Watch, Watched, Watching: Strange Times

Ramsay B.

Rockers (1978), streaming now on Amazon prime.  Great to look at and to listen to, like Jimmy Cliff's The Harder They Come (1972), one of my all time top-of-the-list films.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockers_(1978_film)

I've watched The Harder They Come at least 16 times over the years, but for some reason have never seen Rockers. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Harder_They_Come

30 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

It’s really not. She was great in Midsommar, but I like Hereditary even more. One of my all time favorite horror movies, never mind “recent.” Loved the ending and all. 

I said it when someone brought up Us, but between Ari Aster, Robert Eggers, and Jordan Peel, it’s an exciting time for horror movies right now. I’d also add Mike Flanagan. 

It's just a bad joke. She was great in it, and yes she is gorgeous.

Hereditary is the better film. It's actually a horror film that should scare people. Like deeply, even if you're the type like me that doesn't get scared by horror films. Except by Batman Returns. 

8 hours ago, briantw said:

Bean never makes it.  :lol:

My secret movie pitch is "what if we remake Edge of Tomorrow with Sean Bean instead of Tom Cruise and change the ending so that the aliens win" :D

On 8/1/2020 at 10:43 PM, Tywin et al. said:

If we're going to crush on the Joker's earlier work, isn't 10 Things I Hate About You the way to go?

Gosh, no. A Knight's Tale is so wholesome and it has moments that are genuinely funny, not just 'oh haha, that bit is supposed to be funny lol I guess'. It knowingly takes the piss out of itself the entire time and yes that makes it a little bit (intentionally) cheesy but it also has heart and it makes you care what happens to the characters. And then you feel the crushing sadness about Heath Ledger in the back of your mind for the entire time you're watching it. :crying:

21 hours ago, john said:

10 Things is a very good example of the teen high school romantic comedy genre. Knights Tale is also a great example of the anachronistic musical with jousting genre.

My only must watch if I see it on tv (not going to happen much anymore since tv is dead apart from sports) is Hot Fuzz. Used to be Shaun of the Dead but I eventually maxed out on that.

I saw Midsommar last night. Basically it’s not as good as Hereditary and the mysterious pagan bits are a bit of a rip off of Wicker Man, one of my favourite films. Does some things very well however.

Yes. A woman may have two must watch films. And those are A Kinght's Tale and Hot Fuzz.

... trudging. You know, trudging? [pause] To trudge: the slow, weary, depressing yet determined walk of a man who has nothing left in life except the impulse to simply soldier on.

I wonder if for some people, Midsommar was an anticlimax because some people loved it SO MUCH. I went to see it at the cinema and didn't know much about it (no details) and I quited like it. I wouldn't say that I LOVED it. And yes, The Wicker Man is one of my favourite films too. 

15 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Haven't seen it, but does Bean make it? 

Amazing film. Give it a go.

ETA: Started on the second season of The Order this weekend because sometimes you just need something lightweight with witches and werewolves. The storyline is interesting enough to keep me watching and it does have some funny moments, but it also has some 'this is meant to be funny but isn't quite funny enough to make you lol' moments. I also do not care about what happens to the characters (which is something I also get when I watch the HP films), especially their tawdry love lives. I wish they'd spend less time on those, seeing as the emotion they try to portray doesn't feel genuine to me. Anyway, it passes the time I guess.

14 minutes ago, Isis said:

And then you feel the crushing sadness about Heath Ledger in the back of your mind for the entire time you're watching it. :crying:

It's true for both, and more. He was very charming and likable, in his films and what you could glimpse in real life. He was even charming in an odd way as the Joker. His passing was a true tragedy, because of what he could have done going forward professionally and for all his family and friends. He could have gotten just about any role after that performance. 

6 minutes ago, Isis said:

Amazing film. Give it a go.

I intend to. I've got a few things in the queue in front of it, and I want to spend more time reading than watching things for a bit, but I will get to it.

Apparently ICE tried to block its release until after the election, but Immigration Nation has dropped on Netflix. I've clicked it on and off a couple times already. I really want to watch it, but I know it's going to really piss me off.

"ICE gave two filmmakers behind-the-scenes access to document Trump’s zero tolerance immigration policy. What they captured is horrifying: ICE agents taunting/mocking detainees, conducting illegal raids, giddily trying to get their numbers up, etc." ~ Marlow Stern.

I watched The Aeronauts and it was a pleasant surprise. This visuals looked amazing. I like visuals that are kept on screen long enough to appreciate, a test of confidence in the art/CGI department. Must be watched on as big a screen as you can find, preferably one with higher than 1080p resolution. This would have been great to see in an IMAX setting. The story is very basic. Based on an actual event, but they did take liberty in substituting an historical character for a character based on an historical figure from a generation before. And IMO it worked because that character, played by Felicity Jones, was badass!

On 8/3/2020 at 4:34 AM, RumHam said:

Am I a terrible person for wanting to trick Gaston de fox into watching something under false pretenses? Should we do it anyway? 

I hear the Twilight films are essential viewing.

The Transformers franchise gets better with every film.

ditto Robocop.

11 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

ditto Robocop.

I can't remember if it was one of the many I listed before, but I'm all in with the three Never Ending Story trilogy. 

11 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

ditto Robocop.

You're a cruel cruel man.

I love Groundhog Day and appreciate the irony that I can re-watch it just about any time; mostly because Bill Murray is one of my favorite humans in existence. So, I've been cruising through some random Hulu choices lately, and every single damn ad is for that Palm Springs movie with Andy Samberg. FINE, Hulu, I'll watch the damn thing for Pete's sake. Samberg is certainly more in his comfort zone playing absurdist characters like Hot Rod, but this was still a fun enough flick - and a nice trim 1:20 or so. If anything, I felt like they could have added a few scenes here and there. Anyway, it was charming enough and I'm glad I watched it.

I only hope that Hulu's algorithms realize I have indeed watched it, and perhaps now it'll advise me to watch something else. I get Hulu with ads through Verizon, and in theory I don't mind them - I do wish they at least threw a couple different ads at me over the course of my streaming.

Watched the final episode of Mrs America - wonderful series that managed to be funny and intelligent, and never plodding. It was definitely a "want to watch" show, though the subject matter could easily have turned into an "ought to watch". Brilliant casting too. 

Archived