MLB 2020: Enjoy It While It Lasts, I Guess

Myshkin

Manfred doesnt see what all the fuss is about, really!

So, his response is basically, "Eh it should be fine. Stay in your lane" 

I don't want the season to end, but I expect that chatter to greatly accelerate if multiple Phillies test positive. 11 players and a couple staff on the first damn weekend is a lot worse than one or two guys a week around the league having to quarantine. 

On a more positive note, man it was hilarious to see some of those cardboard cutouts already getting rocked by home runs or foul balls. 

Just saw that as well. Early reports are that no Phillies tested positive. That said, it seems like false negatives are much more common in the first few days before transmission. If one of the Marlins breathed hard on Rhys Hoskins as they jogged by him, Hoskins could have contracted it and a test this early may show an incorrect result.

As it is, I think it's promising that despite so many Marlins have it, they don't appear to have infected their opponents. Football or basketball seem far riskier specifically regarding on-court/field transmission team-to-team. On the other hand, the fact that over half of the dugout have it makes me pessimistic that one player in a clubhouse can very easily spread the virus so easily and ruin an entire team.

I don't really give a shit about the stats or playoff results of this year; it's just a very expensive summer of exhibition games as far as I'm concerned. With that logic, I would like to see Manfred stop being a putz, and come down hard on the Marlins. I haven't read the 113 page guidelines MLB wrote (that were weak enough already to allow the Marlins to play when they already had 4 positive tests). But pehaps there's a nice paragraph in there saying "Any team fucking stupid enough to spread COVID across half their clubhouse due to general negligence of safety, and elect to endanger their opponent by not recusing themselves from playing can fuck right off and take a week of L's and players are suspended without pay. Fuck you and wear your masks, you millionaire pricks."

Craig Mish of SportsGrid reports that the Marlins' season has been "paused" for the time being.
It was the only real choice with a COVID-19 outbreak in their clubhouse.

By last count, 17 individuals (including 15 players and two coaches) have tested positive. In addition to all of the safety concerns, the Marlins simply can't field a competitive team right now. There has also been talk about the Phillies (who played the Marlins over the weekend) pausing their season, possibly until Friday as they undergo testing. There should be more clarity on the situation soon, but this is not what anybody wants to see less than one week into the season.

I don't understand how anyone can possibly think this is a hoax or can be taken lightly after this and the deaths coming out of Florida and Texas.

Though I did just read someone on Twitter suggesting the Marlins could be in good shape now that they've achieved herd immunity. Funny as a joke ... I don't think they were joking...

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Just looked at ESPN as I was going through my morning news and four more Marlins tested positive, and more games are canceled.

Good luck with sports in 2020.

Yeah this certainly doesn't bode well for football and basketball either, seeing how close contact is mandatory in those. No way to keep it from spreading. Even players wearing masks, in addition to being impractical, wouldn't guarantee safety. 

4 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Yeah this certainly doesn't bode well for football and basketball either, seeing how close contact is mandatory in those. No way to keep it from spreading. Even players wearing masks, in addition to being impractical, wouldn't guarantee safety. 

Dugouts have to completely change. I've raised my concerns over how the virus could spread with the balls, but as others have countered, you can reduce that by using a ton of them, and they can be washed after the fact to reduce waste. But the clubhouses and dugouts, just watch a game, a lot of people don't have masks on and they're all clustered in such small places. Addressing that issue would be a good first step in making this work.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

But the clubhouses and dugouts, just watch a game, a lot of people don't have masks on and they're all clustered in such small places. Addressing that issue would be a good first step in making this work.

Watching the first three Yanks games - which may well be all I'll get - some players chose to hang out in the stands.  One could make that mandatory - give them designated spots instead of clustering in the dugout.  Slim to none chance it actually happens, but it would help that problem.

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

Watching the first three Yanks games - which may well be all I'll get - some players chose to hang out in the stands.  One could make that mandatory - give them designated spots instead of clustering in the dugout.  Slim to none chance it actually happens, but it would help that problem.

Yeah I've thought about that and it would be an improvement. But for example how do you stop players and coaches spontaneously celebrating? 

I do hope the NBA lets players on other teams sit in the stands though. These cardboard cutouts are getting creepy. 

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Just looked at ESPN as I was going through my morning news and four more Marlins tested positive, and more games are canceled.

Good luck with sports in 2020.

I think it depends on the sport. The AFL and NRL (both high-contact sports) seasons in Australia have used a hub model successfully for quite a while now, despite an outbreak of our favourite virus in Australia's second-largest city. 

10 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Go fuck yourselves, shitty Astros. Joe Kelly is my new hero.

What a great guy. If he faces punishment, it is my hope that 28 other teams' pitchers follow suit their first series against the Astroturds. Throw one up and in, openly mock them from the mound, and then incite a hilarious literal stand-off socially distant "brawl".

Best moment of the night edging out the Twins CF bouncing an Edman 399-foot bomb off his glove to make it a 400 foot homer.

28 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Go F yourself, we still won.

Your 8 hole hitter hit 34 last year! Wtf! That factoid had Jimmy Edmonds mention that the Twins lineup reminded him of the 04 Cardinals team he was a part of. Ah, memories. Ron Gant was in the 7 hole that year and he had like 24 previously. 

On the other end of the spectrum, I expect the Cards to score 3 or fewer runs four or five times a week. Is there any bat in the lineup opponents really fear? I mean Paul DeJong is a great dude and a nice hitter, but yeesh. I'm still confident in a solid 2-over-500 boring second place. 

Love that city btw and I hope your team wins a lot, but God damn is that stadium an eyesore. 

16 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

Your 8 hole hitter hit 34 last year! Wtf! That factoid had Jimmy Edmonds mention that the Twins lineup reminded him of the 04 Cardinals team he was a part of. Ah, memories. Ron Gant was in the 7 hole that year and he had like 24 previously. 

We added a former MVP to our lineup and we have some young high end prospects drooling to come up too. I just appreciate that the team isn't being cheap. We spent all that money on a state of the art ballpark, after all. 

Pitching will probably undo us though. Our Ace should be a good team's second or third option. But that's what we got. Here's to monster bats winning a sprint. 

If I was Kelly I'd appeal that too, and argue that not a single game should ever be played until the obvious cheaters who cheated be banned for life, all titles banners and rings be returned, new ownership be required and everyone who ever played the sport over the last five years gets to punch them all in the face.

This isn't a dude or two using roids. The team completely cheated and everyone was in on it, even if they claim they weren't taking advantage of it. They all knew. To argue otherwise is to say "your lawyer has told you to say you can't recall anything" wink, wink.

Archived