Tolkien 4.0 (A dark and hungry sea lion arises)

Ser Scot A Ellison

11 hours ago, One-Winged Balrog said:

Was the significance of exact timing in the denouement of The Lord of the Rings plot discussed somewhere? Perhaps by Tolkien himself in letters somewhere?

I'm talking about Frodo and Sam arriving at mount Doom precisely as the Host of the West engaged the army of Sauron in an unwinnable battle.

Were Frodo and Sam to arrive a day later, and Gandalf, Aragon, Éomer, Gimli, Legolas and Peregrin would all be dead. Eagles would also be either dead of dispersed, and assuming the ring still gets destroyed, Frodo and Sam would also perish.

Were Frodo and Sam to arrive a day early, there would be no climactic confrontation at the Black Gate... but assuming the ring gets destroyed, Frodo and Sam would still perish, because the Eagles are nowhere near.

Eucatastophe.  The opposite of a catastrophe.

15 hours ago, A wilding said:

The whole of LotR is full of miraculous exact timings. This has been argued as evidence that Iluvatar was quietly managing events in a manner distinctly reminiscent of a Christian god.

Watsonian explanation: Providence.

Doylist explanation: It makes more a more exciting story.

George RR Martin uses this trope too of course. It's very, very common in fiction, because it increases the stakes. 

• 3 weeks later...

Question for those of you who have listened to the LoTR audiobooks, i'm thinking of getting the audiobooks to pass the time while commuting to work. It seems there are two versions, the classic one narrated by Rob Inglis and the brand new 2021 reissue by Andy Serkis!

Any suggestions which one to get?

Edited by AncalagonTheBlack

On 9/18/2021 at 3:31 AM, Marsala said:

Aranarth didn't try to continue the North Kingdom, let alone press his claim to Gondor. But he and his descendants continued to protect Eriador and maintain it (in a curiously empty state outside of the Shire and Breeland) for centuries. I think they did feel unworthy of a royal title until they had earned it again. However, the emptiness of Eriador in the late Third Age (less populated than Wilderland!) is one of the oddest bits of Tolkien's world-building. It seems to be an artifact of the earliest drafts of The Fellowship of the Ring, in which Frodo (then Bingo) had to make it to Rivendell through an uninhabited wilderness after leaving Bree. This idea wasn't fully present in The Hobbit - note that the encounter with the trolls is said to be their first night camping, which implies that inns were present right up to the Edge of the Wild!

Even in the absence of a government, the depopulated state of Eriador makes little sense.

It’s a huge and fertile expanse of land.  Even in a society like sixth century Britain, there were settlements, despite the fact that all the cities had gone.

15 hours ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

Very well written.

On 2/6/2022 at 2:28 PM, The Marquis de Leech said:

Geez, that person must hate Elendil. 

But tbh, what's wrong with Elendil? He's the dad of Isuldur, so he's Aragorn's........great-great-great-great-great-great-however many "great"s it is grandpa, who led the (seven, I think it was) ships away from Numenor. Doesn't seem so bad to me. 

Edited by Jaenara Belarys

I wonder what happens to The Lord of the Rings MMO. Depends on the license, if it's revocable or not, I suppose. If it's revocable, 100% chance that it will get shut down. Especially if Amazon does indeed buy the rights. Although, were I Warner Bros., I would give serious consideration to buying it from under Amazon. Do limited live action series, films, animated stuff, as an additional IP for the catalog.

26 minutes ago, Ran said:

I wonder what happens to The Lord of the Rings MMO. Depends on the license, if it's revocable or not, I suppose. If it's revocable, 100% chance that it will get shut down. Especially if Amazon does indeed buy the rights. Although, were I Warner Bros., I would give serious consideration to buying it from under Amazon. Do limited live action series, films, animated stuff, as an additional IP for the catalog.

I think Amazon already cancelled their MMO last year or the year before. 

Yeah, here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-04-17-amazon-cancels-its-lord-of-the-rings-mmo

Edited by Ser Drewy

27 minutes ago, Ser Drewy said:

I think Amazon already cancelled their MMO last year or the year before. 

Yeah, here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-04-17-amazon-cancels-its-lord-of-the-rings-mmo

I'm referring to  The Lord of the Rings Onlinewhich has been running for over a decade. Their license is via Middle-earth Enterprises, i.e. the Sault Zaentz Company, but with those rights now being sold off it may be that they'll end up having to close if the license is revocable.

I'm referring to  The Lord of the Rings Onlinewhich has been running for over a decade. Their license is via Middle-earth Enterprises, i.e. the Sault Zaentz Company, but with those rights now being sold off it may be that they'll end up having to close if the license is revocable.

´Still until you have a replacement lined up, there should not be much reason to starwarsgalaxies Loto (though that may just be the sunk cost fallacy speaking)

On 1/11/2022 at 5:18 AM, One-Winged Balrog said:

Were Frodo and Sam to arrive a day early, there would be no climactic confrontation at the Black Gate... but assuming the ring gets destroyed, Frodo and Sam would still perish, because the Eagles are nowhere near.

Do we know the eagles were not somewhere near Aragon's hosts, awaiting a signal from Gandalf to swoop in?

Because if so, Frodo and Sam getting to Mount Doom early wouldn't have been an issue. Gandalf would have known the moment Frodo claimed the Ring, summoned Gwaihir and his chums, and had a slightly longer flight to Orodruin. He might have spent his extra flight time sulking about not being able to stare the Mouth of Sauron into silence...

14 hours ago, Ran said:

I totally forgot about that game, lol. Which is weird since I loved playing it for a time. I have no idea what they'll do in the case. 

On 2/11/2022 at 3:35 AM, fionwe1987 said:

Do we know the eagles were not somewhere near Aragon's hosts, awaiting a signal from Gandalf to swoop in?

Because if so, Frodo and Sam getting to Mount Doom early wouldn't have been an issue. Gandalf would have known the moment Frodo claimed the Ring, summoned Gwaihir and his chums, and had a slightly longer flight to Orodruin. He might have spent his extra flight time sulking about not being able to stare the Mouth of Sauron into silence...

I thought the Eagles had only arrived for the battle, to fight the Nazgul, but you may be correct, too.