Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark

Gaston de Foix

17 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

The Last Crusade is a nice capstone on the trilogy, and if you enjoyed the first two, then the third is pretty much a must-see film.

By the time he made this one, though, Spielberg had stopped taking chances with his films.  So it is a pleasant jaunt, with fewer live-action flayings, beheadings, propellerings, burnings, heart-wrenchings, child slavery, famine, etc.  A lot more "Hollywood" type of violence, where the gun shoots and people clutch their chests and fall over.

And Shrieking Willie is not a character, while Sean Connery is, so there is that, too.

I wouldn't say he stopped taking chances overall. Jurassic Park is one of my favorite films and they took some serious chances with that. And that's far from the only one.

A better way to describe it is that because Temple was so violent, they had to scale things back for the third one. I also just think he wanted to make different films. The first one is "a thinking man's action film." The second one is a hard R action movie. The third one is, sorry Gaston, spoilers, a father-son story, and it wrapped everything up nicely. 

The fourth one is just a cash grab. Watch it sober at your own risk. I can't say much nice about it, other then that place with all the waterfalls, that's where I had one of the best times of my life while studying abroad in Argentina. And it is as beautiful in real life as you might think. Take a trip there if you ever get the chance.

13 minutes ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

This is thread is great fun.  @Gaston de Foix, please liveblog movies whenever you can. 

Please tell me he's never seen Fight Club. I'm not one that overly fawns on it, but damn would a good live posting of it be hilarious. 

Oh shit, on Pitt's other work, Seven. 

Or if we're going there, The Usual Suspects. 

Shit I'd take Weekend at Bernie's if it was this kind of comedy gold (not laughing at you, only with you, Gaston).

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Please tell me he's never seen Fight Club. I'm not one that overly fawns on it, but damn would a good live posting of it be hilarious. 

Shit I'd take Weekend at Bernie's if it was this kind of comedy gold (not laughing at you, only with you, Gaston).

He already said he’s never even seen a western. That seems like a good place to start after Indiana Jones.

5 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

He already said he’s never even seen a western. That seems like a good place to start after Indiana Jones.

So does he start with The Good, The Bad And The Ugly, Unforgiven, or Wild Wild West?

21 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

So does he start with The Good, The Bad And The Ugly, Unforgiven, or Wild Wild West?

I'd start with the earlier classics - Stagecoach, My Darling Clementine, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Fort Apache, High Noon, Shane, Searchers.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

I'd start with the earlier classics - Stagecoach, My Darling Clementine, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Fort Apache, High Noon, Shane, Searchers.

I've always meant to get to Shane. What a movie to know how it ends without having seen it.

The gag was for Wild Wild West. I haven't actually seen most, shit, maybe all, of the movies you listed. I trust you that they're great. Just think it would be more fun given what this thread as provided from Gaston to push him towards a Western widely considered to be absolute trash. I mean imagine

Spoiler

his breakdown of the giant metal spider device. Or really every other completely insane shit from that film. Cheer what is right, for the people.

Said all in Bane voice.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The gag was for Wild Wild West. I haven't actually seen most, shit, maybe all, of the movies you listed. I trust you that they're great.

I figured you were joking about Wild Wild West, but fair point that live-blogging shitty movies is fun.  My favorites of the movies I listed would be Searchers first, then High Noon second.  I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of all I mentioned, but they're all broadly considered classics.  Also, couldn't go wrong with My Darling Clementine as it's the first real Wyatt Earp classic.

10 hours ago, Leofric said:

I like your essay, however I don't agree that the Germans wouldn't have found the Ark if Indy hadn't been in the movie.     They had already found the City of Tanis, and if they kept systematically digging they would have found the Ark.  Unfortunately for them, they found the Map Room first and got side tracked looking for the Headpiece of Ra, trying to find a short cut to take them straight to the Ark.  If they didn't get the Headpiece they would have gone back to systematically digging up the whole site and eventually found the building housing the Ark.

I acknowledge the possibility that the Germans find the Ark without the Headpiece. I would point out, however, that there is an explicit line where the Nazis tell Belloq that Hitler is losing patience... without the Headpiece, they are running out of time.

55 minutes ago, DMC said:

I figured you were joking about Wild Wild West, but fair point that live-blogging shitty movies is fun.  My favorites of the movies I listed would be Searchers first, then High Noon second.  I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of all I mentioned, but they're all broadly considered classics.  Also, couldn't go wrong with My Darling Clementine as it's the first real Wyatt Earp classic.

I'm always down for a good suggestion on a Western.

It just dawned on me though. What if Gaston had never seen Kung Fu Hustle, and live posted about it?

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

If we're talking famous trilogies, he could have also never seen Back to the Future. 

10 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've never seen Fight Club or Weekend at Bernies or Seven. Have seen the Usual Suspects and loved it.  

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

It just dawned on me though. What if Gaston had never seen Kung Fu Hustle, and live posted about it?

You guys figure it out.  Happy to take requests. I've never seen Kung Fu Hustle.  I'm mildly inclined to a standalone rather than another trilogy for reasons of time. 

39 minutes ago, Rhom said:

In his Star Wars watch thread he told us several he hadn’t seen, I don’t recall if Back to the Future was one or not.

Yes, never seen Back to the Future.  Is that the Terminator series?

UPDATE: Just googled.  Clearly not. 

Further Update:

Went to Wikipedia and didn't read too much for fear of spoilers but: "Marty McFly, who accidentally travels back in time from 1985 to 1955, where he meets his future parents and becomes his mother's romantic interest."  ???

9 hours ago, DMC said:

Also, couldn't go wrong with My Darling Clementine as it's the first real Wyatt Earp classic.

Is the movie based on the song or the song based on the movie? All I know about Wyatt Earp is that he is a character in a Dresden Files short story, A Fistful of Warlocks.  Is he a stock figure in Westerns?

The song predates the movie.    Wyatt Earp was a real person, a famous lawman in the late 1800's in the Western United States, he is probably  most famous for his time as a marshal in Tombstone, Arizona and the Gunfight at the OK Corral, where he, his brothers, and Doc Holiday faced off against a local gang.   His life has been depicted and fictionalized in countless books, radio, movies, and television series.  Tombstone is one of the more recent movies about him, starring Kurt Russell as Wyatt, Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday, and Sam Elliot and Bill Paxton as Wyatt's brothers.  It is excellent.    

16 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

The action scenes are very good. 

My wife demands I let all of you know that from what she watched in the last 1/3 she's offended by its treatment of women.  

Something to digest, the actress playing Willie is Kate Capshaw, Steven Spielberg's wife. They first met on the set on Temple of Doom and later married. Seems odd knowing that now and watching the film.

I just have to mention the fantastic sound effects in this trilogy. I love all of the fistfights and could juts close my eyes and listen to them. Completely unrealistic, but I love them nevertheless.

Archived