Watch, Watched, Watching: Strange Times

Ramsay B.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Finished watching season 1 of amazon Prime's The Boys.

My goodness a lot of women died / disappeared / raped / murdered in the course of bringing us this meta comix/graphix/supeverse.

Even within the first scene the classic fridge the wife/girlfriend in order to get a male protag into adventure motivated by revenge and the urge for justice.  There was an urge for justice there somewhere, yes?

Hmm.. yeah I thought this was a predictably incorrect take on the show. 

Actually you can view all of the deaths in The Boys on Youtube, some sicko has decided to put them all together.

If you were genuinely concerned about equality then you might be asking why such an absolutely tiny number of women die in comparison to men in the show.. how can this be something we are ok with in 2020? Did #metoo not happen?!
Luckily, the show also has no issue depicting female characters as brutal murderers, something we can all applaud. 

Yesterday I read Picnic at Hanging Rock in a day and then checked if there were any adaptations available for me to watch. The only one I could find was a 2018 TV series which was on Prime for free. The book is quite short and I have to say I felt a bit, 'where is this going then/what is the goal of this narrative...?' most of the way through the book (after the main event occurs). This TV series builds on the source material and fleshes out the characters' back stories in a way that really worked for me. The TV show has Natalie Dormer in the lead role and gives her lots of room for showing different aspects of a beefed up version of the school mistress. It also has Samara Weaving in one of the key student roles. It's delightful to look at (scenery, how the shots are put together and it has lots of pretty people and costumes in it) and I just ate it up in nearly one sitting. Only six, episodes you guys. Read the book and watch the show!

1 hour ago, Isis said:

Yesterday I read Picnic at Hanging Rock in a day and then checked if there were any adaptations available for me to watch. The only one I could find was a 2018 TV series which was on Prime for free. The book is quite short and I have to say I felt a bit, 'where is this going then/what is the goal of this narrative...?' most of the way through the book (after the main event occurs). This TV series builds on the source material and fleshes out the characters' back stories in a way that really worked for me. The TV show has Natalie Dormer in the lead role and gives her lots of room for showing different aspects of a beefed up version of the school mistress. It also has Samara Weaving in one of the key student roles. It's delightful to look at (scenery, how the shots are put together and it has lots of pretty people and costumes in it) and I just ate it up in nearly one sitting. Only six, episodes you guys. Read the book and watch the show!

I think the movie is a bit of a classic, can’t speak for the recent tv show

1 hour ago, JEORDHl said:
  Hide contents

When Pete and Perry were on the bridge and Pete questioned him about his last play, I assumed that's what they'd discussed. I mean, beyond his excellent closing argument, Perry didn't really try anything else after all, and throughout the series he often illustrated a philosophy and actions erring more to what was right as opposed to what was legal.

I never got into the original Perry Mason, so can't say whether this is in character or not. I imagine we'll see more growth as he finds his stride. 

I thought maybe he sent Pete to look for sister Alice, and Pete just didn't find her in time. I've never seen the original either, just Pete looked really guilty and Perry was talking like he "won" the case legitimately.  Though I guess that could have been because Pete told him it was three jurors. I should watch it again.

58 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Hide contents

I thought maybe he sent Pete to look for sister Alice, and Pete just didn't find her in time. I've never seen the original either, just Pete looked really guilty and Perry was talking like he "won" the case legitimately.  Though I guess that could have been because Pete told him it was three jurors. I should watch it again.

That's just as likely, I figure. Did say I assumed. The showrunners [et Downeys] kind of left it hanging.

31 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I think the movie is a bit of a classic, can’t speak for the recent tv shoe 

I've watched the recent TV show, but not the movie, and haven't read the book. Really enjoyed the show - I thought it was tremendously atmospheric and had a strong cast, including Natalie Dormer, who turned in a memorable performance. 

2 hours ago, dog-days said:

I've watched the recent TV show, but not the movie, and haven't read the book. Really enjoyed the show - I thought it was tremendously atmospheric and had a strong cast, including Natalie Dormer, who turned in a memorable performance. 

Yes, it was very atmospheric. At first I wondered where they would get six episodes from - as the book is quite 'thin'. But the show provided lots of potential back story/connections/motivation whilst still allowing for the ambiguity of the novel. It didn't feel padded out, it was well paced. 

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Hmm.. yeah I thought this was a predictably incorrect take on the show. 

Actually you can view all of the deaths in The Boys on Youtube, some sicko has decided to put them all together.

If you were genuinely concerned about equality then you might be asking why such an absolutely tiny number of women die in comparison to men in the show.. how can this be something we are ok with in 2020? Did #metoo not happen?!
Luckily, the show also has no issue depicting female characters as brutal murderers, something we can all applaud. 

As usual - can't think outside yr leetle box --clueless r u.  :P

What The Boys producers were doing in this dark meta-ing of all things supe universe that exists in pop culture and elsewhere, was shoving that particular, justified criticism, so far that people have to pay attention to it.  But you and your kinds didn't even notice ... just whining about being mean to a man or two.  Also missing the prolonged killings by Homeland, are of a mother and her daughter, and then that of Madelyn.

Wonder what happened to her baby.

3 hours ago, Isis said:

Watched this when it was on BBC. I didn't fully love the show but thought the production casting and music were excellent. 

This is veddy cool indeed!  Reconstructing the sound of old languages -- Music Forensics strikes again!

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2020/aug/12/norse-code-project-aims-to-decipher-sound-of-old-languages

....The Royal Birmingham Conservatoire, part of Birmingham City University, and the composer Edmund Hunt are to lead an effort to fuse music and historic linguistics to examine the sonic footprints of Vikings and Celts.

The project, Augmented Vocality: Recomposing the Sounds of Early Irish and Old Norse, will apply new vocal processing and electronic music technology to turn surviving texts into sound.

“The question is can we bring back some of the performative power, the intimacy, of those voices? Can we bring them back to life?” Lamberto Coccioli, the project lead and associate principal of Royal Birmingham Conservatoire, said

His team will collaborate with three European contemporary music ensembles and Cambridge University’s department of Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic. The Arts and Humanities Research Council has just awarded £485,274 to the two-year project, which starts in November.

TV shows such as Vikings and The Last Kingdom, as well as JRR Tolkien’s fantasy world, populate the visual imagination, said Coccioli. “But what do we really know about the sounds accompanying all this imagery?”

The project was inspired in part by Hunt’s mix of specialties – a composer with a degree in linguistics and Anglo-Saxon literature. The goal is to produce musical compositions, public concerts, conference presentations, a digital audio database and a sample library.

Archaeologists have found evidence of musical instruments dating back to the Iron Age, including horns, panpipes, flutes and lyres, but Vikings and early Celts left scant written record of their tunes.

Scholars are confident they know what Vikings and Celts sounded like by tracing the evolution of language and pronunciation, said Coccioli. “The knowledge is there but it’s academic knowledge and not used in artistic practice. We thought we might be able to take the source material for new compositions, not just [recreate] the raw sounds.” [more]

I wonder if maybe you guys could help me. I'm working on a submarine game in my spare time and it just crashed because it generated more islands than I had names for. I'm just using fictional island names, and I know there must be way more. I don't want to use things like "LOST island." They have to have a name and be fictional those are the only requirements. 

"Isla Sorna",
"Isla Nublar",
"Amity Isle",
"Ape Island",
"Candy Apple Island",
"Eventide Isle",
"Gaea's Navel", 
"Isla Delfino", 
"Rockfort Island", 
"Shadow Moses Island",
"Skull Island",
"Ghis",
"Valyria",
"Bear Island",
"Pyke",
"Dragonstone",
"Isle of Tears",
"Naath"
"Tarth"
"Skagos"
"Skane"
"Claw Isle",
"Driftmark",
"Yaros",
"Fair Isle",
"Isle of Faces",
"Isle of Women",
"Vahar",
"Red Deer Island",
"Estermont",
"Vvardenfell",
"Navarone",
"Membata"
"MILF Island"

Otherwise see if you can name all the works of fictions the islands I have a from! I got a lot from ASPIAF obviously but I don't have the worldbook or atlas with me so I'm sure I missed a lot of those. 

22 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Otherwise see if you can name all the works of fictions the islands I have a from! I got a lot from ASPIAF obviously but I don't have the worldbook or atlas with me so I'm sure I missed a lot of those. 

Well, Numenor comes immediately to mind.  Also if you're using Martin's stuff, the Summer Isles/Islands too.

9 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

Definitely looking forward to S2.

Maybe a spoiler tag should be used for some of the stuff in your post since this is only two months old? I haven't seen it and now I am wondering about some eyes...

58 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Maybe a spoiler tag should be used for some of the stuff in your post since this is only two months old? I haven't seen it and now I am wondering about some eyes...

Shit.

revising_dot_gif

Archived