U.S. Politics: Some Of Us Did Warn You, But It Can't Happen Here...

51 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Family values, folks...

My lord, is Jerry Falwell's kid an entitled douchenozzle dudebro?  Perish the thought!

44 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Kobach's career goes down in flames in Kansas.

Boo!  Woulda been better if he won the primary, but that already seemed to be a fool's hope anyway.

10 hours ago, maarsen said:

Trump wishing Ghislaine Maxwell well is still causing a problem for him. It seems to me to be a signal to her to not release the tape of him with an underage girl and he will try and help her. 

As opposed to him just being an idiot and always thinking everyone in his circle of people who treated him well can't be bad? 

7 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

I was on the phone yesterday for a teleconference town hall thing with my congressman, Andy Harris. Maryland may be a blue state, but the eastern shore is pure Trump country. The comments and questions the people from my district were saying and Harris himself...It was literally making me feel sick!

"We really don't need masks, I respect anyone's right to wear one, but I'm not going to."
"We want you (Harris) to stand behind our President!" 
 "We need to support our President!"
 "I think Trump has done a good job and is making our country great again!" - Yes someone said that.
 "Our so-called Republican Governor Hogan was wrong to speak out against our President. GOP politicians better start doing a better job defending and standing up for our President, if they don't we'll vote for Trump but not for you!"

I am not exaggerating or embellishing this a bit, I promise.

Ah, the progressive dream.  That Trump's idiot base might vote for him, but not downticket because they didn't "defend" the president, that moderates all switch on Trump (and some may switch downticket, some won't), and we get a massive surge of Dem voters all straight down the ticket, resulting in a huge state and federal surge.....

Plenty of possibilities for shoes to drop, including seeing what the ballot rejection rate was, but so far last night does ease my worries somewhat about the logistics of the November election.

Also, Missouri voted to expand Medicaid! That'll do a huge amount of good for that state.

Trump is a cult of personality, if people really are genuinely threatening to vote for Trump but not for any Republican who criticises Trump. I guess they also don't understand how government works.

Some of the best takeaways for those who don't have 30 minutes spare:

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/you-cant-do-that-watch-the-most-stunning-exchanges-from-president-trumps-interview-with-axios-jonathan-swan/

If the line "“It is what it is” about 1000 Americans a day dying isn't played over and over by Dems, they've missed a trick.

His comments on John Lewis (he didn't attend my inauguration) and the Tulsa rally (it set a ratings record on Fox!) don't show his narcissistic world view, nothing will.

Some of the memes are fantastic.  Several fantastically funny around Swan's reactions.  I also quite like this one:

1 hour ago, ants said:

If the line "“It is what it is” about 1000 Americans a day dying isn't played over and over by Dems, they've missed a trick.

Don't worry, they already have a TV ad out:

[....]That goal is simple: to delegitimize vote-by-mail in states where they think it will hurt Trump, while legitimizing it in places where they think it will help him — such as Florida — to ensure that as many of his voters as possible utilize it if they would otherwise skip voting out of fear of the pandemic.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/08/05/trump-his-spinners-are-suddenly-freaking-out-about-florida-heres-why/?

...  Because the “safeguards” that Lara Trump and the president are talking about not only do exist in other states; in some cases they are too strict, given pandemic conditions. That being the case, Trump is relying on them to help invalidate the votes of people who vote against him.

Trump’s real game plan

As I’ve reported, Trump and Republicans are relying on state laws in virtually all the swing states that, among other things, invalidate mail ballots that are postmarked before election day but arrive after it. This is what you might call a "safeguard.” Meanwhile, Trump’s handpicked chief of the U.S. Postal Service is implementing reforms that are unleashing large mail delivery delays.

Those state laws could make the disenfranchising effects of those delays worse, voting rights experts say, by resulting in untold numbers of ballots that arrive late being invalidated. Democrats are litigating in those states to get late-arriving ballots accepted. Trump and Republicans are fighting against that, screaming about fraud.

If Trump is narrowly ahead on election night with millions of mail ballots still uncounted, he will declare that all those outstanding votes in supposedly non-secure states are fraudulent — potentially fomenting violent civil conflict by declaring the election stolen if votes counted later tip the result against him.

At the same time, he’s already declaring that mail votes in Florida will be valid.

At the core of this ugly game, as Brian Beutler points out, is the fact that Florida has a lot of seniors. Older voters can be expected to vote promptly and thus see votes counted by Election Day even if they vote by mail. Seniors are both a key Trump demographic and are rightly terrified of the pandemic Trump did so much to exacerbate.[MORE]

On 8/4/2020 at 8:49 AM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

With good cause.  It seems the only rational response to Republican's actions regarding Judge Garland and his nomination.  If they reversed themselves and pushed through RBG's replacement before Trump left office "court packing" is the only way for a newly Democratic majority to counter that action. 

After the refusal to even consider Garland, the threat by multiple Senators to refuse to seat any Justice nominated by Clinton had she won, and the countless ways that the norms of judicial nominations have been violated by Republicans during the Trump administration, it would be utter idiocy for Democrats not to have those options at least on the table.

I basically think that on the subject of the courts, and the Supreme Court in particular, Republican politicians have not just flipped the table to avoid losing the boardgame, but effectively taken out a gun and threatened the other player with it to avoid defeat. It’s actual insanity at that point to act as though you’ll get anywhere by trying to restart the game and you can go back to playing nicely by the rules.

I saw Jennifer Rubin of WAPo on Twitter attacking Karen Bass for eulogized the former leader of the Communist Party USA leader, and all I can think is that if this is an issue, consider that. Biden was a speaker at the funeral of Strom fucking Thurmond. These conservatives are not our friends, and can't wait to either stab us in the back, or infiltrate the party and turn it into Republican lite

11 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

I saw Jennifer Rubin of WAPo on Twitter attacking Karen Bass for eulogized the former leader of the Communist Party USA leader, and all I can think is that if this is an issue, consider that. Biden was a speaker at the funeral of Strom fucking Thurmond. These conservatives are not our friends, and can't wait to either stab us in the back, or infiltrate the party and turn it into Republican lite

Bass is my top choice for the remaining candidates, with Duckworth as my number 2 choice (considered Warren, but I don't think Biden will pick a white woman, and I'd rather have 4 guaranteed years of a Democratic senator in Massachusetts, just in case anything squirrely happens.

2 hours ago, ants said:

Some of the best takeaways for those who don't have 30 minutes spare:

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/you-cant-do-that-watch-the-most-stunning-exchanges-from-president-trumps-interview-with-axios-jonathan-swan/

His comments on John Lewis (he didn't attend my inauguration) and the Tulsa rally (it set a ratings record on Fox!) don't show his narcissistic world view, nothing will.

Some of the memes are fantastic.  Several fantastically funny around Swan's reactions.  I also quite like this one:

There's something special universally special about his tweets.  

Damn I liked watching him play as a kid. If you want to hear about an interesting life story, a fall from grace being reborn in an even stranger way, Rex's is one worth learning about.

I call block on you by the way. No Australian worth their salt calls charge.

44 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

I won't defend Biden speaking at Strom Thrumond's funeral but that doesn't change the problem with Bass.

Bernie's refusal to retract his statements about Castro made Florida impossible for him and now Florida (not just Never Trumpers) is *freaking* about Bass which is politically very bad unless she can somehow fix that with them. And given Communism's link to authoritarianism, showing sympathy for authoritarians while campaigning against Trump's authoritarianism becomes hypocritical.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/04/karen-bass-eulogized-communist-party-usa-leader-391455

One top Democratic National Committee member said that while Bass is well-liked and respected by Democrats, “we probably lose Florida if it’s Bass.”

Democratic pollster Fernand Amandi, who is based in Florida and advised Barack Obama’s two campaigns on Hispanic engagements, agreed.

“Karen Bass says she is not a communist,” Amandi said, “but she clearly has no qualms associating with or praising communists, which to most Hispanic voters in Florida, fairly or unfairly, is tantamount to being one.”

*For the record, George Will prefers Bass, at least before this all came out.

46 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

It's a marathon, not a sprint, and if I have to hear that many people are Christians even if they don't know it, fucking almost everyone is a Democrat, if they don't know it yet either, especially those far right Christians. 

Number one rule for a VP is "do no harm." Bass clearly does at least a little bit of harm, maybe even a lot of harm, she can't be the VP. And I trust Biden and his VP selection committee are smart enough to know that.

Bass supporting scientology is also just not great.

As was said elsewhere, we've gone from a VPOTUS pick which can shore up Biden's weaknesses to needing a VPOTUS that simply does no real harm. Bass has the potential to do a lot of harm; Duckworth and Harris do not.

12 minutes ago, Fez said:

Number one rule for a VP is "do no harm." Bass clearly does at least a little bit of harm, maybe even a lot of harm, she can't be the VP.

Yup.  My other issue with Bass is I'm not sure she even wants to takeover in 4 years.  Even if she did, I don't think she'd be a very good presidential nominee.  It's Harris or Duckworth or bust for me as well.

Archived