Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark

Gaston de Foix

2 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I'm simply following orders, senor.  Everyone says don't bother with Crystal Skull.  

Yeah... I can't recommend watching it.  But at the same time, its hard to understand everyone else's disappointment if you haven't watched it.  

I mean, what does it mean when someone says a  movie "Nuked the fridge"?  If you don't watch Crystal Skull, you might never know.  :lol: 

26 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Postscript:  I was talking to a friend about misogyny in Indiana Jones.  He got very defensive.   I know @HelenaExMachina has views on this, but I would like to gather some data through a straw poll if I could. 

I should also say that I want to come to this straw poll with no preconceptions and as the preceding posts have made clear I enjoyed them all (the third the most).  But something can be flawed and enjoyable simultaneously. 

1.  Are any of the Indiana Jones movies (1-3) misogynistic when watched today? Is the series as a whole?

2. Was/were they misogynistic at the time?

3.  Were they disrespectful or unappealing to a female audience at the time? 

4.  Was it out of step with other movies of its time in its treatment of women?

5.  Did you watch any of them when released?

6.  Is this a stupid conversation to be having?

7.  Any other comments?

1) Yes.

2) Also yes? If it's misogynistic now, it's misogynistic then. I guess what you mean is "Was it wisely recognised as misogynistic"?

3-5) N/A I'm a youthful soul...

6) No, but I can already guess several posters who will respond yes, and their 'reasons' why

I 'm a little unclear on misogynistic questions.   I would certainly say that the character of Indiana Jones is misogynistic in his treatment of women, but not the movies themselves, except maybe Temple of Doom, treating Willie throughout most of the film as a damsel in distress.   But the female characters depicted in the other films, Marion and Elsa more than held their own against Indy and the the rest of the the male characters. 

The misogyny is part of Indy's character and could be seen as part of the typical attitude and character of a man in the 1930s.   I think the 1930's character of Indy would fit in with many of the films from the 1930s and 40's with starring Clark Gable, Cary Grant, Humphrey Bogart etc.

I saw them all in the theaters.  And my sisters and other girls I knew all loved them, or Harrison Ford at least.

12 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Please Gaston, do the Star Wars Holiday Special.  I feel that this and your reactions would be the pinnacle of live-blogging on this forum.

Thanks, Wilbur.  Is it on Disney+? Happy to do it.  But would you prefer before or after the Back to the Future trilogy? I feel like that is an important part of my remedial education.

I've also been secretly watching the Mandalorian...even though I know I'm supposed to watch the Clone Wars and the other one first.  

8 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I've also been secretly watching the Mandalorian...even though I know I'm supposed to watch the Clone Wars and the other one first.  

The order doesn't really matter yet, by the time season two of the Mandalorian comes out you may want to have seen Clone Wars and Rebels.

Also, I say watch the fourth one even though it's bad. Most of us were so disappointed by it because of expectations you shouldn't have. Besides they're supposedly making V and who know it might be good and then you'll just be confused. 

It's also fun to have someone liveblog a terrible movie!

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

It's also fun to have someone liveblog a terrible movie!

Haha.  Dude I could spend my life doing that.  I want to watch the classics and experience the forum's affection and enthusiasm for them.  How about this, I'll do Back to the Future trilogy and the Star Wars Holiday Special (or Solo?) followed by Fight Club and one TBD Western so I've covered different genres.  

And then I'll do a separate thread for the so bad they are good category of movies and do Indy 4 as the first entrant.  

11 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Thanks, Wilbur.  Is it on Disney+? Happy to do it.  But would you prefer before or after the Back to the Future trilogy? I feel like that is an important part of my remedial education.

Youtube has a copy, including the excellent TV intros, etc. as we saw it live at the time.  Ah, the nostalgic taste of crushing disappointment and childhood confusion comes back to me once more, like the scent of a 1960s paperbook, but less pleasant...

Watch it at your convenience, and maybe start a unique thread for it, as this will be special.

Archived