Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark

Gaston de Foix

1 hour ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Is the movie based on the song or the song based on the movie? All I know about Wyatt Earp is that he is a character in a Dresden Files short story, A Fistful of Warlocks.  Is he a stock figure in Westerns?

What Leofric said.  Just to add because it's interesting.  The director of My Darling Clementine was John Ford, who directed many of the early western classics.  He claims to have met the actual Wyatt Earp when he was a prop boy during the silent picture era as Earp would come visit old friends from Tombstone on the sets and regaled Ford with the tale of the O.K. Corral.  That being said, the general myth that is depicted in both MDC and Tombstone (the film) is a highly fictionalized version of the Earps' experiences.

3 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

If we're talking famous trilogies, he could have also never seen Back to the Future. 

Wow. This is brilliant. 

Gaston, the first movie is as good as it gets, the second one isn't great, but it's also kind of predictive of what the world is becoming, in a way. The third one is just odd, but you still have to see it. But all three movies just have such off the rails moments. You'll love it as much as we'd love reading you giving live breakdowns.

I've never seen Fight Club or Weekend at Bernies or Seven. Have seen the Usual Suspects and loved it.  

Fight Club and Seven are gritty, dark movies. One of the two has an all time iconic scene. Weekend at Bernie's is a okay comedy, but you'll still have a blast. Just don't read anything about it before you see it. 

You guys figure it out.  Happy to take requests. I've never seen Kung Fu Hustle.  I'm mildly inclined to a standalone rather than another trilogy for reasons of time. 

It's a truly awful film, it takes parody to new levels, but it's still kind of funny. 

As good as straight Westerns are, they are also pretty wide-ranging in what is considered a "Western" from The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) all the way to Bad Day at Black Rock (1955).  But straight Westerns (white hats vs black hats or Cowboys vs Indians) are probably not as fun to live blog as Gaston is doing.  They are very straight, and as such lack a large number of the sort of funny responses a modern viewer would have.

But Spaghetti Westerns, now there is a treasure trove of good live-blog fare.  From Ennio Morricone's soundtracks in the Sergio Leone / Clint Eastwood Man With No Name Trilogy (A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly) to the pinnacle of his art, Once Upon a Time in the West to cheese grinders like My Name is Nobody or Django with Franco Nero, these would be terrific live blog subjects.  Seen from a new viewer with today's perspective, these will portray all kinds of crazy.

25 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Wow. This is brilliant. 

Gaston, the first movie is as good as it gets, the second one isn't great, but it's also kind of predictive of what the world is becoming, in a way. The third one is just odd, but you still have to see it. But all three movies just have such off the rails moments. You'll love it as much as we'd love reading you giving live breakdowns.

Fight Club and Seven are gritty, dark movies. One of the two has an all time iconic scene. Weekend at Bernie's is a okay comedy, but you'll still have a blast. Just don't read anything about it before you see it. 

It's a truly awful film, it takes parody to new levels, but it's still kind of funny. 

OK, I'll do Back to the Future after I do the Last Crusade.  Prime has the first one for rent for a few dollars.  

Speaking of Raiders of the Lost Ark, a few years back Steven Soderbergh did a black-and-white, silent-but-for-alternate-score version he put up here, entirely as a tool to help himself and budding filmmakers focus on the craft of Spielberg's staging.

10 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

OK, I'll do Back to the Future after I do the Last Crusade.  Prime has the first one for rent for a few dollars.  

Last I checked the first and the last were on Netflix, at least around here. For some reason not the second though.

10 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

Last I checked the first and the last were on Netflix, at least around here. For some reason not the second though.

It's always odd when they do that. Has to be something with who owns the rights to things.

3 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Yes, never seen Back to the Future.  Is that the Terminator series? 

UPDATE: Just googled.  Clearly not. 

Further Update:

Went to Wikipedia and didn't read too much for fear of spoilers but: "Marty McFly, who accidentally travels back in time from 1985 to 1955, where he meets his future parents and becomes his mother's romantic interest."  ???

I mean this in good fun because I enjoy these threads but this has cracked me up. And I thought I]/] was a sorry excuse for a nerd :P:rofl:

Yeah, Back to the Future should be the top priority.

Fight Club should come soon after, though I'd understand if some Western movies came first - I'd go for High Noon and then Good, Bad and Ugly - though if Lord Foix has watched Back to the Future II and III before, he might also be interested by watching Fistful of Dollars ;)

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Fight Club and Seven are gritty, dark movies. One of the two has an all time iconic scene.

You might be thinking of other scenes, but I think both endings are iconic scenes. Seven on its own, Fight Club also because of some later real-life event - but then, reading the opening chapter of Pahlaniuk's novel which describes it is even weirder and impressive. (hopefully that's not spoilerish in any way)

I love the ending of Fight Club so much. Absolutely perfect song choice with Where Is My Mind (Pixies). 

You met me at a very strange time in my life

Count me as another vote for Back to the Future. Gaston will have pretty much knocked out all my childhood favorites between Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Back to the Future. Assuming he’s seen the original Jurassic Park?

As for westerns I’d break it down like this:

John Wayne - The Searchers, Rio Bravo, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, True Grit 

Clint Eastwood - Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Unforgiven, Outlaw Josey Wales 

Misc - High Noon, Once Upon a Time in the West, Tombstone, Assassination of Jessie James by the Coward Robert Ford, 3:10 to Yuma (2007), Wild Bunch, Hateful 8, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

I'm sure I’m forgetting a bunch of other classics, but that’s a good group to choose from, and you can’t really go wrong with any of them. 

On 7/30/2020 at 4:56 PM, Gaston de Foix said:

Welcome to this thread in which I liveblog as I watch Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.  This is my first time watching this or any other Indiana Jones movie and I am watching in order of release.  I meant to start this thread a few weeks ago but work interfered.  Anyway I'm trying to keep my promise belatedly. 

It's just "Raiders of the Lost Ark".  I hate the "Indiana Jones" addition to the later film boxes.  It doesn't roll of the tongue well at all with the "Indiana Jones" added to it.

41 minutes ago, Clueless Northman said:

You might be thinking of other scenes, but I think both endings are iconic scenes. Seven on its own, Fight Club also because of some later real-life event - but then, reading the opening chapter of Pahlaniuk's novel which describes it is even weirder and impressive. (hopefully that's not spoilerish in any way)

Seven is a slow burn to a wild end. Fight Club is just wild from midway through the first act. Either way, I just figured they'd be great examples of, if you're watching this for the first time and live blog, tell us what you think, because this thread has been great.

Because Netflix, I've got another one. Total Recall.

3 hours ago, Ran said:

Speaking of Raiders of the Lost Ark, a few years back Steven Soderbergh did a black-and-white, silent-but-for-alternate-score version he put up here, entirely as a tool to help himself and budding filmmakers focus on the craft of Spielberg's staging.

Why does it have a funky techno score?  That doesn't work... at all.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Why does it have a funky techno score?  That doesn't work... at all.

Actually, I thought it worked well at parts! But as he says in the comments, it's mostly there to get you out of the familiarity and see it in a new light, to better focus on the visuals. Also maybe to shore up the idea that it is a transformative use acceptable for a Fair Use argument in case anyone at Lucasfilms/Disney got upset at him (they probably wouldn't, given that it's still up 6 years later).

6 minutes ago, Ran said:

Actually, I thought it worked well at parts! But as he says in the comments, it's mostly there to get you out of the familiarity and see it in a new light, to better focus on the visuals. Also maybe to shore up the idea that it is a transformative use acceptable for a Fair Use argument in case anyone at Lucasfilms/Disney got upset at him (they probably wouldn't, given that it's still up 6 years later).

The film does look great in Black and White.

Archived