Tywin's Revenge against the Ironborn

nyser1

17 hours ago, Tikhunt said:

It's likely that a considerable amount of reperations were paid by the Greyjoys to cover costs of the war and Tywin would have got his fair share or at least as much as he could get away with. 

Greyjoys has been able to rebuild their fleets in less than 10 years. Or it seems that Ironborn could keep enough resources for that and so anything they paid to victors would have to be minimal sum compared to amount of cash they could have paid.

10 minutes ago, Loose Bolt said:

Greyjoys has been able to rebuild their fleets in less than 10 years. Or it seems that Ironborn could keep enough resources for that and so anything they paid to victors would have to be minimal sum compared to amount of cash they could have paid.

Maybe but the ironborn have access to huge amounts of Iron which would mean large wealth potential through trading. Besides longships use comparatively few materials. 

59 minutes ago, Tikhunt said:

Maybe but the ironborn have access to huge amounts of Iron which would mean large wealth potential through trading. Besides longships use comparatively few materials. 

It is very odd that winners did not try to take control of those iron mines just to make sure that IB really pay their "debts". Or left behind some tax collectors and other agents in Iron Islands.

Besides most warships of about 100 ships in Iron Fleet are larger and so much more expensive to both build and maintain than average longship. So that fleet is major investment.

6 hours ago, Loose Bolt said:

I believe the GRRM Ironnborn use some of Age of Empires II cheats with their building...

I do think it's weird that Tywin Lannister and the entire Lannister regime basically paid the Ironborn dust the entire series.

Although maybe it's for the best: King Euron and the Ironborn are the threats that no one saw coming because they weren't paying attention.

It's a common thing throughout the series. What was once viewed as a Stark problem or a Northern problem will become a continental and global problem because people didn't intervene on the behalf of the Starks.

On 8/2/2020 at 11:10 PM, nyser1 said:

This is how I felt. Folks pointed out a few lines of Westermen involvement which I either forgot about or did not notice originally. However, to counter the points of a few - yes, I do believe that the destruction of the Lannister navy is not some petty slight that Tywin would not want PERSONAL vengeance for. We see what he does, even to his own family for much less.

To have the fleet which protect the third wealthiest city in the kingdoms (his own and by honor, a slight to the "shield of Lannisport, Lord of the Westerlands, and Warden of the West). I do not believe a few Baratheon victories (including the storming of Pyke, not the destruction of), two of Balon's sons dying in battle, and Ned Stark taking Theon hostage would satisfy his thirst. 

I am not suggesting he needed to see every Ironborn on Pyke killed (although that would fit his MO). The destruction of the entire Iron fleet, giving Theon to Tywin, immense economic recompense - this would fit the bill.

I naturally disagree. The thing with is that Tywin reacts very poorly to personal or familial insults and stuff. On the business side he don't seem to be nearly as touchy.

To get the fleet sunk naturally sucks but it really don't seem to have been considered a personal as opposed to a business issue for Tywin. And mind you, according to A Wold of Ice and Fire, Tywin was with Robert on Pyke, along with Eddard, and thus could get all the revenge he would possibly want. In the end the Greyjoys however have about no importance to Tywin's actual goals and priorities, in which a half-Lannister king on the throne and the future of House Lannister secured seems to be the number one issue.

Thus there's no need or importance in focusing on an side-show when Tywin wants to play on the main stage. And mind you Tywin has served kings all his life and knows how to navigate those waters. If the king wants clemency and mercy, then that's what's its going to be. Tywin is simply way too smart to raise a fuss or counteract the words or intentions of his king openly over a minor issue like dealing some extra hurt to Balon for the sake of it.

And given the lack of brutality after victory against the Stormlords and Reachmen following Stannis, the lack of seeking vengeance against the Tyrells and the happy acceptance of the Riverlands and North back into the king's peace and generally not just executing all the noble prisoners he takes at the Green Fork and that the Freys capture at the Red Wedding,

I don't get why people think that Tywin is only capable of "Rains of Castamere" response to any scenario before him.

On 7/29/2020 at 5:10 PM, nyser1 said:

So Tywin is unable to forgive the slightest grudge against anyone for anything.

During the Greyjoy rebellion, the Ironborn burned the Lannister fleet. I do not believe we hear anything further about the Lannisters and Greyjoys & he seems emotionless when discussing them politically during the WoT5k. Plothole?

Not a plot hole. He is trying to figure out how to use the iron invasion of the north to his advantage. Having either Roose/Ramsay or Tyrion rid the north of ironmen (and wildlings) would do wonders to build loyalty among the northern lords. This is why he was content to let Balon keep his holdings for the winter; to give the north a good dose of life under the ironmen, so that when he does march against them, all enmity against the Lannisters will be gone -- or so he thinks.

On 7/29/2020 at 4:53 PM, Bowen 747 said:

The chance to permanently get rid of the Greyjoys came after their defeat.  Robert should have sent the boys to the wall and fostered Asha with the Tarlys.  Samwell needs a role model.  

What boys? Balon and his brothers?

Archived