U.S. Politics: Some Of Us Did Warn You, But It Can't Happen Here...

Wut?

ETA: I'll clarify, what the fuck are you talking about? Last time I checked, the reason why we're in such existential crises in this country is because of the crazy ass Christian in control--note, not all Christians, but the particular brand of psycho Christians elected in the GOP. I fucking wish Christians were canceled. Maybe our planet wouldn't be heading to the fiery inferno plagued by crazy assholes who won't wear masks.

11 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Two things: open the new thread, Cancel Culture 4, Cancelling Christianity, and second, be ready to defend your position. I’m a practicing Christian (hey, I’m RC, are you one of those Christians who don’t consider Catholics Christians?) and don’t think we’re being cancelled. Go to it!

For me personally, one of the best things about this forum is that it has made me a lot more tolerant of religion. I still think it's silly, but I absolutely respect your right to believe what you believe if you're not hurting anyone else, especially if it leads you to do good things. But like you said, if you're going to say something like that, be ready to defend it. 

2 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Just a hunch, but Muslim Americans are a lot more under threat of being cancelled, in America anyway. There was literally a Muslim ban. When was the last Christian ban in America?

But the war on Christmas., and and not allowing school prayer are clearly forcing Christians underground.

Just look at this evil anti-Christian propaganda that was on CNN years ago (posted because I think it funny and any excuse and because if you're a fan of Bob's Burger you can totally hear Hugo's voice whenever Sam says Bob).

It is important to talk about Christian aggrievement in the US when looking politics. It is one of the major driving force for the Republican party and their base, and has been for decades. Canceling culture in regards to Christians is just another instance of Right wing psychos stoking animosity and fear within their base

4 hours ago, AverageGuy said:

1636. It's been a while.

Don't cape up for that time when the witches tricked everyone.

3 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

But the war on Christmas., and and not allowing school prayer are clearly forcing Christians underground.

It's almost like conservatives are making a big stink about this because they don't actually listen to what Jesus said at all, that dirty liberal Jew....

Real cancel culture would be banning tiktok, with the explanation that it's giving data to "the Chinese Communist Party" according to Pompeo, more red scare bogeyman BS.  We know the real reason is that it's been a forum for organizing.  

Limited clicks, NYT:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/02/style/tiktok-ban-threat-trump.html

6 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Two things: open the new thread, Cancel Culture 4, Cancelling Christianity, and second, be ready to defend your position. I’m a practicing Christian (hey, I’m RC, are you one of those Christians who don’t consider Catholics Christians?) and don’t think we’re being cancelled. Go to it!

It is KC, thank you, and no I am not the Decider of Who Is Christian.  

I believe there are many people who don't consider themselves Christian who are actually Christian.  I believe in the Greater Gospel.

6 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Just a hunch, but Muslim Americans are a lot more under threat of being cancelled, in America anyway. There was literally a Muslim ban. When was the last Christian ban in America?

The US treats Muslims terribly but it does the same the to Christians.  The last Christian ban never happened it is more of A Under The Radar Willingness to Cancel.

6 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

Wut?

ETA: I'll clarify, what the fuck are you talking about? Last time I checked, the reason why we're in such existential crises in this country is because of the crazy ass Christian in control--note, not all Christians, but the particular brand of psycho Christians elected in the GOP. I fucking wish Christians were canceled. Maybe our planet wouldn't be heading to the fiery inferno plagued by crazy assholes who won't wear masks.

Those people aren't real Christians if they are doing things that aren't Christian.  In this Christian family we wear masks and love our neighbors.

1 hour ago, TheMightyKC said:

and no I am not the Decider of Who Is Christian.

A few moments later...

57 minutes ago, TheMightyKC said:

Those people aren't real Christians if they are doing things that aren't Christian

16 hours ago, DMC said:

If you can't get the simple fact the Dems hold a 26-24 advantage in the largest half of the states and a 21-29 disadvantage in the smaller half of the states, I can't help you.  It most definitely is correlated to population, especially when you consider most of the strongly GOP states on the partisan lean scale there are smaller states.  The only ones ranked in the top 20 in population are Indiana, Missouri, Tennessee, and Texas.  And Texas, along with other large GOP-leaning states like Georgia, Florida, North Carolina, Ohio, certainly Arizona are either still or moving into the competitive range.  This plainly gives the GOP an inherent advantage on capturing the majority - and that advantage is due to all the safe (or at least much safer) seats they have among smaller seats.  Really, this is a very simple point you're making way too complicated.

Largest half vs. smallest half is arbitrary. Yes, it's 26-24 for the top half and 21-29 for the bottom half. But most states' populations are pretty similar. The US has 4 huge states, like 8 large states, 8 tiny states, 5 small states, and a mass of 25 states in the middle. And trying to distinguish those 25 states by using population to determine partisan lean doesn't seem particularly valid. 

And besides that, in my previous scenario of if 2020 goes about as well as it can for Democrats, then next congress it'll be a 29-21 advantage in the top half and a 27-23 advantage in the bottom half. That doesn't seem that different to me.

Getting away from talk about senate composition, I'm a bit surprised to see this:

Both the statement and the fact that Murkowski felt the need to say it. It would take 3 more Republicans joining her to block a theoretical SCOTUS nomination, and I doubt they exist. But even Murkowski is one more than I thought there'd be.

1 minute ago, Fez said:

Getting away from talk about senate composition, I'm a bit surprised to see this:

Both the statement and the fact that Murkowski felt the need to say it. It would take 3 more Republicans joining her to block a theoretical SCOTUS nomination, and I doubt they exist. But even Murkowski is one more than I thought there'd be.

It does depend somewhat on the circumstances.  If the opening were in August or September, yes, McConnell would get a new Republican seated.  In October, it would be an open question because even a rushed SC confirmation still takes some time, and with the election so soon, it would be a shitshow (although that's when Trump/McConnell are at their best).  Confirming after the election (assuming a Biden win) would be harder still, and it would all need to be done before Jan 3 when the next Senate is seated.  

Kaepernick shirt used as target for dogs to attack at Navy Seal event last year just come to notice.  The most amazing thing for me isn't that they did it, but that they thought it wouldn't get out, and if it did they feel safe that there will be no consequences.  Can't link for some reason. 

11 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

It does depend somewhat on the circumstances.  If the opening were in August or September, yes, McConnell would get a new Republican seated.  In October, it would be an open question because even a rushed SC confirmation still takes some time, and with the election so soon, it would be a shitshow (although that's when Trump/McConnell are at their best).  Confirming after the election (assuming a Biden win) would be harder still, and it would all need to be done before Jan 3 when the next Senate is seated.  

All fair points, but my question is did she say this, the right thing by the way, with or without knowing if there were a few other Republican Senators who would support her, even if it was just in private to block an attempt to do it in the first place?

Archived