Why do Tyrion and Littlefinegr get shit on for being attracted to Sansa, but Harrold and the other Vale knights don't?

Alyn Oakenfist

So let's just agree that Sansa is one place where you can see just how fucked the timeline is on occasion, as Sansa at 13, having barely gotten her menstrual cycle, is considered to be sexually attractive. This is particularly obvious in the ball at the beginning of TWOW. So why is this double standard where a good part of this forum is screaming pedophile at Tyrion and Littlefinger (and remember Tyrion didn't do anything and had every political incentive to do it) while nobody even comments at Harrold and the Vale knights?

46 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

as Sansa at 13, having barely gotten her menstrual cycle, is considered to be sexually attractive.

Well, girls aged 13 can be sexually attractive, if that is their intention in the first place. It's not as if she is only 10 or something. Bran being considered almost a man grown at 6 is stupid, not Sansa being hot at 13. She is a teen, so not much of a problem. We all have through that phase, I hope. I myself am a man grown only by Westerosi standards. Not even out of my teens. Nobody has a problem with that. I saw threads about people starting ASOIAF at 11/12....like me. It all depends on your mental maturity 

good part of this forum is screaming pedophile at Tyrion and Littlefinger

I've never seen anyone do that ... recently.... In the last 3-4 months at least. 

while nobody even comments at Harrold and the Vale knights?

Not all have read Twow sample chapters. Plus many don't care as HtH is not as major as Tyrion or LF. 

There was an thread (damp squib) about problems with the very young ages of characters in Planetos who do a lot of adult-y stuff.

Why GRRM chose it to be that way is a better question. 

16 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

So let's just agree that Sansa is one place where you can see just how fucked the timeline is on occasion, as Sansa at 13, having barely gotten her menstrual cycle, is considered to be sexually attractive. This is particularly obvious in the ball at the beginning of TWOW. So why is this double standard where a good part of this forum is screaming pedophile at Tyrion and Littlefinger (and remember Tyrion didn't do anything and had every political incentive to do it) while nobody even comments at Harrold and the Vale knights?

Well maybe because Sansa finds Harry attractive as well....... Unlike Tyrion and LF..... How old is harrold hardyng by the way?

2 minutes ago, Orm said:

Well maybe because Sansa finds Harry attractive as well....... Unlike Tyrion and LF..... How old is harrold hardyng by the way?

Does she find all the knights who have the hots for her at the ball attractive? And I'm sure a lot are older then Tyrion who is 24.

7 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

I think he's 19. Attracted to a 13 year old, yuck

I wonder how you feel about Rhaegar/Lyanna then......

6 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Does she find all the knights who have the hots for her at the ball attractive? And I'm sure a lot are older then Tyrion who is 24.

I was only making a case why Harry gets a pass...... besides he could possibly be bethrothed to her......

And those knights gawking at her isn't abnormal given the period setting, if she really does look super hot......

1 minute ago, Orm said:

And those knights gawking at her isn't abnormal given the period setting, if she really does look super hot......

I kinda agree, but remember this is in compassion to how many people scream pedophile at Tyrion and Littlefinger. So what gives

2 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

I kinda agree, but remember this is in compassion to how many people scream pedophile at Tyrion and Littlefinger. So what gives

It totally depends on how hot you look actually...... Unfortunately for Tyrion, let's just say he's not described to be handsome.... And LF is borderline creepy because he downright transfers his feelings for Cat into Sansa.......

Sansa appears to be well-developed for her age.  Plenty of boys and young men find her desirable.  If Harold Hardyng married her, then according to medieval norms, the marriage would probably not be consummated until she was fifteen.  There would be nothing unusual about a twenty one year old man enjoying sexual relations with a fifteen year old wife, in a medieval world or in many parts of our world.

What makes the situation worse with either Tyrion or Littlefinger is that to begin with, she was a prisoner of the Lannisters.  She was wed by force to Tyrion.  Thankfully, he refrained from forcing himself on her, on their wedding night, but the fact that he wanted her is problematic.  He knows very well that she never wanted the wedding, and nor did her family want the wedding.  What took place is abnormal by in-universe standards, as well as by our own. 

In the case of Littlefinger, she is completely in his power.  He has some creepy fantasy at work in his mind, whereby she is both his daughter and his lover.  He demands she give passionate kisses to her "father."

44 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

You may as well grumble that the Romans didn't use cranes to build the those aqueducts. 

They didn't need to. Their engineering was just too good. One thing you really didn't get the point. I'm asking why so many people bitch about Tyrion and LF but not Harrold. Saying, fuck it it's medieval stories and GRRM really messed up his timeline is ok. Saying, let's apply a moral point here, statutory rape laws exist for a reason is also a fair point. But there seems to be this double standard in regards to Tyrion and LF.

I wonder if it really was normal for grown men (or even young adults) to find 13 year olds attractive "back then", or if  we're just used to this trope. I mean, being attracted to a 16 year old, I kinda get. Most teens are well into their sexual development at that age. But at Sansa's age? Have a look at Sophie Turner in the first ep of GOT. That's what a 13 year old looks like. I don't care what time period it is, I refuse to believe even most 18/19 year olds are lusting after that.

As for the story, GRRM is inconstant on how this stuff is supposed to be viewed in-universe. So while I think it's gross that all these dudes are lusting after barely teens, it's not something I can project onto the characters.

8 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

They didn't need to. Their engineering was just too good. One thing you really didn't get the point. I'm asking why so many people bitch about Tyrion and LF but not Harrold. Saying, fuck it it's medieval stories and GRRM really messed up his timeline is ok. Saying, let's apply a moral point here, statutory rape laws exist for a reason is also a fair point. But there seems to be this double standard in regards to Tyrion and LF.

Yeah, your original post wasn't the only one in this thread. So kindly don't put words in my mouth because you choose to assume I had to be replying only to your post. 

6 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

Yeah, your original post wasn't the only one in this thread. So kindly don't put words in my mouth because you choose to assume I had to be replying only to your post. 

I'm not putting words in your mouth. I did state my opinions on both matters. I think HtH, Tyrion, LF and the other knights are all a bit yuck, but not too much as Sansa seems pretty developed sexually. The question that still remains is why the double standard.

Archived