Tolkien 4.0 (A dark and hungry sea lion arises)

Ser Scot A Ellison

On 10/13/2022 at 2:41 PM, Lord Varys said:

Quick question:

Do you guys remember when you first read Tolkien and/or when children you know first read him?

I gave 'The Hobbit' to my eight-year-old niece this week and am kind of wondering when exactly LotR would make sense. She is already devouring bigger books than 'The Hobbit', it is more about the scary parts of the story.

IIRC, I was 11 when I first read LOTR.

On 11/23/2022 at 12:35 PM, Zorral said:

The Fall of Númenor by JRR Tolkien review – masterful world-building from the father of fantasy

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2022/nov/23/the-fall-of-numenor-by-jrr-tolkien-review-masterful-world-building-from-the-father-of-fantasy

So is this a good read on it's own, assuming a nerd level of background, or a money grab?  Really is the prose any better extended than what we have from Silmilrilian/unfinished tales etc?

Is this the estate of Tolkien being passive aggressive and looking to monetize the second age where Amazon can't?  Though to be honest, they probably got a big enough bag already.

Raises the question about the second age in general.  First age is background, world building, and JRRT follow his muse, I get that.  Second age is kind of blah as a setting commercially if everyone gets introduced to ME in the Third Age.  

I want a story that expands the world and keeps up with the writing from LOTR.  Is this something?  

How does this compare to "Of Tuor and his coming to Gondolin"?

Edited by mcbigski

• 3 weeks later...

On 12/4/2022 at 6:21 PM, Zorral said:

Fall of Númenor arrived here today.  As Partner also tested + for covid today, I shall be particularly grateful to have this, confined to home, and where I too shall surely soon be + and sick.  Sigh.

I got my copy for Christmas.  Not only did I enjoy reading it… it was such a lovely and well assembled book.  Heavy paper well bound… and came with a built in ribbon as a book mark.  :) 

7 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Any specific things you liked in the text?

I enjoyed the fleshing out of Sauron’s ability to use the falling Numenorian’s desire for eternal life to bring about the end of their own civilization.  We’ve read what happened before but there is a fair bit of high end narrative to flesh this out.  I just really enjoyed this one.

From Edelweiss catalog (one of the "key selling points" for reissue of The History of the Hobbit by John D. Rateliff):

PRIME VIDEO’S EPIC THE RINGS OF POWER SERIES has brought a new generation of fans to Tolkien’s works with a more than 100% increase in sales across the entire Tolkien backlist in calendar 2022. The Hobbit is one of the books (along with The Silmarillion) that popped the most in sales during the season one run of the series, making it the perfect time to reissue this book in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

My local library has the new Andy Serkis read Unabridged LOTR audiobooks.  I just got to The Two Towers book 2.  Hearing Serkis read Gollum/Smeagol is just amazing.  That said… I feel bad for Serkis having to attempt to sing the various songs and poems (Rob Inglis… the prior unabridged reader did those songs very well).

• 2 weeks later...

https://lotb-ltd.com/

They've now received a cease and desist letter from the owners of the film rights.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-64519500

Unfortunately, I do think that their website and promotional material looks sufficiently similar to the opening credits of the film, to make it likely they would lose a case based on passing off or trademark infringement. I don't think the use of the name "Lord of the Bins" per se would be actionable by anyone other than Tolkien's literary trustees.

Edited by SeanF

4 hours ago, SeanF said:

Unfortunately, I do think that their website and promotional material looks sufficiently similar to the opening credits of the film, to make it likely they would lose a case based on passing off or trademark infringement. I don't think the use of the name "Lord of the Bins" per se would be actionable by anyone other than Tolkien's literary trustees.

"Lord of the Rings" is trademarked in many different categories by Middle-earth Enterprises, so they are certainly in position to act against it.

There is no parody exemption for trademarks in UK law, as far as I can find. And the Trade Mark Act says in Section 10 (3):

A person infringes a registered trade mark if he uses in the course of trade[F1, in relation to goods or services,] a sign which—
(a)is identical with or similar to the trade mark, ...
(b). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .where the trade mark has a reputation in the United Kingdom and the use of the sign, being without due cause, takes unfair advantage of, or is detrimental to, the distinctive character or the repute of the trade mark.

I think it's very clear that Middle-Earth Enterprises would feel that a parodic trademark that references their work is "detrimental [to] ... the repute of the trade mark." They don't want LotR associated with rubbish and rubbish removal, however necessary or honorable that profession may be.

Edited by Ran

12 hours ago, Ran said:

"Lord of the Rings" is trademarked in many different categories by Middle-earth Enterprises, so they are certainly in position to act against it.

There is no parody exemption for trademarks in UK law, as far as I can find. And the Trade Mark Act says in Section 10 (3):

I think it's very clear that Middle-Earth Enterprises would feel that a parodic trademark that references their work is "detrimental [to] ... the repute of the trade mark." They don't want LotR associated with rubbish and rubbish removal, however necessary or honorable that profession may be.

I think it’s (a) rather than (b) that would catch out the rubbish collectors.  The logo and home page do give the impression that they are connected to the film.

I don’t think the term Lord of the Bins is itself detrimental.

The same company tried and failed to get The Hobbit pub to change its name.