MLB 2020: Enjoy It While It Lasts, I Guess

Myshkin

5 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Eta: Its not even a real complete game, I guess it's just a "quality start".

When cames are called due to weather it's still counted as a complete game or shutout when appropriate.  I agree considering it a no hitter/perfect game would be cheap though.

The Cardinals just lost one of the most pathetic excuses for 'baseball effort" I've ever seen them muster. Coming off that pitiful double header loss to the Pirates, I didn't think it could get much more embarrassing. I think they managed to get an angry "OH COME ON WHAT THE FUCK, [Cardinals player]" once an inning for all twelve innings. Thank god for multiple screens and chores distracting me from an otherwise reprehensibly bad display of baseball.

They had little of my charity after their terrible attitude toward their COVID outbreak. Now this last week has shown bad decisions and garbage effort from the roster, top to bottom. Even our super-stud prospect, by all reports a very hard worker and Cardinals Way type of dude, has been shockingly inept at the plate. Our strong players have mid-outfield power right now. 

Since this is an ugly, non-entertaining, underperforming team with only about six guys I'd like to see on our roster next year, I fully expect them to squeak into the playoffs and somehow win a series.

Yeah a five run in the bottom of the ninth seventh is the type of comeback that brings a locker room together.  Nice to see.  And glad Urshela is back and Green redeemed himself.

I don't think the Red Sox are very good. I'm happy for Mookie that he didn't end up sticking around for this dumpster fire of a team and organization.

That said -- man, I wish we had gotten some Brusdar. He's a beast.

So Gary with the golden sombrero. 48 k’s in 100 at-bats so far and batting .130. He’s currently now in a 3 year slump. His defense has gotten marginally better I guess, but he’s still one of the worst framers I’ve ever seen, and the constant reports of his laziness.

I’m pretty much done with him at this point. Dude just can’t lay off high fastballs or outside offspeed pitches and every pitcher in the league knows it. I miss Romine.

2 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

So Gary with the golden sombrero. 48 k’s in 100 at-bats so far and batting .130. He’s currently now in a 3 year slump. His defense has gotten marginally better I guess, but he’s still one of the worst framers I’ve ever seen, and the constant reports of his laziness.

I’m pretty much done with him at this point. Dude just can’t lay off high fastballs or outside offspeed pitches and every pitcher in the league knows it. I miss Romine.

I get sick of this Gary hate sometimes.  The guy has a career slugging percentage of .508, better than any catcher ever except Mike Piazza and Will Smith, who's only played in 76 games.  Sanchez has 112 HRs in 403 career games - an outstanding pace no matter what the position, let alone catcher.  He definitely didn't "slump" last year when he played in 106 games, had 34 HRs, a WAR of 3.1, and an OPS of .841.  Is he sucking this year?  Undoubtedly, and he's susceptible to prolonged slumps.  But this year is a crapshoot with only 60 games.  He's got two more years of arbitration.  I'd wait a bit before writing off a catcher that can put up those numbers.

It wouldn’t be that bad if he was good defensively, but he’s horrible. It sticks out when  there’s a close pitch with 2 strikes and he doesn’t even try to frame it to get the call. This happens consistently. Or overreaches with his glove for no reason to cost strikes.

Last year he did have the power numbers, but also hit under .200 the 2nd half, and didn’t hit in the playoffs for the 3rd straight year.

It could be that I’m just being a silly, negative Yankees fan overreacting too. 

He does have bad framing stats generally, but usually not too debilitating.  Weird thing is in 2018 he actually looked like he turned the corner on that.  Regardless, I can live with that.  The thing that kills me is the passed balls.  Generally it wouldn't matter too much, but it always seems it cost them a run in crucial times - including in the playoffs.  Anyway, bottomline is I'd think it'd be silly to give up on him when you got two relatively cheap years left.  If he still hasn't worked it out by trade deadline 2022, or maybe even the 2021-2022 offseason, then yeah trade him.

Archived