Police: V doesn't necessarily stand for Victory

JGP

[to continue]

---

Tywin: And yet, there's still so much poison in your tone.

---

I was thinking about this last night while driving home, and no matter how much I think I've grown since I joined this community in like '99 or whatever, I definitely still have vestigial asshole tendencies. However annoyed I feel I should be trying harder.

Sorry about that. 

13 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Lol, and yet I've been saying the exact same thing all this time. Show me when I haven't.

That's part of the problem I think. You're not adjusting the shifts and tempos.  

You got this I know how the gears of this thread together better than thou thing going on. In the last several pages you've repeatedly talked about [and over] the compromises to values required, about an achievable end goal and the rungs required to get there, and those things are fine on the surface. Yet, when talking specifically about what you think is the best approach, you jump right to the end goal, seemingly forgetting the current environment and all the rungs you need to climb, and the obstacles in your way, to get there. 

Your broad based, big tent, right wing inclusive model won't work right now. The US can get there eventually, maybe, but you're missing steps.

You've currently got a somewhat tentative and fragile peace between the Dems and the left, which is due to Trump. You may have some on the right distancing or even rejecting the current admin, but that's also due to Trump. Thinking that's an opportunity to reach out to the right, is a mistake. That compromising values to bring more of them into the fold will help rather threaten the tentative and fragile meeting of the Dems and left, is a mistake. Those are foolhardy, non risk adverse ideas at this point in time.

Covid and Trump have done all the work for you. Drum out the vote, get on vote suppression and clear as many obstacles to voting as you can. That's all the Dems have to do. But if they do something stupid like trying to go big tent and lose this election, well... [spreads hands] all your talk is a can that gets kicked even further down the road.

Achievable steps, dude.

14 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah, arguing for something that isn't going to happen is really how you turn someone inside out. Now go enjoy your booty call. 

It's been over four months, we did enjoy it.  

As to the opener there, I'm not sure how to respond to that. It's rather nonsensical. Granted, it was a dickish parting shot on my part because all I wanted to do was get ready, but you'd been flapping in the wind for a while at that point.

Still are. 

---

Because that was some serious thread drift, to get back on topic, re: Policing

I think it's pretty amazing that there's an almost global movement against current policing models. They're going to fight tooth and nail, but there's an almost inevitable feel to it. 

This kind of stuff doesn't help. It happened in Montreal on Thursday, and it's being investigated already. Normally something like that would float for a while until the hue and cry got too large to ignore, so that's a marked improvement... but what the fuck. They arrest the guy for shoplifting. Take him home to get his ID, but it's one of those casual arrests I guess, no cuffs or something, we'll just stand over here kind of things? May be my cynicism talking, but whew it just reads all kinds of bad.  

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Holy fuck take it to pm or tinder already

From a guy who often gets into multi-page, tangential back and forths... :p

I felt his last post required a response. And... I did steer it back to topic.  

Seriously @Kalbear, you telling someone to take it to pm is rich. I just wanted to take some time, let cooler heads prevail, then respond to a reasonable post when I could articulate what I thought in a way that would be more productive. 

And I mean, I did wish him to have good sex, even if we need to discuss appropriate social distancing.....

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

And I mean, I did wish him to have good sex, even if we need to discuss appropriate social distancing.....

I did appreciate it lol I know it's a sidebar, but it's also an opportunity to make cool.

British Columbia went so far as to officially advocate glory holes in a health advisory release, re: sex in the time of Covid.

It was a tough call. We're pretty close with each other, pre-covid a couple texts could set it up. During though, we texted and talked multiple times over nearly a week, ie: how seriously have you been taking this, what precautions are you taking, any issues, and about trust. It was almost exhausting. 

18 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

British Columbia went so far as to officially advocate glory holes in a health advisory release, re: sex in the time of Covid.

Finally some silver lining.

8 hours ago, TheMightyKC said:

As a white father of black children I wish we could stop all the Sexual Talk and get back to defunding the police.

-KC

God bless

By no means did I mean to undermine the importance of the subject, or the movement-- just reflexively blowing off steam in an unfortunately and stereotypically guy way.

Sorry, KC.

Really.

Yesterday I was reading about how incidents of violence et vandalism have dropped significantly in Portland since the Fed forces [agents, provocateurs, whatever] were sent packing. 

No surprise really, but I do wonder if the city police have backed off aggressive behaviors as well. Weird bind to be in insofar as messaging, can't really blame the Feds, can't take credit as a department.

10 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

Yesterday I was reading about how incidents of violence et vandalism have dropped significantly in Portland since the Fed forces [agents, provocateurs, whatever] were sent packing. 

No surprise really, but I do wonder if the city police have backed off aggressive behaviors as well. Weird bind to be in insofar as messaging, can't really blame the Feds, can't take credit as a department.

I'm not sure the feds are gone but they do seem to have been remaining in the federal buildings and have not been engaging the protesters.  I also read that the local leos have been staying 'out of sight' in buildings and haven't been interacting with the crowd.  They are around for sure.  I have seen them at the fire station standing around.  I think it might be a good strategy on the police side.  Things have seemed calmer lately.  I haven't been blocked in my train for over a week and  I haven't heard the spooky loudspeaker for a while either. 

Aurora, CO Police in the news again.  This time for detaining a black family at gunpoint.  Handcuffing everyone but the 6 year old girl in the car (who was made to lie face down on the asphalt in the afternoon sun).  Because they mistook the license plate for their vehicle for that of a stolen... motor cycle.  

The didn't notice the stolen vehicle they were looking for wasn't an SUV, it was a motorcycle.

There is no excuse for their behavior.  None.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/local/aurora-police-juveniles-detained-mistaken-id/73-df2168c3-6de0-4deb-9b78-13bc0c19e4d8

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Aurora, CO Police in the news again.  This time for detaining a black family at gunpoint.  Handcuffing everyone but the 6 year old girl in the car (who was made to lie face down on the asphalt in the afternoon sun.  Because they mistook the license plate for their vehicle for that of a stolen... motor cycle.  

The didn't notice the stolen vehicle they were looking for wasn't an SUV, it was a motorcycle.

There is no excuse for their behavior.  None.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/local/aurora-police-juveniles-detained-mistaken-id/73-df2168c3-6de0-4deb-9b78-13bc0c19e4d8

Outrageous and frightening, since my sister and her family live in Aurora.

13 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

We can argue all day over whether destruction of property serves a purpose during protest or not, but i think everyone on every side would agree that vandalism shouldn't come with a life sentence.

Mostly, but if you start a fire that causes a million pound worth of damage? Your sentence should be pretty severe. Fires dont always do what you want, setting them indiscriminately should carry harsh sentences, there's almost always a risk to life. 

Throwing bricks through windows though, or similar, definitely not. 

Archived