Tolkien 4.0 (A dark and hungry sea lion arises)

Ser Scot A Ellison

26 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I think it’s (a) rather than (b) that would catch out the rubbish collectors.  The logo and home page do give the impression that they are connected to the film.

(a) is just obvious, but (b) is very much relevant.

I don’t think the term Lord of the Bins is itself detrimental.

Using someone's trademark as a joke to enhance your rubbish collection business is obviously something Middle-earth Enterprises sees as detrimental.

The same company tried and failed to get The Hobbit pub to change its name.

"Failed" by getting them to pay a licensing fee to continue to use the name, IIRC.

A Hobbit pub is certainly more in keeping with LotR in spirit than a rubbish collection business. I doubt ME Enterprises will offer a licensing deal.

4 hours ago, Ran said:

(a) is just obvious, but (b) is very much relevant.

Using someone's trademark as a joke to enhance your rubbish collection business is obviously something Middle-earth Enterprises sees as detrimental.

"Failed" by getting them to pay a licensing fee to continue to use the name, IIRC.

A Hobbit pub is certainly more in keeping with LotR in spirit than a rubbish collection business. I doubt ME Enterprises will offer a licensing deal.

It's not clear if that dispute was ever settled. 

Looking at pictures online, the rubbish collectors have posted pictures of Gandalf and hobbits collecting rubbish, so they're bang to rights.

I see there's a Lord of the Bins board game, however.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/359915/lord-bins

Edited by SeanF

55 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I see there's a Lord of the Bins board game, however.

Released less than a year ago and with apparently very few sales, so it's probably not on the radar... and as it's an edutainment game, could be even if ME Enterprises noticed, they won't bother with it.

• 2 months later...

Here we go again, with for white supremacy,and agin' white supremacy in medieval literature, history, studies and scholarship, and their influencers:

Why White Supremacy No Longer Provides Cover for White Academia
Roundtable on Racisms and Tolkien, Tolkien Studies Area, PCA/ACA 2023

https://robinareid.substack.com/p/why-white-supremacy-no-longer-provides?

.... Too many of the articles on race and Tolkien dismiss racist readers as atypical, as ignorant, as reading the Legendarium badly, and, by extension, dismiss the question of structural/systemic racisms in Tolkien’s legendarium as unimportant to the field of Tolkien scholarship. ....

4 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Here we go again, with for white supremacy,and agin' white supremacy in medieval literature, history, studies and scholarship, and their influencers:

This is again sharing the obviously incorrect reading of Stuart Hall's remarks in his memoir about his frustration at Merton College, that he wanted to apply literary theory and his professor(s) were telling him it was a language course, not a lit course.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2023 at 2:39 AM, Ser Drewy said:

This is great, though it is only the 150 letters originally cut from the 1981 edition. A fair bit has been unearthed in the last forty years, and it would be nice if an expanded letters could take that into account.

On 4/12/2023 at 9:58 PM, Zorral said:

Why White Supremacy No Longer Provides Cover for White Academia
Roundtable on Racisms and Tolkien, Tolkien Studies Area, PCA/ACA 2023

https://robinareid.substack.com/p/why-white-supremacy-no-longer-provides?

My own view is that Tolkien’s Legendarium offers very cold comfort to racists and white supremacists.

The tales are full of examples of characters’ racial arrogance biting them on the arse.

• 5 months later...

All along this story has colored me gobsmacked by the solipisistic narcissism that anyone thought he could claim copyright infringement from the Tolkien estate for something he ripped off from Tolkien.   A mind that operates like this is beyond my limited, narrow imagination.  Does anyone know if this guy has some, I don't what one would call it, issues? on the spectrum? or something?

Copyright claim against Tolkien estate backfires on Lord of the Rings fanfiction author
Demetrious Polychron ordered to destroy all copies of The Fellowship of the King after claiming Amazon prequel infringed his copyright

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/dec/18/copyright-claim-against-tolkien-estate-backfires-on-lord-of-the-rings-fanfiction-author

On 12/19/2023 at 12:40 PM, Zorral said:

All along this story has colored me gobsmacked by the solipisistic narcissism that anyone thought he could claim copyright infringement from the Tolkien estate for something he ripped off from Tolkien.   A mind that operates like this is beyond my limited, narrow imagination.  Does anyone know if this guy has some, I don't what one would call it, issues? on the spectrum? or something?

Copyright claim against Tolkien estate backfires on Lord of the Rings fanfiction author
Demetrious Polychron ordered to destroy all copies of The Fellowship of the King after claiming Amazon prequel infringed his copyright

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/dec/18/copyright-claim-against-tolkien-estate-backfires-on-lord-of-the-rings-fanfiction-author

That was a masterful gambit: hawking his book on Amazon at the same time he was suing the company.