Advice for telescopes/beginning your astronomy hobby

Corvinus85

I've always wanted to dip into astronomy, primarily as a hobby. I have a tiny Celestron telescope that's good enough to just see the Moon a bit clearer than with the naked eye. I can also see Jupiter's shape, enough to confirm Flat Earthers are full of shit, but nothing else. So I'm looking for a better telescope, but no idea where to start. I would appreciate the input any with such knowledge and skills.

Has been  a long time since I did any observing. The first thing you need is a place that's really dark. Any kind of light will seriously impact your night vision. 

If you have been watching Jupiter already, you can watch the four Galilean moons and how their position changes from day to day. And if you see Jupiter as a disk you can try Venus. Like the Moon, it's only partly lit, so you should see phases. And of course there's all kinds of star clusters and "nebulae." M31 (the Andromeda galaxy) should be a good subject. 

As for telescopes, there's quite a choice these days. What beginners usually underestimate: a telescope's most important part is the mount. Without a good mount your image will always be wobbly. For the optics, the diameter is the key parameter. A telescope is the more powerful the larger the aperture is. There are generally two types: refractors (which use lenses) and reflectors (which use mirrors). Reflectors usually offer more bang for the buck in terms of aperture. 

There are also different types of mount. You have to compensate for the earth's rotation or your object will move out of the telescope's field of view really fast. Equatorial mounts have one axis aligned with the earth's axis of rotation. Once set up, you then only have to move the telescope around that axis. With simpler altazimuth mounts you have to move around two axes simultaneously. That used to be rather cumbersome but these days there are computer-controlled clock drives. They need power though, which isn't always available in those dark places where you have got a good night sky.

Joining a club might be a good idea. And read the "Sky and Telescope" magazine.

yeah clubs (usually) have open nights often, where the public can come along and have a look through scopes. And my experience has been that club members will go out of their way to help you. So you can look through a range of different scopes, discuss with them what you are interested in doing, what your buget is etc etc. And club members are also a good source of second-hand stuff, so that could help you as well

If you have an observatory nearby you might also check if they have star parties. My wife grew up at a remote observatory where her dad worked as an astronomer and if you go there for a star party they’ll have the big guns pointed at whatever is most visible at the time. I’m sure the astronomers at something like that would have a few thoughts on hobby telescopes, and it’s a cool thing to check out even if they don’t.

Dobsonian Reflector telescopes are generally the best value per dollar. I got a 4.5 inch a few years back that was inexpensive and has served me well as I mostly like looking at the moon and planets. If you want to see fainter stuff you will want a 6 or 8 inch or larger  mirror. Cost goes up the larger the mirror and they do become bulkier and harder to transport. How much light pollution you have may factor in if it is worth it to spend hundreds of even thousands on a larger telescope. Happy shopping.

7 hours ago, S John said:

My wife grew up at a remote observatory where her dad worked as an astronomer

This is in the conversation for coolest things I have ever read on the internet.

Archived