MLB 2020: Enjoy It While It Lasts, I Guess

Myshkin

1 hour ago, Week said:

Violence? No, I do not think that violence is appropriate. Yes, throwing inside with the intent to injure or avenge some glory is an act of violence. Tony Conigliaro can attest.

I asked what’d you(or Manfred)expect would happen, not if it’s appropriate or not. For better or worse, baseball players have been policing themselves like this forever... including these Astros. 

Giancarlo with the hot bat still, and Judge saving us. Man, Sanchez is fucking lost up there. Still hitless.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

I've enjoyed making fun of Sterling's addled delivery along with much of Yankee fandom on the internet for, oh, about twenty five years now.  But I do hope he's alright.  He's 82 and rarely misses games.

Liked how Judge won the game for them tonight.  4-1, and the top of the lineup looks like it's ready to hit on all cylinders which they haven't really gotten since acquiring Stanton.  Sanchez though..yeesh.  And hopefully Torres is alright, sounds like it's day to day with an elbow contusion.

He's probably just tired, he tested negative for covid. It was bizarre yesterday especially. 

Stanton is seeing the ball insanely well, and Judge is too. When Sanchez is right it’s bad news for the American League. 

I'm not overly worried about Torres, and when he's back and you put him in with them forget. The lineup is horror movie scary. 

17 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

Usually during most Mariners seasons, I laugh to keep the tears at bay. This year however, I laugh with joy as my beautiful bumbling boys get shelled inning after inning. There is a lot of promise on this ball club, Kyle Lewis looks like he might be the real deal, there are some intriguing arms in the rotation that are getting their first real taster of the majors besides a brief September call up last season. Evan White is starting to look a little more comfortable after looking like absolute dogshit at the plate during the Astros series. All in all, I don't care if they play a single game more, because my concern for the players is more important for me than watching baseball, but damn it I am going to enjoy some of the most wretched baseball anyone has seen since the historic 1899 Cleveland Spiders.

I think the Mariners were supposed to be bad again this year as they continued to rebuild their roster.  Retool maybe.  So I'm fine with it being the short season no one will care about in a couple years.  Theoretically.  Fewer games means less development time but even a partial year of live play can only be good for the young players.  Agreed player safety is paramount.  But if they're going to play I'll try and find some positives.

The teams that are supposed to be good right now are the ones that a season like this will affect negatively. 

What a bummer. I knew this was absolutely inevitable. I think we were all in the same boat hoping it wasn't our team that was the next domino. I'm honestly not surprised it's the Cardinals. I've harped often over in the COVID thread regarding my area's willful denial that it's a big deal around here. 

I assume the Cardinals/Brewers series will be completely scrapped. Let's see how many players. I'm guessing three. This is surreal - just last night I was arranging a little watch party of today's afternoon game with my brother across the country. He's not a big baseball fan at all, but was really interested to chat with me over Discord and take in the game. I told him we should do it this weekend, because at any time I expected another report, and more cancellations. I didn't expect it to be the guys I wanted to watch.

I'm all for cancelling this absurd exhibition season regardless. The league's relatively careless approach to all this is biting them in the ass. There's no way to expect entire rosters and staff to safely quarantine themselves away from stadiums, and also travel a few times a week and not find positive tests.

edit: Jon Heyman has been tweeting his butt off about all this. Latest rumor is that it's just two players and they are going to try to play tomorrow and a double header on Sunday. Let me say that this is a colossal god damn mistake. I wish the Cardinals would come out and say "We are quarantining for four days until all tests come out" instead of the Marlins' approach after they found 4 positives, kept playing, and that number is now 18. Fucking idiots, man. all of them.

It may not be possible to have MLB:( 

Join me in a beer and a tofu dog with relish, mustard and onions. I am going to seek out some old games. Blue Jays World Series winning games? What series would you watch?

Then I’ll watch the beast quake again.

The lack of any semblance of longterm planning for these positive tests is really quite galling.  We now have, what, at least six teams that have had games postponed with essentially no plan on when the hell they're going to be able to make them up in such a truncated season.  It's very difficult to see how this is going to be sustainable for much longer.

My guess is we’ll get an announcement in the next few days that says each team will play as many games as they can and postseason slots will be awarded based on winning %.

34 minutes ago, DMC said:

Just saw Manfred warned the Players Association the season is in danger of getting shutdown.  So, like a I asked a few days ago, anyone wanna set an over/under?

The players shot down the idea of an Arizona based bubble pretty early on.  Not sure what they expected.

44 minutes ago, DMC said:

Just saw Manfred warned the Players Association the season is in danger of getting shutdown.  So, like a I asked a few days ago, anyone wanna set an over/under?

Just heard on the news Monday.

So are the Yankees and Rockies co-champions?

10 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Baseball had every opportunity to do this correctly...why do they have to be so bad at this...?

The sad thing is that this post could have been asked so many times in the last, I dunno, 20 years.

Man, if you guys think that the MLB is bungling this, just wait until you see what a disaster the NFL is going to be.

Well, the Mariners won again, Kyle Lewis keeps hitting and Kyle Seager is showing that he is still alive, Really this team should be called the Seattle Kyles since 2/3rds of their production is coming from those two. The other third is coming from JP Crawford but I'm pretty sure that JP is just short for Kyle.

Also holy shit Mookie Betts, you're a bad bad man.

It is with deepest regret I must inform you all that the new extra innings rule is bad and I hate it.

Would have said this no matter the outcome of the Mariners game btw, I'm just here to enjoy the suck. Also Kyle Lewis finally ended his multi hit game streak at 6, but extended his hitting streak to 9. Good times.

Archived