MLB 2020: Enjoy It While It Lasts, I Guess

Myshkin

3 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Eight fucking games? Fuck you Manfred.

Eight games out of 60. That's a lot. Is anyone taking bets on what lasts longer: Kelly's suspension or the remainder of the MLB season?

Well, at least the cheaters Joe Kelly threw at were suspended for... Huh. That's strange...

14 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Eight games out of 60. That's a lot. Is anyone taking bets on what lasts longer: Kelly's suspension or the remainder of the MLB season?

Well, at least the cheaters Joe Kelly threw at were suspended for... Huh. That's strange...

You know I believe the Pats cheated, several times, but I'm not sure it was the same as what the Astros did. If you fairly steal the other team's signs and can signal it correctly, awesome, you did a great job. But the way they did and then how they communicated to guys to lay off or sit on pitches, fuck that. 

Eat shit Astros, you dumb dicks. But save a spoonful for Manfred. And while Joe Kelly is my new hero, Orel Hershiser has been my idol since before the beginning of time. I love him very much.

Usually during most Mariners seasons, I laugh to keep the tears at bay. This year however, I laugh with joy as my beautiful bumbling boys get shelled inning after inning. There is a lot of promise on this ball club, Kyle Lewis looks like he might be the real deal, there are some intriguing arms in the rotation that are getting their first real taster of the majors besides a brief September call up last season. Evan White is starting to look a little more comfortable after looking like absolute dogshit at the plate during the Astros series. All in all, I don't care if they play a single game more, because my concern for the players is more important for me than watching baseball, but damn it I am going to enjoy some of the most wretched baseball anyone has seen since the historic 1899 Cleveland Spiders.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Listening to Dallas Braden drag A-Rod over his comments on a salary cap is one of the funniest things I've heard. This guy needs to do a stand up special.

Eh, no. Flush him with the rest of the Stoolies. 'His trademark call for replays of A’s home runs is, “All aboard! Next stop...Pound-town!” '

I'm curious how folks would react to Joe Kelly if he seriously injured someone with a bean ball. There is no righteousness in throwing an object at someone in a fucking game. 

1 hour ago, Week said:

I'm curious how folks would react to Joe Kelly if he seriously injured someone with a bean ball. There is no righteousness in throwing an object at someone in a fucking game. 

Maybe Manfred shoulda thought about that before he let them all off the hook for stealing that “piece of metal.”

Or maybe the Astros players shoulda thought about that before they stole that piece of metal. Or before they decided to show absolutely zero contrition for being cheating dicks.

If and when someone actually gets tagged in the head I’ll take a moment to re-examine my position, but for now I’m fine with pitchers throwing in their general direction, and more than fine with pitchers clowning those crybabies from the mound. Or you know, these Astros assholes can finally own up to what they did, apologize without condition, and stop trying to make themselves the victims.

Re-evaluate after something bad has happened. That sounds very Manfred of you.

The implacable stance against cheating in a sport where cheating has been rampant since its start is pretty short-sided. I think what they did is wrong and should be punished (as the Sox and Yanks were) but the high-horse, holier-than-thou about it is - fuckin stupid.

A Pats fan arguing that cheating happens.... :P <3

Manfred has been a terrible commissioner all around though. Sidebar the Astros' scandal. He allowed a team to be sold for way over its value to people who didn't have the money to maybe pay what it was even worth. He then lied about knowing that their plan was to immediately slash their operational costs because, like I said, everyone involved knew they didn't actually have the money. This alone should get someone fired. He literally could have screwed every other owner over to artificially inflate the value of a struggling team. 

But let's jump ahead. Look at MLB's plan to reopen. Yay that the Twins are 4-1, but this plan seems like a terrible idea. I hear more and more people who are paid to cover the sport sigh and sound resigned to the likely possibility that the sport won't make it to the end. No one can really plan for a once in a century pandemic, but the buck stops with him and he's been terrible anyways. 

1 hour ago, Week said:

The implacable stance against cheating in a sport where cheating has been rampant since its start is pretty short-sided. I think what they did is wrong and should be punished (as the Sox and Yanks were) but the high-horse, holier-than-thou about it is - fuckin stupid.

A kind of confusing stance? The Astros took the cheating it to a whole new level(you know this), won a title, got caught and none of the actual players were punished at all. That’s the entire point of the everyone’s frustration. What do you expect the aftermath would be? Who’s acting holier-than-thou?

1 hour ago, Week said:

Re-evaluate after something bad has happened. That sounds very Manfred of you.

Well see I think the outrage and hand-wringing over potentially beaned Astros is somewhat premature. The pitch to Bregman wasn’t particularly close, and the pitch to Correa was a curveball with two men on base. So yeah, I’ll wait for more than hurt feelings before considering whether or not things have gone too far. In the meantime I’ll continue to enjoy watching these unrepentant cheaters reap what they sowed.

9 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

What in the shit is this I'm hearing about 7 inning doubleheaders? Shouldn't this have been agreed to prior to the start or am I being the asshole for expecting too much from Major League Baseball? 

With all the Covid-19 talk I guess they forgot about things like summer, and outside, and weather. And that coupled with the unexpected (really?) quarantines and games lost in the first week just makes this farce more farce-y.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/07/30/mlb-mlbpa-progress-seven-inning-games

13 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

What in the shit is this I'm hearing about 7 inning doubleheaders? Shouldn't this have been agreed to prior to the start or am I being the asshole for expecting too much from Major League Baseball? 

The DH in the NL, 16 teams in the playoffs, runners at second to start extras, and now 7 inning doubleheaders? All in a 60 game season without fans. Can we really still call this baseball? 

4 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

With all the Covid-19 talk I guess they forgot about things like summer, and outside, and weather. And that coupled with the unexpected (really?) quarantines and games lost in the first week just makes this farce more farce-y.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/07/30/mlb-mlbpa-progress-seven-inning-games

What are the Marlins up to now, 17 infected? Farce indeed.

4 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

The DH in the NL, 16 teams in the playoffs, runners at second to start extras, and now 7 inning doubleheaders? All in a 60 game season without fans. Can we really still call this baseball? 

The only thing I can accept is a tie after twelve or fifteen like in Asia if they're going to force a conclusion. 

After the NL DH and sixteen teams I'm not sure. 

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

A kind of confusing stance? The Astros took the cheating it to a whole new level(you know this), won a title, got caught and none of the actual players were punished at all. That’s the entire point of the everyone’s frustration. What do you expect the aftermath would be? Who’s acting holier-than-thou?

Violence? No, I do not think that violence is appropriate. Yes, throwing inside with the intent to injure or avenge some glory is an act of violence. Tony Conigliaro can attest.

14 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

John Sterling is feeling under the weather so their Spanish Language radio guy Ricky Ricardo is behind the mic. He sounds like a much less hammy Sterling. I support it. 

I've enjoyed making fun of Sterling's addled delivery along with much of Yankee fandom on the internet for, oh, about twenty five years now.  But I do hope he's alright.  He's 82 and rarely misses games.

Liked how Judge won the game for them tonight.  4-1, and the top of the lineup looks like it's ready to hit on all cylinders which they haven't really gotten since acquiring Stanton.  Sanchez though..yeesh.  And hopefully Torres is alright, sounds like it's day to day with an elbow contusion.

Archived