Watch, Watched, Watching: Strange Times

Ramsay B.

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

This is kind of the impression I've gotten. That you spend so much time emotionally involved with so many characters, and then it just declines and ends with a thud. 

The thing is that the ending itself isn't terrible or anything. Nowhere near as bad as Dexter or, say, BSG (though I know some people liked BSG's finale a lot more than me). Generally I'd say the last episode (at least parts of it) are very good, and a lot of the characters have strong resolutions. It's more the final season that fails to really wrap up the show, not so much because they fail to answer a lot of questions but because the answers they do provide don't really make much sense or explain much about what you'd been watching the last five seasons. There's also a controversial choice made in season 6 which some people love, some people hate. I'm on the "strong dislike" side. Major spoilers:

Spoiler

the flash sideways, aka Purgatory, aka (from my perspective) a huge waste of time whose only purpose was to deliver a saccharine sweet ending.

As a whole though, I wouldn't say that Lost declines (final season aside). It has its ups and downs, and turns into a very different show as it goes along, but I loved the sci-fi turn in seasons 3-5, and each season could go from being terrible to great or vice versa. The beginning of season 3 is considered one of the weakest parts of the show, but the last ten episodes are considered to be among its best. It's a pretty unique ride.

I'd probably recommend it to a first time viewer, with some warnings. It's a show that works very well watched quickly, but you do miss some of the magic of watching each episode as it came out and then discussing even the smallest details with friends and random people on the internet.

I've started watching Apple's For All Mankind.  It's an alternate history of the Apollo missions where the Soviets beat America to the moon, and placed a woman on the moon in the mission after that, so America adds 4 women to the Apollo missions -- which weren't cancelled after Apollo 17, and seem to be headed towards moon bases, ice mining, and lunar military shenanigans.   Hadn't realized this was from Ronald D. Moore.

Amused by how the first American woman on the Moon is completely opposite of straight-laced Neil Armstrong in personality.  She's fantastic.

Then there is Joel Kinnaman.  He's quite variable, good is many places but so Joel Kinnaman in others.

On 7/30/2020 at 4:37 PM, DMC said:

Well, I prefer Thin Red Line which came out five months after SPR, but yes, I favor SPR over Platoon and maybe over Glory (which I haven't seen in a very long time).  I just meant it's pretty much your standard war movie.  Executed at an expert level in basically all facets, but still.  And compared to the two I was emphasizing - Munich and Amistad - I prefer each to it.

I saw Thin Red Line when it came out and I don't remember liking it, maybe I'll watch it again to see what I missed. Same with Munich...

I was going to mention Full metal jacket but no I see I am not alone in thinking the 2nd half wasn't very good.

I have seen Bridge over river Kwai and I liked it. Apocalypse now...ehh. I never thought it was a great movie. 

1 minute ago, dbunting said:

I was going to mention Full metal jacket but no I see I am not alone in thinking the 2nd half wasn't very good.

The second half is certainly weaker than the first, but I still don't think that means it's bad.

While I was off last week I finally got around to watching X men Dark Phoenix. Wish I hadn't. Sorry to say this again but Sophie Turner can't carry a movie.

Also watched Hunter Killer again, ok movie at best. Your typical submarine stuff Russia-US stuff with some little variations. Gary Oldmans character sucked. Anyone with that high of ranking wouldn't be storming around and shouting and overreacting like he does.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

The second half is certainly weaker than the first, but I still don't think that means it's bad.

Not bad, but doesn't match the first half. Of course it would be hard to do that.

16 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Idk why, but I watched a random episode from a newer season not that long ago. Yikes. 

Easy, you're a masochist :P

16 hours ago, DMC said:
  Hide contents

I've seen her do a couple interviews over the past few years.  Seems to be a terribly hilarious person and looks like she's got it under control now.  Definitely was not trying to judge - I'd be quite the hypocrite for criticizing anybody for drinking too much.

Spoiler

Don't worry, I didn't assume you were judging her. It makes sense for the production to retire her character if her addiction issues clouded progress. Good to know that she's healthy now. 

17 hours ago, dbunting said:

While I was off last week I finally got around to watching X men Dark Phoenix. Wish I hadn't. Sorry to say this again but Sophie Turner can't carry a movie.

Also watched Hunter Killer again, ok movie at best. Your typical submarine stuff Russia-US stuff with some little variations. Gary Oldmans character sucked. Anyone with that high of ranking wouldn't be storming around and shouting and overreacting like he does.

I watched this in the cinema when it came out (well, I think it was at the tail end of its run in the cinema) because I had some time to kill. Really, terrible film. You know who was worse than Sophie Turner in that film? Jessica Chastain. Holy hell, I've seen better performances from my dogs when I take them for a walk. And I know she can do better, I don't think she is a great actress but she has had solid performances in other stuff. 

Tbh most of the acting was pretty bad, even the more experienced and generally well regarded cast. There's only so much you can do with terrible material I guess.

The whole film was pretty awful. I almost dozed off several times. Even the action scenes were boring, because there was no emotional stakes to it at all. Or at least I didn't care about anything that was happening. 

Sophie is okay, she has a limited range of things that she can do, like many actors, and beyond that range, she struggles.  She should stop trying to do an American accent though. Chastain is so, so bland and forgettable.  But, really, the less said about Dark Phoenix the better. 

3 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Sophie is okay, she has a limited range of things that she can do, like many actors, and beyond that range, she struggles.  She should stop trying to do an American accent though. Chastain is so, so bland and forgettable.  But, really, the less said about Dark Phoenix the better. 

Oh I think generally she is an okay actor, it was this specific film I was talking about. I think I agree with dbunting though that she isn't really strong enough acting-wise for a lead role.

28 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

If we're going to crush on the Joker's earlier work, isn't 10 Things I Hate About You the way to go?

Nope. Good movie but not nearly as charming, entertaining or heartwarming as A Knights Tale.

6 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Nope. Good movie but not nearly as charming, entertaining or heartwarming as A Knights Tale.

Charming? Did you watch the scene where he sings from the bleachers? No knight could do that, nor could a patriot that got shot. 

6 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I’d personally rather watch this than Knight’s Tale... :leaving:

I bet you also thought The Godfather 3 deserved its Best Picture nomination. 

Archived