Watch, Watched, Watching: Strange Times

Ramsay B.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I also finally finished Russian Doll. I wasn't sure how they were going to pull it off, but it really did it for me. The final shot was perfect. Not sure how they can do another season though.

My guess would be different characters in the same situation. Maybe promoting supporting cast from the first season, or maybe an entirely different setting.

I watched Taxi (the late 90s French film, not the American remake). The car chases were fun, but the comedy was very hit and miss and some of it has really not aged well.

No matter how much he wanted to be a driver I'm not sure I buy the lead character turning down Marion Cottilard so many times during the film.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Are the sequels to Naked Gun worth watching? I caught it last night and it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. This line in particular killed me.

I think the first film might was probably the best of them but I remember enjoying all of them.

Finished S4 of Animal Kingdom on Amazon Prime. If you like the first 3 seasons, this is pretty much standard fare throughout. The heists and action bits are well timed throughout the season, providing just enough adrenaline to keep you through lulls and anticipation building. The ending makes the future very curious but I can say no more for spoilers.

Also finished S1 of the Expanse. Little slow at first but warmed up much more toward the end though my feelings are strongly influenced due to having finished the latest book recently and being much further along in the storyline. I still really like the depictions of the ships, docking manuevers and space travel. I also really like the depiction of the Belters as the underclass as well. They put the seeds of future books in right at the very beginning. I was surprised the first season ended mid-Book 1. Thought that was just enough material for a single season but let's see how they pace it out.

For anyone knowledgeable about the show, where are they in the current book timeline? I've read the show stays pretyy true to the books but still avoid spoilers anyway.

Damn, I don't come on here for a couple days and this thread jumps by 4 pages? Nice going @Veltigar and @Tywin et al. way to stir the pot!

IMO, everyone here is both right and wrong. Art is the one thing that is entirely a matter of opinion. I can see the Mona LIsa and appreciate it, but show me some water colors or even a photo realism tattoo and I might like it more. Movies are the same. Jaws was a cultural phenomenon still talked about every summer in the US  or whenever there is a shark attack. It had a deep rooted affect on a lot of the people who watched it, many of whom will not go into an ocean because of it. At the same time, others watch it and see a rubber shark of a ridiculous size and never think of the movie again.

As to Dunkirk....maybe I need to see it again because IMO it isn't anywhere near SPR. 

Since we are talking movies and opinions, one of my favorites growing up was Beverly Hills Cop. My 12 year old self loved every bit of that movie, action, comedy, Jenny, a crappy blue chevy nova, scenes from nearby Detroit, a banana in a tail pipe and of course, Mike from Breaking Bad.

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

Since we are talking movies and opinions, one of my favorites growing up was Beverly Hills Cop. My 12 year old self loved every bit of that movie, action, comedy, Jenny, a crappy blue chevy nova, scenes from nearby Detroit, a banana in a tail pipe and of course, Mike from Breaking Bad.

One of my favorites growing up was Big Trouble in Little China. It doesn't get much airtime these days, but if I'm not in the middle of something pressing I'll always sit down and watch it if it's on. He ended Lo Pan [Lo Pan lol] but it wasn't until much later that I understood Jack Burton wasn't the hero per se. Wang, Egg, Gracie, the Three Storms, just... I love it so much. And Russel nailed the 100% ham that bequeathed his road wisdom into the CB of the Porkchop Express. So ridiculously fantastic and funny.

It also turned me on to John Carpenter's films. 

5 hours ago, dbunting said:

Damn, I don't come on here for a couple days and this thread jumps by 4 pages? Nice going @Veltigar and @Tywin et al. way to stir the pot!

^you're welcome :D

3 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

One of my favorites growing up was Big Trouble in Little China. It doesn't get much airtime these days, but if I'm not in the middle of something pressing I'll always sit down and watch it if it's on. He ended Lo Pan [Lo Pan lol] but it wasn't until much later that I understood Jack Burton wasn't the hero per se. Wang, Egg, Gracie, the Three Storms, just... I love it so much. And Russel nailed the 100% ham that bequeathed his road wisdom into the CB of the Porkchop Express. So ridiculously fantastic and funny.

It also turned me on to John Carpenter's films. 

:ack: Horrible, horrible incoherent mess instead of a movie

5 hours ago, dbunting said:

Always had a soft spot for that franchise, it has been years since I last saw one, but I do remember liking three the most as a kid. 

I watched Vivarium a weird little SF movie and Happy Death Day. 

The first felt like a long Outer Limits episode. Not bad and entertaining. 

Happy Death day is a fun time loop movie with nods to stuff like Scream. There are better time loop movies but there were a few original ideas. I think I will take a look at the sequel if it hits prime or netflix. 

I made a list of SF-ish movies that I plan to watch. 

Jumanji 2
See You Yesterday
Happy Death Day 2U
Shazam!
High Life
Alita: Battle Angel
Aniara
Possessor
Sea Fever 
The Invisible Man
Color Out of Space
Blood Machines

I just wish there were more good recent SF movies set in space or other planets. 

41 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I didn't like the sequel as much, but if they do a third one it's set up to be interesting. 

Agree.  The sequel was okay, but I didn't have the same 'hey this is pretty good' feeling as I did w/the first one.  

Finished watching season 1 of amazon Prime's The Boys.

My goodness a lot of women died / disappeared / raped / murdered in the course of bringing us this meta comix/graphix/supeverse.

Even within the first scene the classic fridge the wife/girlfriend in order to get a male protag into adventure motivated by revenge and the urge for justice.  There was an urge for justice there somewhere, yes?

Oddly, it is the character and the actor of Starlight who has most impressed me.

Looking forward to season 2 next month (September 4th).

Also completed watching HBO Max's Perry Mason.  It was mostly very satisfying.  It seemed to get better as it rolled along.  It's pretty intense.  Really liked it too.

10 hours ago, Zorral said:

Also completed watching HBO Max's Perry Mason.  It was mostly very satisfying.  It seemed to get better as it rolled along.  It's pretty intense.  Really liked it too.

I liked it as well. There was a lot to unwrap in that series, but unless I missed it there really wasn't a coherent explanation of

Spoiler

why baby Dodson's eyes were stitched open? Unless it was only to trick his parents into thinking he was alive, but even if that's the case, it didn't make a lot of sense given the circumstances of the ransom handover.

Anyway, the scene where Perry's neighbor

Spoiler

fucked him sideways to the point he got wedged between the bed and wall

made LAUGH, but it could've used a bit more humor to alleviate how dark that series was. People just aren't like that all the time.

It started feeling a little rushed in the last few episodes, and I could've done with less about the super church [I had this same grief with Penny Dreadful: City of Angels] but I'm on board. Great characters, fantastic cast. 

Definitely looking forward to S2.

12 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

I liked it as well. There was a lot to unwrap in that series, but unless I missed it there really wasn't a coherent explanation of why baby Dodson's eyes were stitched open? Unless it was only to trick his parents into thinking he was alive, but even if that's the case, it didn't make a lot of sense given the circumstances of the ransom handover.

Yeah I think that was it. I agree it seemed unnecessary.

So did Pete bribe the juror for the assistant DA he went to work for? Or on his own? It really didn't seem like Perry had him do it.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Hide contents

So did Pete bribe the juror for the assistant DA he went to work for? Or on his own? It really didn't seem like Perry had him do it.

Spoiler

When Pete and Perry were on the bridge and Pete questioned him about his last play, I assumed that's what they'd discussed. I mean, beyond his excellent closing argument, Perry didn't really try anything else after all, and throughout the series he often illustrated a philosophy and actions erring more to what was right as opposed to what was legal.

I never got into the original Perry Mason, so can't say whether this is in character or not. I imagine we'll see more growth as he finds his stride. 

Archived