Watch, Watched, Watching: Strange Times

Ramsay B.

3 hours ago, Isis said:

IT'S IMPOSSIBLE NOT TO WATCH A KNIGHT'S TALE WHEN IT'S ON TV.

I find that it is a very rewatchable film.

48 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

If we're going to crush on the Joker's earlier work, isn't 10 Things I Hate About You the way to go?

I remember liking that, but haven't really felt the need to rewatch it since.

19 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

So I just mentioned Jim Carrey in the U.S. politics thread, and it made me want to watch the endings of both Ace Ventura films. It's implied he actually dies at the end of the second movie off screen, right? 

I watched the one where they are incredibly transphobic, i think its the first one?. It did not age well. 

14 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Weird reaction to someone that was agreeing with you...

Well I misread your post and insulted you. 

You sir, get to make fun of the Vikings three times, and I'll just have to eat it, thank you and ask for another one after the first two.

Jokes aside though, who would ever have thought this guy, and I'm not saying anything against him, would have turned in a top 10, probably top 5, villain performance ever?

12 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I remember liking that, but haven't really felt the need to rewatch it since.

It's a film you only need to see once, but that doesn't make it bad.

I’ve watched 10 Things a bunch of times. I think a lot of people of a certain age probably had a crush on Julia Stiles back in the day...

Knights Tale is ok. Fun enough movie, and a good cast, but I don’t think I’m as big on it as some here are. 

8 minutes ago, Conflicting Thought said:

I watched the one where they are incredibly transphobic, i think its the first one?. It did not age well. 

Most comedies don't age well.  And yes, it's the first one. 

I'm not actually sure if the film's ending is homophobic or transphobic though. 

2 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Knights Tale is ok. Fun enough movie, and a good cast, but I don’t think I’m as big on it as some here are. 

Perhaps I need to give it a second chance. I watched it when it came out in HS or so and was like meh.

Also, I think Stiles gets treated really badly a lot of the times these days in the press. At least the click bait kind.

Must admit I've never seen Knight's Tale.  I always got the impression it was a kids movie and it did not appeal to me when it came out.  Seen 10 Times multiple times and I enjoy it quite a bit.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Must admit I've never seen Knight's Tale.  I always got the impression it was a kids movie and it did not appeal to me when it came out.

It is a very silly film, but I wouldn't say it was aimed at children.

I wouldn't say it's Ledger's best performance but he is charismatic in the lead role, Paul Bettany steals every scene he's in as Chaucer and there's good support from the likes of James Purefoy, Mark Addy and Alan Tudyk. I enjoy the gleeful anachronisms like the court dancing to David Bowie or the wooden London Eye. The plot isn't anything special (it is a bit weird that it's by the writer of L.A. Confidential) but it's fun enough and the jousting makes for good action sequences.

16 hours ago, Isis said:

IT'S IMPOSSIBLE NOT TO WATCH A KNIGHT'S TALE WHEN IT'S ON TV.

It's a charming film I'll wholeheartedly vouch for that

13 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

If we're going to crush on the Joker's earlier work, isn't 10 Things I Hate About You the way to go?

But as @Nictarion and others point out, nothing beats 10 Things I Hate About You. Definitely one of my favorite films when I was younger and I still think it's an underrated comedy. I love them both, but I'd vote for 10 Things if we have to pick early ledger ;) 

(I'm also very partial to his role in The Patriot)

10 Things is a very good example of the teen high school romantic comedy genre. Knights Tale is also a great example of the anachronistic musical with jousting genre.

My only must watch if I see it on tv (not going to happen much anymore since tv is dead apart from sports) is Hot Fuzz. Used to be Shaun of the Dead but I eventually maxed out on that.

I saw Midsommar last night. Basically it’s not as good as Hereditary and the mysterious pagan bits are a bit of a rip off of Wicker Man, one of my favourite films. Does some things very well however.

Archived