CL season 19-20 being played out to some conclusion now.

Chelsea qualified for the 20-21 CL season, well, is in the qualification round, by finishing fourth in the Premier League.

5 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yes. This is the CL season 19-20 being played out to some conclusion now.

Chelsea qualified for the 20-21 CL season, well, is in the qualification round, by finishing fourth in the Premier League.

Thanks, that's what I thought. 

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, was Kante hurt a lot of the year? It felt like I never saw him, though I only caught 10-15 matches and they don't air a lot of stuff here unless you pay for it.

Yes last game of the 19-20 season for us today. We're in for CL next year which begins in late October. PL starts in just over a month. And yeah, Kante spent more time injured this year than on the pitch, I'd say. Hopefully he's fit for next season cause he truly is one of the best at defensive midfield, and really makes a difference when healthy. He did just crack 30 I believe, so hopefully this past year was just a fluke, and he's fine going forward.

Napoli put up a good fight in the 2nd half. Too bad they just couldn't pull back even one goal. Barca players might have crumbled if Napoli could have gotten to 3-2. 

ETA. Bayern should really curb stomp Barca in the quarters. Outside of the individual brilliance of Messi and Ter Stegen, Barca are inferior to Bayern in every other position. Bayern's suicidal high line can get them into trouble now and again but that should be mitigated against Barca as Messi, Suarez and Griezmann aren't speedsters. 

ETA 2. It's also a real shame that the Ballon d'Or was cancelled for this season. Lewandowski deserved to win it. Best player in the world over the past year. 

Could be a good signing. Haven't seen him outside of the Europa League games vs Arsenal and Wolves. He was good in all four of those games and seems to have a very similar playing style to Robertson - a tireless runner up and down the line and can deliver a good cross. 

Yeah, I'm not overly familiar with him but the price is reasonable and we really do need cover for that position, so it seems like a promising deal.

Norwich wanted £20m or so for Lewis, which seems a bit steep given he was benched by a right-footed player for a large part of the season. Obviously they're entitled to set any price they want, but no thanks.

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

I mean it's not a bad signing, it's just not a very inspiring one either.

And if it means less games for Saka in his best position it's a shit signing.

Hmm - I think Saka's best position is on the left, tbh. He was *okay* on the right for us, but better on the left. I think Willian will likely play on the right, which is where he played for chelsea if I'm not wrong? Imagine Pepe/ Willian will be on the right.

This means lesser game time for Nelson, that is for sure, which is a pity.

12 minutes ago, Raja said:

Hmm - I think Saka's best position is on the left, tbh. He was *okay* on the right for us, but better on the left. I think Willian will likely play on the right, which is where he played for chelsea if I'm not wrong? Imagine Pepe/ Willian will be on the right.

This means lesser game time for Nelson, that is for sure, which is a pity.

Saka's definitely better on the left, but I can see Willian getting time on the right meaning Pepe gets shuffled out left sometimes, or something like that.

10 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Saka's definitely better on the left, but I can see Willian getting time on the right meaning Pepe gets shuffled out left sometimes, or something like that.

Pepe's best position is more of an inside forward so I hope the addition of a winger gives him some leeway there. Honestly, I'm fine with Willian. Arsenal has a lot of young players and no real proper wingers who play with width and Willian, for all his faults, does that, is experienced and has work rate. Arteta is clearly looking for experience to help the development of the young guys and you can do a lot worse than Willian. And if the rumors of his contract are true (100k a week or so) and with it being a free transfer, I'm not at all upset.

There's going to be a fat signing on fee for sure though.

Dunno - I thought maybe with Saka, Martinelli, Nelson, Pepe and Auba we were mostly covered. But that is a fairly young forward line and Martinelli is injured till 2021, so I can see the thinking. Him possibly getting a 3 year contract, with a possibility of it being 4 years just doesn't sit right with me.

4 minutes ago, Raja said:

There's going to be a fat signing on fee for sure though.

Dunno - I thought maybe with Saka, Martinelli, Nelson, Pepe and Auba we were mostly covered. But that is a fairly young forward line and Martinelli is injured till 2021, so I can see the thinking. Him possibly getting a 3 year contract, with a possibility of it being 4 years just doesn't sit right with me.

Saka is 18, Nelson is 20, Martinelli is 19 (and injured) and neither Pepe/Auba are proper wingers. I think it makes sense. Agreed on the 3+ year contract but at 100k a week, I'll survive.

Archived