Tolkien 4.0 (A dark and hungry sea lion arises)

Ser Scot A Ellison

For the hard of hearing in the back, personal insults are not acceptable on the forum. Calling things "gay" as an insult is definitely not acceptable on the forum. I've had to remove a whole load of posts and I'm prepared to remove more if called for.

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

No.  The publisher cut it into 3 books.  It’s one book.  I own it in one book.

Same, I have the big red version from the 80s which, TBH, sucks to read.

Side note: I have the Amber series as one volume (10 books in one fat tome), the PoB series in I think 8 books (small print, thin paper) instead of 20 and LoTR as one large volume. They were all gifts, which is nice, but I certainly prefer smaller physical books to these collections. It would be funny if someone mocked up the single volume GoT. It'll be about a foot thick.

2 hours ago, Vaughn said:

Same, I have the big red version from the 80s which, TBH, sucks to read.

Side note: I have the Amber series as one volume (10 books in one fat tome), the PoB series in I think 8 books (small print, thin paper) instead of 20 and LoTR as one large volume. They were all gifts, which is nice, but I certainly prefer smaller physical books to these collections. It would be funny if someone mocked up the single volume GoT. It'll be about a foot thick.

Yeah, large books are a pain. They are heavy and the spines just don't last no matter how careful you are with them.

I'm not sure about the word count but my single volume LoTR is a lot slimmer than my hardcover aDwD. I've recounted this a few times here but it bears repeating. Its (aDwD) the worst book I've ever owned. It has lots of words sure, but the font size is also enormous, the margins ridiculously wide and I'm pretty sure its double or triple spaced as well. Its a large book by itself so I'm not sure why the publisher had to make it even more of a brick. Its not like they can't publish books with small font. I chanced upon the paperback in the bookstore. It was very reasonably sized with the words densely packed together.

I don't think you can get a single volume asoiaf unless you made it very tall. There's a limit to how thick you can go. 

7 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Yeah, large books are a pain. They are heavy and the spines just don't last no matter how careful you are with them.

I'm not sure about the word count but my single volume LoTR is a lot slimmer than my hardcover aDwD. I've recounted this a few times here but it bears repeating. Its (aDwD) the worst book I've ever owned. It has lots of words sure, but the font size is also enormous, the margins ridiculously wide and I'm pretty sure its double or triple spaced as well. Its a large book by itself so I'm not sure why the publisher had to make it even more of a brick. Its not like they can't publish books with small font. I chanced upon the paperback in the bookstore. It was very reasonably sized with the words densely packed together.

I don't think you can get a single volume asoiaf unless you made it very tall. There's a limit to how thick you can go. 

That's odd. My UK hardcover of ADWD is a good 200 pages shorter than my one-volume illustrated LotR.

10 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Pfft. Single volume Malazan please, preferably with all of ICE's books included.

You hear that sound? 

Do you?

That's the sound of my book shelf sagging from the weight of such a tome! 

/Ginger Bread Man: "You monster!" :D

Its these two books from the ISBN. 

https://www.abebooks.com/9780261103252/Lord-Rings-Tolkien-J.R.R-0261103253/plp

https://www.abebooks.com/9780002247399/Dance-Dragons-GeorgeR.R.Martin-0002247399/plp

So I misremembered. It wasn't slimmer by much but it is certainly a lot lighter. There's just something wrong with that aDwD book. My Wise Man's Fear which is also about the same length and is also a hardcover isn't that heavy or thick.

9 hours ago, Ser Drewy said:

This is the edition I have (though not my copy, found online).

I like the Old Forest and think Tom & Goldberry are interesting... aside from the 'hey-dol' parts. 

Obviously the way he talks is gonna infuriate some (most) people but the whole Tom Bombadil scene is a piece of genius for how it marks the last real interlude of whimsy and transitions the hobbits from facing silly (though real) threats to threats more in line with what Sauron will bring via the barrow-wights, all while also imparting information about the nature of the Ring and kitting the Hobbits out for their quest. 

Tolkien's use of rest stops to demarkate how serious things are getting throughout Fellowship in general is pretty great. He never really manages that again later in the book quite as smoothly.

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Obviously the way he talks is gonna infuriate some (most) people but the whole Tom Bombadil scene is a piece of genius for how it marks the last real interlude of whimsy and transitions the hobbits from facing silly (though real) threats to threats more in line with what Sauron will bring via the barrow-wights, all while also imparting information about the nature of the Ring and kitting the Hobbits out for their quest. 

This is a wonderful explanation of it, @polishgenius, and the words you've chosen exemplify (and I guess capture?) my exact feelings. I adore the bits of the book that feature Bombadil. But as with all things - tastes, patience levels, and interests vary. 

Edited by IlyaP

I was being snarky but I guess my quibble with Tom is just that I feel like he's very under-explained and ultimately is just a deus ex machine to get the hobbits out of the barrow.

I'm sure it wasn't, but it feels to me like originally Tolkien wrote the hobbits into the barrow, couldn't figure out how to get the out without bringing in Strider too quickly and then came up with Bombadil. The wight is also a bit odd in that a lot to the bad stuff the characters run into (orcs, trolls, balrog, Shelob, etc...) are explained within the 'ecosystem' of Middle Earth and the barrow wight seems like something from another world/story. Are there a lot of other undead/spectral creatures like this I'm not remembering in Middle Earth? Other than getting the dagger into Merry's hands for later on, it's all a bit out of place for me, both Tom and the barrow scenes.