Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark

Gaston de Foix

Oooh, I've got another one.

So the other day I was on like a 90 minute bike ride. There were a number of detours from my normal route due to construction. I biked past a number of amazing looking houses, but one I had never seen before stood out, because it wasn't a house, it was a castle. The cars in its private lot were all worth at least six figures. But it had a "for rent" sign in the yard. It made me wonder if I offered them $10,000 to rent it for a month, would they just laugh at me like Bateman got laughed at when trying to make a last moment reservation at the hottest restaurant in NYC.

If you haven't seen it Gaston, American Psycho is perfect for this too.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Oooh, I've got another one.

So the other day I was on like a 90 minute bike ride. There were a number of detours from my normal route due to construction. I biked past a number of amazing looking houses, but one I had never seen before stood out, because it wasn't a house, it was a castle. The cars in its private lot were all worth at least six figures. But it had a "for rent" sign in the yard. It made me wonder if I offered them $10,000 to rent it for a month, would they just laugh at me like Bateman got laughed at when trying to make a last moment reservation at the hottest restaurant in NYC.

If you haven't seen it Gaston, American Psycho is perfect for this too.

Dude, where do you live?

46 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Where is the opening scene shot does anyone know? I want to say Utah/Colorado. 

Got it right -- the Arches National Park in Utah for much of it, the train sequence in southern Colorado.

10 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Barnett College

https://indianajones.fandom.com/wiki/Barnett_College#:~:text=Established in 1823%2CBarnett College,was located in Hamilton Hall.

Established in 1823,Barnett College was a college in Fairfield, New York. It was considered an Ivy League college. Indiana Jones was a professor of archaeology there for several years, starting in 1937. Jones' office was located in Hamilton Hall.May 9, 2020

If you really like seeing elephants, which it seems you (and I do), one of the very films for that -- and getting to see just how elephants historically were used in war -- netflix has streaming, Jodha Akbar (other battle scenes and martial arts too, all stunning -- Johdha Akbar.  Romances don't interest me, but the romance content here, despite the review linked to below, is subordinated to the political and military -- and the romance is part of the politics and military.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/hindi/movie-reviews/jodhaa-akbar/movie-review/2786319.cms

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2008/oct/16/1

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/16/movies/16akba.html

As for Kennedy and Churchill comparison of career and accomplishment (and catastrophe) -- unlike Kennedy, Churchill had the unfair advantage of living for a very long time, and living much of that time in power. Though Kennedy also smoked Cuban cigars, he smoked machine rolled Petit Upmann , while Churchill smoked hand-made Romeo y Julieta and La Aroma de Cuba. :cheers:

13 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

It's one of my wife's favorite movies.  It is excellent, although the depiction of elephants in warfare saddens me since it is such an abuse of their nature. 

The use of elephants in war has a long history in India in religion and art.  Porus famously used them in battle against Alexander of Macedon.    

Elephants, breeding, capture, training for war, ceremony, labor -- it was a very big part of the Southeast economy for centuries, long before Alexander ever encountered them.  Something historians outside of Asia seldom consider.  Elephants were as important to the economies of the region as spices and the other big mercantile goods. 

Archived