Watch, Watched, Watching: Strange Times

Ramsay B.

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

Watched the first two episodes of Yellowstone. Yeah I think I’m gonna enjoy this. Gonna be my next binge 

You’ll have to stick with it through some pretty absurd writing at times in S1. There was always a lot of crazy and improbable shit going on. It gets better as it goes though. I've been enjoying S3 a lot. This is actually the only show I’m watching weekly right now. 

4 hours ago, Triskele said:

I (along with some of you all) convinced myself to rewatch Munich.  I return only more convinced that it really is that good.  Short list of best films of all time.  

Talking shop with a buddy the other night and pondering lists, both director list and actor lists, and here's something also for you all to ponder:

We came to an accord that Saving Private Ryan was near the top of the SS list (I like Munich better, but I digress).  We also looked hard at trying to determine the top 5 for Hanks.

But here is the dilemma:  As great as SPR is and Hanks is...can't you fairly easily envisions SPR with someone else in that Hanks role?  I argue that if you can't you're not being honest with yourself.  

If I'm right, it has the luxury of being one of the best SS films and one of the best Hanks films while also not being one of the best Hanks films.  

Hanks best film is clearly The Burbs.

I rewatched Starship Troopers for the first time in many years, provoked by the great honest trailer for the film. This film is just great, clearly Verhoeven's best. As a kid I loved the gung-ho militarism (cool guns), but now that I'm old enough to understand all the fascist signaling I can appreciate it on a whole new level. Even the stiff acting fits in, it's such an effective satire :D

On 8/4/2020 at 1:57 PM, Tywin et al. said:

I can't remember if it was one of the many I listed before, but I'm all in with the three Never Ending Story trilogy. 

Trilogy? There were three of those? 

So on the recommendation of this board my wife and I started the Kingdom about a week back and binged the entire thing.  We absolutely loved it, and now she can't wait for the random shit I recommend for us to watch from here.  Though she has said that I need to watch Umbrella Academy so we can watch S2 together.

I've been cutting through the Starz Originals that I haven't already seen, and I'm kind of surprised Boss managed to slip beneath the radar.

I'm not very far into it, mind, but wow, Kelsey.

6 minutes ago, aceluby said:

So on the recommendation of this board my wife and I started the Kingdom about a week back and binged the entire thing.  We absolutely loved it, and now she can't wait for the random shit I recommend for us to watch from here.

I started it about a week ago for the same reason.

Just finished episode 3 tonight.

3 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I started it about a week ago for the same reason.

Just finished episode 3 tonight.

She tried explaining what she was watching to one of our neighbors and it was hilarious.  "It's a Korean political show from the 1700's that also has zombies".  Neighbor was not impressed.

17 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not everyday @Ran, maybe not every week or month or even year, but sometimes, once in a while, we must be able to like a post 5,000 times. 

Would you like to know more?

It's so damn quotable :D

I have found the little snip of the ginger soldier telling Rico "God damn bugs whacked us Johny" buried on YouTube and I have been listening to that quote on repeat. Greatest line delivery in history :lmao:

EDIT: Also Denise Richards in her prime is just... I know her acting isn't great but... :leaving:

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

It's so damn quotable :D

I have found the little snip of the ginger soldier telling Rico "God damn bugs whacked us Johny" buried on YouTube and I have been listening to that quote on repeat. Greatest line delivery in history :lmao:

EDIT: Also Denise Richards in her prime is just... I know her acting isn't great but... :leaving:

I've always wondered how much of a role this film had in me picking Buenos Aires as my study abroad program. 

(It looks nothing like what's in the film, and it took forever to find an American football to give to the 17 and 14/15 year old kids where I was staying)

(It was a real bitch to find some spicy seasoning, and the first time I cooked fajitas for my host family, well they all took a bite and hated it. The other student who was from Japan loved them though)

Archived