MLB 2020: Enjoy It While It Lasts, I Guess

Myshkin

I'm still really pissed - like sleeping on the couch for a week pissed - at the Cardinals, but boy were those two games a good apology. Terrific hustle plays were vital in both games. Young guys are looking confident. Our bullpen might be amazing, or just Pretty Good, leaning toward the former currently.

I did read a local article today that Shildt sounds like they are being outstandingly careful and did own up that he thought they weren't being safe enough before, and accepted some culpability. He's been a terrific manager so far. 

There have always been unwritten rules about not rubbing it in when you got a big lead. Most notable amongst these unwritten rules is a prescription against bunting or stealing bases. These rules are utter bullshit; the game ain’t over until it’s over. But not swinging on a 3-0 count when you’ve got a big lead? That’s not even an unwritten rule. It’s just plain ridiculous. You don’t get a free pass to groove one down broad street, no matter what the count or score is. 

Watching a "MLB Moment", or whatever they call them, during the Cubs broadcast...and one of the chosen moments is Correra's walk off in the playoffs last year, and all I can think is that somone at the MLB Network isn't paying attention...

2 hours ago, Myshkin said:

There have always been unwritten rules about not rubbing it in when you got a big lead. Most notable amongst these unwritten rules is a prescription against bunting or stealing bases. These rules are utter bullshit; the game ain’t over until it’s over. But not swinging on a 3-0 count when you’ve got a big lead? That’s not even an unwritten rule. It’s just plain ridiculous. You don’t get a free pass to groove one down broad street, no matter what the count or score is. 

Oh stop. A team just a few days before the game gave up an eight run lead. These unwritten rules are such a joke, and frankly it's insulting to let up on a team before the game is over. I once lost a league basketball game by like 60 points, and I was in elementary school. All it did was making me work harder at the next practice, and most of the team felt the same way. If kids can take it and grow, paid pros can too. If you don't like being down by seven and then give up a grand slam, work harder, don't blame the other team because they whooped your ass. 

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Did you actually read Myshkin's post? Particularly where he said the unwritten rules were bullshit? And that of course you swing at 3-0, regardless?

2 hours ago, Myshkin said:

These rules are utter bullshit; the game ain’t over until it’s over. But not swinging on a 3-0 count when you’ve got a big lead? That’s not even an unwritten rule. It’s just plain ridiculous.

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Oh stop. A team just a few days before the game gave up an eight run lead. These unwritten rules are such a joke, and frankly it's insulting to let up on a team before the game is over. I once lost a league basketball game by like 60 points, and I was in elementary school. All it did was making me work harder at the next practice, and most of the team felt the same way. If kids can take it and grow, paid pros can too. If you don't like being down by seven and then give up a grand slam, work harder, don't blame the other team because they whooped your ass. 

I think you may have misunderstood Myshkin's remark. I read it as it's stupid to expect a hitter not to swing at a meatball, whatever the score and count.

Plus it was the guy's first grand slam. What a stupid unwritten rule. 

Hey the good news is, we all agree that it was pretty fucking stupid to throw a meatball and expect a total stud of a young player to just take a knee for you.

I wish he'd done a cartwheel running to home plate. Fuck it. Let's just make baseball the all-cockiness league at all times. We already have the DH, might as well actually make the sport fun to watch now for some damn reason. I mean the South Park guys made a movie about it and everything!

Fuck policing 'unwritten rules' in a season where grown men couldn't be arsed to respect their teammates health by breaking the actual rules, in the year after an organization of more grown men went unpunished after cheating their way to a World Series. This fucking illusion of gentleman sportsman is clearly bullshit and needs to be launched into the stratosphere right next to Tatis Jr's grand slam.

1 minute ago, kairparavel said:

Fuck policing 'unwritten rules' in a season where grown men couldn't be arsed to respect their teammates health by breaking the actual rules, in the year after an organization of more grown men went unpunished after cheating their way to a World Series. This fucking illusion of gentleman sportsman is clearly bullshit and needs to be launched into the stratosphere right next to Tatis Jr's grand slam.

This was always going to happen. Anyone who thought or hoped otherwise was always kidding themselves. 

Okay, seriously, fuck this guy:

"I used a word that is both offensive and insulting. In the past 24 hours, I have read about its history; I had no idea it was so rooted in hate and violence and am particularly ashamed that I, someone who makes his living by the use of words, could be so careless and insensitive," Brennaman wrote. "It's a word that should have no place in my vocabulary and I will certainly never utter it again."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29705200/thom-brennaman-pulled-fox-nfl-games-using-anti-gay-slur-air-reds-contest

What a fucking liar. Everyone knows what "fag" means, especially a man of his age, and he used it so casually and derisively. Plus, if you're going to try and defend your use of homophobic slurs, the last place you want to start is with "I'm a man of faith." Religious bigots have been among the worst enemies of LGBTQ+ equality. 

25 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Today was a banner day for the Yankees, Torres is hurt. Paxton has forearm/elbow soreness. 

Don’t forget Zack Britton! Good times. Rays own them this year.

Mets hit with Covid. Probably no games this weekend. 

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

Don’t forget Zack Britton! Good times. Rays own them this year.

Mets hit with Covid. Probably no games this weekend. 

I'm not as worried about the others as I am with Paxton. Hearing elbow/forearm pain isn't good. 

The Rays sure as hell do. This is what it feels like to be an Orioles fan or a fan of Boston. 

Are the Mets players not doing the right thing? 

Archived